Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New here

New here 8 years 9 months ago #1

Hi

Just a quick intro.
I had my left adrenal gland removed a few months ago as I had a 6.5cm tumour.
Since the op I have felt awful!
Recent blood work shows that my cortisol is a bit elevated, DHEA is low, and calcium and vitamin D are chronically low. Testosterone levels are virtually non existant.

Would this be classified as adrenal fatigue?
I should have asked my doctor but I was so overwhelmed with everything I didnt think to ask.

Thanks

ETA: My doc prescribed DHEA supplements, testosteron cream and calcium etc.<br /><br />Post edited by: DominiqueG, at: 2010/10/28 06:47
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:New here 8 years 9 months ago #2

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
Hi Dominique,

First of all...welcome to the site :)

Besides calcium, all the things that tested low are steroid hormones which the adrenal glands are responsible for manufacturing. In women the adrenals are the main site of testosterone production (the testes have this role in men).

Since you have had your left adrenal gland removed your condition would be considered more than simply 'adrenal fatigue' and more akin to 'adrenal insufficiency'. Obviously, your body now needs to produce the same quantities of steroid hormones using only one adrenal gland, rather than two.

Hormone replacement therapy such as your DHEA supplements and testosterone cream would be the usual treatment. I would ask your doctor about vitamin D supplements as well however, as vitamin D (actually a steroid hormone) is increasingly being shown to have 9important roles in regulating everything from mood to immunity.

It is also important that your hormone levels are kept in the normal ranges and I would assume your doctor will be doing blood tests to check on this regularly?

Lifestyle advice and supplements recommended for adrenal fatigue may benefit you but you should talk to the doctor prescribing the hormones for you before you take anything else yourself.

Take care,

Maff
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Related Articles:

Time to create page: 0.277 seconds