......to Second-Hand Reactions
A regular column by Gloria Gilbère N.D., D.A.Hom., Ph.D.
Gloria Gilbère is an internationally respected traditional naturopath, homeopath and doctor of natural health. Author of the bestselling books 'I was Poisoned by my Body' and 'Invisible Illnesses', she restored her own health after suffering from leaky gut syndrome, fibromyalgia, and multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS), and now successfully helps others do the same. She focuses on finding drug-free solutions to 'invisible illnesses' such as these which she refers to as Multiple Allergic Response Syndromes (MARS).
You can now benefit from Gloria's wisdom and experience by visiting us at The Environmental Illness Resource regularly to read her latest column!
Monday, October 22nd, 2007:
Healthy Mother + Healthy Nursery = Healthy Baby (Part 2 of 2)
by Gloria Gilbère, N.D., D.A.Hom., PhD., Wholistic Rejuvenist
Continuing our article of healthy advice for expectant mothers and parents, many individuals still question the importance of natural health, non-toxic protocols and life-styles. My hope is that the following statistics will make you think twice before using toxic ingredients and substances ingested, applied to the body or in your environment.
- In the 1950s before plastic disposables arrived, 5% of babies had diaper rash. Now, 95% of American babies are in plastic disposables and 70% of babies have diaper rash. Moisture and heat cause diaper rash. As plastic doesn't breath, it traps moisture and generates a lot of heat. Cloth diapers or natural diaper liners that are biodegradable are the best option.
- Most human research in cancer risk from exposure to toxins begins after the cancer is diagnosed. However, as chemicals and other toxins are increasingly saturating our environment, researchers are beginning to look at the effect of these environmental toxins, such as pesticides and PCBs, on an unborn child.For instance, several human studies have found a link between fetal exposure to contaminants and cancer in children and young adults. Studies reviewed include occupational exposures of parents and brain cancers in children; pesticides, paints, paint thinners and solvents and leukemia; and cigarette smoke and childhood cancer.
An embryo and fetus develop at a much faster rate than adults. While this development occurs, cell division and growth is rapid. These rapid changes provide many opportunities for mistakes to occur. If a baby is exposed to several toxic compounds in utero, changes may occur that either directly cause cancer, or lengthen the period of sensitivity to carcinogens, therefore making the child more susceptible to cancer later in life.
- Children who live near electricity power lines are at an increased risk of developing leukemia. One theory to why this occurs is that the high voltage lines emit charged particles called ions, which may then be inhaled.
- CT scans are high in potentially dangerous radiation, and pose a significant threat to children. CT scans, and traditional X-rays, have been associated with cancer and heart disease. I recommend you avoid CT scans unless your or your child's life depends upon it. Note: MRIs are typically safer than CT scans
- Pressure-treated (CCA) wood, which has been in production for 70 years, will no longer be manufactured in the United States for residential use. This is good news as CCA wood (CCA is a toxic and carcinogenic wood preservative, chromated copper arsenate), often used for wooden decks, picnic tables and swing sets, contains arsenic--a known human carcinogen--that rubs off when the wood is touched.Children tend to put their hands in their mouth about 16 times an hour while playing, and those who have arsenic on their hands are at an increased risk of developing lung and bladder cancer.
Some 90 percent of all outdoor wooden structures in the United States are made with pressure-treated wood; however a recall is not scheduled even though weathered lumber may leach even more arsenic than new boards.
Concerns about the wood were raised during the 1970s, but even years later no one was aware that food should not touch it, clothes that came in contact with it should be washed separately, and gloves and goggles should be worn if the wood is sanded or sawed.
During the 1980s and 1990s, several incidents occurred that showed just how dangerous the wood could be. For instance:
- The EPA recommended that pressure-treated wood sold directly to consumers via lumberyards and home improvement centers bear warning labels.
- Workers in wood treatment plants were found to have elevated levels of arsenic in their urine.
- A government employee became completely disabled after building picnic tables in an unventilated shop.
- Eight members of a family fell ill with a mysterious neurological disease that turned out to be arsenic poisoning caused by burning pressure-treated lumber in the wood stove.During 2001 and 2002, U.S. citizens began to focus on the hazards that arsenic-treated wood pose to children, as reports have shown that children who frequently play on CCA structures have an increased risk of cancer and other health conditions.
Studies are currently underway to determine if a sealant could be applied to CCA wood to protect children form the arsenic, but for now much of the wood is still out there and consumers are left to protect themselves and their children from chemical toxins.
Redwood and cedar do not require this arsenic-containing preservative and are therefore not a specific health concern. Plastic or metal equipment is generally safe. Source: Dr. Joseph Mercola mercola.com: 3.6.04
Similar to leukemia, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma (called NHL) is a cancer of increased numbers of white blood cells. Strong evidence of NHL being a cancer resulting from chemical exposure is the fact that it is common only in industrialized countries and continues to increase over 3% per year.
The September 29, 1997 New York Times article entitled "New Toxins Suspected as Cancer Rate Rises in Children" discussed the rises being seen in child cancers over the past 20 years. Specific quotes from the article include the following:
The rate of cancer among American children has been rising for decades. Although the reasons remain unclear, many experts suspect the increase may be partly the result of growing exposure to new chemicals in the environment.
- And today, according to experts in the field, a newborn child faces a risk of about 1 in 600 of contracting cancer by age 10.
- Depending on which types of cancer are counted, and in what age groups among the nation's youth, the rate of increase has amounted to nearly 1 percent a year, according to the National Cancer Institute. Over a few decades, that has meant striking double-digit increases.
- "I had not realized that the numbers were going up that way," said Karen Florini, a lawyer specializing in health issues at the Environmental Defense Fund. "I think it indicates a very disturbing trend that we had better get to the bottom of."
- In the United States, cancer is diagnosed each year in an estimated 8,000 children below the age of 15. Cancer, although it kills fewer children than accidents do, is the most common form of fatal childhood disease, accounting for about 10 percent of all deaths in childhood.
- Acute lymphoblastic leukemia in boys and girls increased 27 percent between 1973 and 1990; since then, the rate in boys has declined, but it is still rising in girls. Brain cancer, or glioma, increased nearly 40 percent from 1973 to 1994. These two forms of cancer account for most of the disease in children.
- Although the causes are not known and are probably many, some experts say, toxins in the air, food, dust, soil and drinking water are prime suspects.
- "I'm talking about new research on air pollutants, water pollutants and pesticides and their effects on children," said Carol Browner, the administrator of the EPA, "and new testing guidelines that routinely incorporate children's issues into EPA's risk assessments. I'm talking about moving beyond the chemical-by-chemical approaches of the past, and instead looking at a child's total cumulative risk from all exposures to toxic chemicals."
- "The increases are too rapid to reflect genetic changes, and better diagnostic detection is not a likely explanation," said Dr. Philip Landrigan, a pediatrician who directs the division of environmental medicine at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York City and who is the senior adviser to a new office of children's health at the EPA "The strong probability exists that environmental factors are playing a role."
- In a study published in The American Journal of Public Health in February 1995, researchers suggested that "use of home pesticides may be associated with some types of childhood cancer."Another study, published in The Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology in 1993, found associations between brain cancer in Missouri children and the use of pesticides in homes and yards. Source: NEW YORK TIMES, John H. Cushman, Jr., September 29, 1997
- Increased Brain Cancer Rates are at least partially suspected to be caused by the diet drink ingredient ASPARTAME (also known as Nutra-Sweet®). Concern arises as new research shows diet drink sweeteners can cause mutagenic damage, according to Scientists at Washington University.Source: Journal of Neuropathology & Experimental Neurology
Dr. Gloria Gilbère is a traditional naturopath, homeopath, doctor of natural health, a Wholistic Skin and Body Rejuvenist and creator of a certificated course by the same name that is taught all over the world. She is internationally respected as an authoritative influence in the causes, effects and drug-free solutions for Leaky Gut Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue and Chemically Induced Immune System Disorders.
She is author of 9 books including: I was Poisoned by My Body, Invisible Illnesses , "Nature's Prescription Milk: Discovering the Healing Powers of Goat-Milk Products and Pain / Inflammation MATTERS
For details regarding:
- Personalized consulting via telephone worldwide or at her office in Sandpoint, Idaho, USA;
- Health education travel programs and lectures;
- Certificated Wholistic Rejuvenation (WSBR) classes for skin, spa, and health care professionals;
- To purchase products used and recommended by Dr. Gilbère, her books, a list of her speaking and educational forums, and an archive of her articles, visit her website at www.gloriagilbere.com.
Learn more from Gloria's books:
I Was Poisoned By My Body, The Odyssey of a Doctor Who Reversed Fibromyalgia, Leaky Gut Syndrome, and Multiple Chemical Sensitivity - Naturally!
» Buy Now
» Buy Now
Pain/Inflammation Matters: Recipes for Life
» Buy Now
The information provided is not to be construed as medical advice, diagnosis, treatment or cures for any condition, disease or disorder. It is presented as educational and investigative material and the consumer assumes full-responsibility for using any product, procedure, protocol or therapy.
Gloria E. Gilbère, LLC, and its representatives, does not warrant and shall have no liability for information provided in this newsletter or on this website, intended or implied. Consult your health care professional for medical-related conditions or concerns.