Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: UK AF advice

UK AF advice 9 years 7 months ago #1

First hello and what a brilliant site. I am Karen 33 and based in Birmingham UK and don't usually diagnose myself over the internet but I've spent the last week reading around the issue of adrenal fatigue and I'm thinking now it could be the explanation for how I feel

I am totally dead in the morning when I get up at 8am and don't feel \"okay \" until afternoon and don't feel \"normal\" until 9pm night time when my brain wakes up.

I have gained 2 stone in a year which is diet related as I am reaching for salted junk food to keep me going

I feel so lethargic in the day that I've lost all motivation and have to push myself through the day

I've been having mild panic attacks that leave me weak and shaky

I've read as much as I can about AF but am confused over how to tackle it. I've been reading about tests and dhea supplements and licorice root

Could anyone give me some good advice on where I should start. Should I get tested - where can do this. Or is there a better place to start

Thank you

K x
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:UK AF advice 9 years 7 months ago #2

• konnor
  • EiR Senior
It sounds like you may have some symptoms of adrenal fatigue. A reliance on junk food and lethargy are key indicators.

It's definately worth taking a test. One of the most useful tests is the Adrenal Stress Index, available from a number of labroratories such as the Red Apple Clinic, Genova Diagnostics or Metametrix.

The harsh reality is you probably won't make much progress with conventional medicine, however it's certainly worth a work up and getting some blood work done to rule out anything serious. Speaking to an endocrinologist may also help, after which they may or may not authorise some more tests, such as a GTT, ACTH stimulation test, blood cortisol and a further thyriod panel.

All of this is useful information but be expected to be told you are well. As AF is sub clinical, only physicians with a thorough understanding of how sub optimal function of the adrenal glands can contribute to chronic illness will be able to help you. Finding someone like this is rare.

If you only have a few symptoms at present you may have chronically high cortisol. This is an initial response by the adrenal glands to adapt to the added stress you are under. Symptom wise allot can still remain 'hidden' in this phase, until the adrenals start to become exhausted and cortisol output drops below normal levels.

There is a significant amount of lifestyle/dietary and supplemental changes you can make even now while you are in the infancy of discovering the clues to your health. Most of this can be applied simply for good health even if AF isn't the primary cause.

Cutting out the junk food and refined carbs would be a start.

For one of the most comprehensive guides on AF that will really get your started check out this website.

http://www.drlam.com/articles/adrenal_fatigue.asp

Good luck

Re:UK AF advice 9 years 7 months ago #3

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
Hi Karen,

Welcome to the site and the forums! I hope we can help you out and that you'll hang around and help us grow our community :)

As Konnor says you do show some very typical signs of adrenal fatigue. In the morning (about 6am) a healthy body should be at its peak cortisol output and it is this that gives you the energy and motivation to get out of bed in the morning. Not being able to do this and feeling sluggish well into the day then finally feeling more like yourself in the evening are typical of adrenal fatigue.

Cravings for salty foods are another dead give away. The adrenal glands also control blood volume and pressure through the mineralcorticoid hormones. In adrenal fatigue people tend to have low blood volume and blood pressure and eating lots of salt helps the body retain water and correct these problems.

The Adrenal Stress Index (ASI) test is the one to go for and either a doctor registered at http://www.ecomed.org.uk or a nutritional therapist whom you can locate through http://www.nutripeople.co.uk or http://www.bant.org.uk will be able to help with this and offer advice on treatment.

Konnor's recommendation of Dr. Lam's website is spot on. Dr. Lam is one of the leading experts on AF.

Until you have a diagnosis you can't go wrong eating a low-carb, low glycaemic diet with plenty of whole foods and vegetables, avoiding stimulants (e.g. coffee and tea) and alcohol and avoiding stress as much as possible (maybe have to wait until after Christmas on these!). Learning some relaxation techniques and practicing some form of meditation, yoga, og qi gong can also be very beneficial.

For your information, here are my latest ASI results from last summer and Konnor has recently posted his in the forums.

Take care and Merry Christmas!<br /><br />Post edited by: Maff, at: 2009/12/24 14:19
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re:UK AF advice 9 years 7 months ago #4

• david
  • EiR Junior
I've been very pleased with the service of Dr Myhill in Wales. Her website is www.drmyhill.co.uk. You can do the ASI test through her website and she interprets your results and sends a very thorough letter to you and your GP of you wish, having read your medical questionnaire which you must complete first. My results were a bit delayed as there was an unforseen problem at the lab and xmas inbetween but I would still really recommend her & her team.
Good luck on your road to recovery!

Related Articles:

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds