Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Phosphatidylserine for high evening cortisol

Phosphatidylserine for high evening cortisol 7 years 5 months ago #1

• TheStache
  • EiR Junior
My doc has recommended taking phosphatidylserine in the evening to help dampen my high cortisol levels, and reduce insomnia.

I have tried melatonin (1mg) in the past, and although it did help immensely with the insomnia, I had very unrestful sleep and often awoke unrested.

Does anyone have experience with phosphatidylserine they can share?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Phosphatidylserine for high evening cortisol 7 years 5 months ago #2

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
I gave this a half-hearted trial a couple of years back without success. I think I was only taking 200mg before bed time however and after researching this a little just now it's clear that you need at least 400mg to get a significant effect. A lot of studies have used up to 1200mg.

There is a lot of favourable research on the ability of PS to reduce cortisol and the intensity of the stress response as a whole - just visit http://scholar.google.com and search for "phosphatidylserine cortisol" and you'll find loads of studies on the subject.

Given the above I think it's well worth a good go and since I am about to try other things to address my own adrenal fatigue (glandulars, DHEA etc) I think I will include PS at a substantial dose. The only reason I didn't go high enough with the dose last time around is the cost which unfortunately is pretty scary at 400mg and upwards per day!

I've used melatonin for years with similar results to yours. It definitely helps me get off to sleep but doesn't do anything for sleep quality. Not surprising when we have high cortisol and blood sugar imbalance among other factors contributing to sleep disturbance though ;)

Let me know how you get on and if you find a cheap source of a good quality PS supplement.
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re: Phosphatidylserine for high evening cortisol 7 years 5 months ago #3

• Maff
  • Administrator
Hey, I replied earlier but their was a problem with emal noifications not going out!

Wated to add that I really want to try this HRF-Thalamic glandular product from Ecological Formulas but since it is brain tissue from bovine source I am more than a little concerned about potential risks regarding CJD/prion diseases. I think I'll contact them to find out more about the cattle used.

Re: Phosphatidylserine for high evening cortisol 7 years 5 months ago #4

• TheStache
  • EiR Junior
Excellent! Thanks for the tip on Google scholar references, phosphatidylserine looks very promising for both mental AND physical stress responses, which are a huge area of concern for me right now given how poor I respond to even low levels of either. Very promising.

I did notice most available products only have 100mg per capsule, so although the cost will definitely be there, I am happy to experiment. I expect I will be able to tell whether there are positive results or not given how extreme my stress response system is at the moment.

As for the melatonin/insomnia, I have tried lowering my dosage again down to 0.5mg, and have seen a much better mix of reduced insomnia/good quality sleep.

I'll let you know how the PS works out.

Re: Phosphatidylserine for high evening cortisol 7 years 5 months ago #5

• Maff
  • Administrator
No problem. I found Google Scholar invaluable when studying for my degree and it's also handy when writing for EiR!

The studies on PS do look very promising indeed and I am surprised how many have been conducted. I am the same as you in that both mental and physical stress cause me to crash. I wake up every day in a panic yet don't have the energy and drive to get myself out of bed until most of the morning has passed me by. Any problem, however small, also seems insurmountable...hence my current determination to get some effective adrenal support in place.

I've decided to give PS another go as part of my strategy and found Doctor's Best from iherb.com was the most reasonably priced but still of a decent quality. The capsules are still only 100mg each but you get 120 for ~$32 (RRP $55) so not too bad. I plan to start with 400mg around 10pm and if that produces no benefit I'll crank it up to 800mg.

Might also be worth checking out a product called Seriphos as it is recommended by many doctors and other nutritional medicine practitioners. It contains the active phosphorylated form of serine which according to this article is 5 times as potent as plain phosphatidylserine - http://store.agoodvitamin.com/inseadadsu10.html

Let me know how you get on with this and we can compare notes!

Glad you've found a dosage of melatonin that seems to suit you :)
Last Edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Maff.

Re: Phosphatidylserine for high evening cortisol 7 years 4 months ago #6

• TheStache
  • EiR Junior
I went with the soy based phosphatidylserine from Swansons (100mg). So far I have only played with taking a one pill dose, but have seen some positive results. More than anything I have noticed it has a calming, sedative-like effect, so much so that I will probably not take more than a 100mg dose during the day.

At night, 100mg seems to have some effect, but it is short lived. For example, I took the 100mg dosage at 9pm last night and felt very calm and relaxed until I went to bed around 10pm, and noticed my energy (and most likely cortisol) increase as I laid in bed. I will look to either time the dosage a bit bitter at night (say 30 minutes before going to bed) or up the dosage to 200mg or more.

I will keep experimenting, and let you know what I figure out.

Related Articles:

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds