Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Adrenal Fatique and Chronic Insomnia - HELP

Adrenal Fatique and Chronic Insomnia - HELP 7 years 8 months ago #1

Hi all

This is my first post, ive been reading lots of the threads on the adrenal fatique trying to find a way or trying to sort it out, but starting to lose faith in pretty much everything now...

My story..(in a very small nutshell!)

After a six month period, two years ago of physical over training (martial artist - tournament training) I came down with a virus which never really went away. Chronic fatigue, sore muscles, swollen glands, brain fogs,very much similar to the symptoms of ME. I struggled through, pretty going from 1 good day to bad, slowly seeing the good days get more and the bad days less. At the time, because of the tiredness I believed the recovery was down to sleep, and I tried to do this as much as possible, and I was using codiene as it seemed to work the best and I was suffering from depression from pretty much losing most of my life and being house bound for so long. I was freelancing at the time, so only worked enough to pay my bills) It meant I could sleep and feel better for longer periods of time...eventually after almost four months of no severe symptoms I thought I had go through the otherside and found myself a new job. Thats when things got worse.

I stopped takin codiene to sleep as I wanted to start a new life symptom free, yet from the very first day I started, I found I couldnt deal with stress and everything was literally 'stressing' me out. I couldnt sleep. I would go to bed around 11pm and wake up at 2.30/3.00 everyday, and unable to go back to sleep with 'thoughts racing around my head'. I thought it was just initial new job new world reactions, but it never went away, just got worse and worse. I was pushing through, working long hours, not sleeping and around christmas I came down with a terrible flu that knocked me for six for over a month. I came back to life and felt good for around two weeks, then it all started again, the stress, the insomnia, the chest infections, the anxiety..everything. Again I battled through, but at this point I was sleeping 7 hours in a week sometimes, and it was taking its toll of me mentally and physically, I looked like a drug addict with my bloodshot eyes, lethargy, inability to balance or concentrate. My GP was all sleep tablets, anti-depressants etc but nothing helped.

Eventually through my own research I discovered the concept of adrenal fatique. I found a local nuitrition who got me a ASI test through Genova Diagnostics and the results came back as Adrenal Fat5ique - Non adapted response. (IVe attached the result page). He told me to use Thron adrenal glandulars and through my own research i developed a plan...

a0137118-asp-1-1.jpg

AM
Thorn Glandular
JArrow B Complex
Vitamin C Ester C
Jarrow Adrenal Optimizer
Tyrosine

Lunch
Deva Multi Vitamin
Thorn Glandular
Co-Enzyme Q10
Vit C

Evening
Magnesium
Flaxseed Oil
Vit C
Jarrow Theanine

Bed
Amitrypyline

At first I found a massive change, especially in body temperature, I was warm and clammy for almost two weeks and it was slightly easier to get through the day. I spent six weeks using the glandulars, till they became ineffective, and I didnt want to take more and more. At this time I had blood tests done at the endocriologist (for which ive only just had the results). The nuitrionist (not a great one but the only one I could afford and find) gave me Isocort which I was meant to use when trying to excercise (ive gone from super fit daily runner to pretty much zero excercise now and I wanted to get some of it back (Karate, mountain biking, sky diving,running, climbing was basically my life).

I began using this, 2 pellets three times a day which really helped, and combinging 3mg Melatonin, 500mg Valeriun, 10mg Amitriptyline at night I began sleeping a bit better..although felt absolutely aful throughut the next day ( I was taking up to 150mg Amit in the summer and wanted to bring it down as being 'drugged' up only helped my mood and I hated it) biu as soon as I do any training, my body seems to go into overdrive..and now again, im waking up literally with nervous energy at 3am, I can only describe as anxiety racing through me. Unable to get back to sleep, I feel like im back to square one. I just dont want to rely on taking so many pills especially melatonin and amit..but it seems like its the only thing thats works.

What I do notice is on the rare occasion when I do sleep, I feel so much better the next day, and I just wish I could have prolonged periods of sleeping...Ive had a course of CBT with a great therapist and hypnotherapy, which have helped, but nothing is fixed as the medical situation is still there. IVe began trying Relora in the evenin which does calm me down a bit, but dosent help the sleep. My blood results came in from the endocriologist and both my testosterone and estrogen levels are dangerously high - they feel it might of been the glandulars and want me to go three weeks without any supplements for a blank canvas blood test in January.

Im at my whits end, seriously considering what my options are...can I really go on like this? ive lost my entire life, I cant do anything I love, I cant have a relationship, im literally just like the living dead with wild moodswins..I cancel on people literally on a daily basis as I cant forsee how ill feel from day to day. My diet is really good, i barely drink, but ive put on a stone in the last year and I crave sugar all the time.

Currently I take

AM
Isocort x 2
JArrow B Complex
Vitamin C Ester C
Jarrow Adrenal Optimizer

Lunch
Deva Multi Vitamin
Isocort x2
Co-Enzyme Q10
Vit C

Evening
Magnesium
Flaxseed Oil
Vit C
Relora

Bed
10mg Amitrypyline
500mg valariun
3mg Melatonin

Is there anything I havent tried or used to manage this? I dont know what else to do. If anyone has the time Id love to hear any opinions/advice etc Im not sure if taking Isocort AND Relora is sensible, but I know the Relora can help manage weight....I really, just need to sleep.

Lonely in London..
Last Edit: 7 years 8 months ago by wiredgeneration. Reason: jpeg
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Adrenal Fatique and Chronic Insomnia - HELP 7 years 8 months ago #2

• sb1956
  • EiR Newbie
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi,

I feel your pain! My Environmental MD put me on cortef (script, steroid) it does not feed yeast and it has helped the adrenal fatique. I am now off of it after 9 years on it. Also, it is important to sleep and I had to go on Ambien (script). For the Fybromyalgia, Flexeral (script). My doctor told me that I could not heal without good REM sleep. I do take 3mg. of Melatonin each night. At first when it was really bad my doctor had me take 3mg. before bed and if I woke up to take another 3mg. I now am on only 3mg before bed. It has taken a long time, however I now can fall asleep on my own and stay asleep. My Adrenal Gland just needed time to repair itself. I also take 100mg of 5-HTP each night before I go to bed. My doctor requires me to read a lot, he had me read "Andrenal Fatique: the 21st Century Stress Syndrome", by James L Wilson and Johnathan V. Wright.
I hope this helps.

Re: Adrenal Fatique and Chronic Insomnia - HELP 7 years 8 months ago #3

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
Hi Wired,

I am not surprised the Isocort has helped given your flatlined cortisol on the ASI. I have a few thoughts that might help your sleep situation. if it were me I would either cut out the lunchtime Isocort completely and see how I go or knock it back to one pellet rather than two. If you feel you need more I would take three in the morning and one at lunch rather than an equal split. In health, the body naturally has the highest levels of cortisol in the morning which tail off progressively throughout the day. If you work with a naturopathic physician or similar you could also see if Cortef (hydrocortisone) is a better fit for cortisol replacement.

I also notice you are still taking Co-Q10. I would knock that on the head for now. When we have adrenal fatigue we become highly sensitive to anything with a stimulant action (hence your "wired" feelings) and Co-Q10 can act like a stimulant due to its role in energy production. I was going to say I'd stay away from tyrosine for the same reason but it looks like you've already stopped that.

For your high sex steroids there is a herb known as Tribulus terrestris for which some evidence indicates a "testosterone balancing" effect - i.e. it raises low levels or reduces high levels but does not have an effect on individuals with normal levels to begin with. Maybe worth looking into regardless of the validity of this. I have used it myself and found it helps with the major symptoms of adrenal fatigue inc. fatigue, exhaustion, stress intolerence, low mood, and sleep. Perhaps mention this to your nutritionist for them to check out.

Hope this helps and good luck!
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Related Articles:

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds