Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: My thoughts and program

Re:My thoughts and program 9 years 11 months ago #7

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
Hi Konnor,

I must be doing something right if I'm giving that first impression with the site! Unfortunately Google has been messing with its search results lately and somehow I've managed to come out about 25% down on visitors the past few months.

I'd love to make the site into what it truly could be (daily news, many more articles, interviews with doctors/researchers etc) but I can't do it all myself and the the site is barely generating enough income for me to live on so no chance of employing anyone else at the moment!

It would be great if you could setup an adrenal fatigue site but I hope you also stick around here and share more with us.

Adrenal fatigue as a rssult of major fungal-type dysbiosis (Candida) are what I've really been struggling with for the past 10 years. I can't take anything for the Candida (including simply probiotics) as the die-off symptoms are so severe (irritability, restlesness, aggressive urges, despair etc....all very pleasant ;) ). I am struggling as to what to do next and a faecal/fecal transplant is one last ditch option. Yes, it IS exactly what it sounds like. Faeces from a healthy donor with healthy gut flora is repeatedly passed down a tube into your intestines.

In terms of adrenal fatigue I have had some considerable success with DHEA supplements (available from iherb.com) and licorice. I'd advise using these only under the supervision of a knowledgeable doctor however as they are powerful and not free from side-effects.

I know where you're coming from exactly with the overstimulaton. I have found so many supplements that have made me feel so much more alive, particularly mentally, only to find after a few days I can't sleep at all and end up exhausted. It really is a balancing act with adrenal fatigue.

In terms of customs/VAT charges I find that on reasonable sized orders (say $50+) the heavily discounted prices at iherb.com cancel out these costs.

Oh and I forgot to mention in reponse to your earlier post that yes, Dr. Lam has some really in depth articles on adrenal and thyroid issues on his site and would be a good doctor to discuss things with. He allows his material to be reposted so I will try to get some of his articles up on this site shortly.

I hope you manage to get into a course like nutrition at some point. It sounds like you're already very clued up and the more of us who have actually suffered from these conditions and are qualified and in a position to help others the better!
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:My thoughts and program 9 years 11 months ago #8

• konnor
  • EiR Senior
To generate enough income to even partially sustain an income is good in these modern times. Back in the day I helped design a site that eventually became a page rank 5 with 1 million unique hits a year. The owner only made about £50 a month! You’ve really got have something special to ‘make it’ online. I certainly think your going in the right direction. The US seems slightly ahead of us in terms of treatment options and resources, which is probably understandable due to the higher prevalence of these illnesses from poor diets and lifestlye. My research has led me to find numerous doctors in the US with high levels of adrenal fatigue expertise, however I’m yet to find one in the UK that can even remotely get close to the knowledge that someone like Dr Lam has in the subject.

I know exactly how you feel with the die-off. I’m also unable to tolerate die off due to the strain it puts on my body, particularly the liver with probioitics only. Admittedly they were one of the strongest probiotics on the market but I was still well under the recommended dose. My brain fog (among other things) went through the roof, and after a few unpleasant experiences, realised this wasn’t just a cleansing reaction that I needed to get through.

It’s a chicken and egg situation. Is the Candida stressing the adrenals or is adrenal weakness creating an environment for Candida. The best I can do is deal with both as best I can. As my addiction to simple carbs caused hypoglycaemia, which then exhausted me, I lean towards adrenal fatigue being the cause, but Candida can just as well thrive under the same conditions. The link between hypoglycaemia and Candida seems a grey area, i.e. people acknowledge it exists but I’m yet to see a comprehensive explanation of how Candida interferes with blood sugar.

I’ve not come across a faecal transplant. I had a colonic last weekend and she mentioned on occasion she had literally inserted probiotics into the gut which you then spread across the bowel wall. Does this sound like a similar thing?

Yeah I stall away from licorice. Pretty much every website that has some information on adrenal fatigue recommends it but it has an immediate stimulatory effect on me. One question I am seeking the answer for is whether that ‘wired’ feeling you occasionally get with a stimulatory supplement has a direct impact on the cortisol level.

I’ve never tried DHEA and don’t think I will unless under expert supervision. The ASI I did last year, which is now well out of date showed good levels and ratios so I’ll keep it at the back of my mind with regards to possible next steps.

I think I remember seeing you mentioned you approached Dr Myhill last year? Did you find it useful? It seems like a bargain – the cost of the ASI test + £25 and she will send a letter of recommendations to you and your GP. I guess this isn’t as thorough as an appointment and by the looks of the site she doesn’t do these. However if the recommendations are detailed enough this might be worth doing.

Anyone, probably straying wildly off topic but its encouraging when you meet someone in a similar position to yourself, even if we are both in relatively poor health!

Re:My thoughts and program 9 years 11 months ago #9

• Maff
  • Administrator
Hey,

Thanks, I'm quite proud of how well the site is doing considering my state of health and the fact I've done it all myself - albeit with occasional help from friends with more coding knowledge than me!

The site currently averages about 750k visitors per year but yes, makes considerably more than £50 a month - I'd be straight back on benefits if it didn't ;)

I still have a greater vision for the site though which I hope will be realised at some point.

Anayway, onto health! I agree there are many more doctors in the US who have embraced environmental medicine and have extensive knowledge on adrenal fatigue and other issues. There are even licensed naturopathic medical schools in the US who train NDs (as opposed to MDs) who can be licensed as primary care physicians in many states. Options are very limited in the UK other than a few Harley Street clinics and the odd doctor scattered about the country.

Adrenal fatigue and Candida are certainly a chicken and egg situation. Poor adrenal function is linked to lowered immunity which of course could allow Candida to proliferate. On the other hand the adrenal glands can become fatigued due to stress of any kind, including infections and toxic exposure (e.g. Candida toxins - ethanol, acetaldehyde etc). Your intention to treat both concurrently is the correct one in my opinion.

The connection between Candida and hypoglycaemia is really quite simple. Its a result of the production of ethanol by Candida in the gut and its metabolism by the body - which interferes with blood sugar control. Here's what happens:

n.b. you may have to look some of this up if you're not familiar with biochemistry.

1. Candida overgrowth in the gut is chronically producing ethanol as it ferments carbohydrates consumed.
2. The liver is forced to metabolise thanol instead of its preferred fatty acid fuel.
3. Breakdown of ethanol interferes with the Kreb's cycle (citric acid cycle) - the major energy production system in the mitochondria of the cell.
4. NAD+ - a vital chemical derived from vitamin B3 (niacin) is used up by ethanol metabolism and so none is left for regular energy production through the Kreb's cycle.
5. Pyruvate is converted into lactate (lactic acid) in order to recycle NAD+ and get energy metabolism going again.
6. Blood Glucose starts to fall which causes a drop in insulin.
7. Gluconeogenesis (production of new blood glucose from glycogen stores, fat and protein) cannot occur as it is blocked by ethanol - this leads to hypoglycaemia and further drops in insulin.

All of this also ultimately results in the build up of fat in the liver (so called \"fatty liver\") because the liver has to deal with the ethanol and cannot metabolise fats normally.

I hope this makes sense and sheds some light on the Candida - hypoglycaemia connection for you!<br /><br />Post edited by: Maff, at: 2009/08/25 20:36

Re:My thoughts and program 9 years 11 months ago #10

• konnor
  • EiR Senior
Thanks for that.

Certainly an avenue I'll look into researching, especially as my hypoglycemia isn't responding well to all the normal treatments.

It could explain my liver ache as the link between adrenal fatigue and liver ache isn't immediately clear.

Have you tried Glutatione in any capacity? I'm considering purchasing a bottle of liposomal although it's extremely expensive (will set me back at least $100 including tax and shipping). As well as your mention of acetaldehyde blocking the activity of Glutathione, Dr Lam has recently updated his supplement recommendations to include Glutatione as a liver detoxifier and recycler of inactive oxidized vitamin C.

I've also just read your post from a couple of days ago explaining your back story a little bit. I’ve no doubt you’ve considered/tried this but have you thought about going for colon hydrotherapy? It might only help with clearing some debris and Candida in the large intestine, however I noticed a significant improvement in my bowel movements (as well as expelling some Candida) which can only be good for the whole body.

Keep the faith dude. Think positive, take each day as it comes and be proud of your progress to date and the knowledge you’ve picked up.

Re:My thoughts and program 9 years 11 months ago #11

• Maff
  • Administrator
No problem. Many of these associations are easily explainable with basic biochemistry - which makes it even more infuriating that the medical profession generally takes no notice!

Any problems with the gut (e.g. food allergies, inflammation, dysbiosis, leaky gut syndrome) put an extra strain on the liver....which in turn brings the adrenals down as they work very closely to regulate energy metabolism. I'd recommend having an intestinal permeability test to determine if you have any gut issues....it's cheap compared to other tests and is a simple urine test you can do at home. It will indicate whether any of the other things I mentioned are present and require further testing.

I have tried everything to raise glutathione (other than liposomal incidentally) as I obviously have a high toxic load from Candida, leaky gut syndrome etc and because a Detoxification Profile from Genova Diagnostics showed glutathione conjugation to be borderline low. Regular reduced glutathione is considered useless as it is broken down by the digestive system and doesn't raise blood or cell levels (so strange Dr. Lam is recommending it - or does he just want to raise glutathione in general?). N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) is a good cheap option proven to work. It is used intravenously in various acute poisonings in hospitals. Undenatured whey is regarded highly by a number of physicians and I have personally found that the LifeWave Glutathione patches are very effective - I experienced a detox reaction from them like I had not experienced before.

If you do take the plunge with the liposomal I'd love to hear how you get on with it.

Thanks for reading the Candida article I posted a few days ago and for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I've tried colon hydrotherapy on more than one occassion - I was in a Mexican alternative medicine hospital and had them every other day for 3 weeks. No change. The problem is that the Candida overgrowth is in my ileum (lower part of the small intestine), judging by the gurgling and bubbling, and colon hydrotherapy doesn't reach this area. If it helped you though that's great!

Great to have you on the site and thanks for the encouraging words. I hope you'll continue to contribute your knowledge and experiences :)<br /><br />Post edited by: Maff, at: 2009/08/29 13:13

Re:My thoughts and program 9 years 11 months ago #12

• ocdfreak
  • EiR Junior
hi konnor,I have been suffering with a systemic Candida infection for 10 years now. I read your post and I have a lot of symptoms from the long-term damage is done to my body. I don't know if Candida is your main problem, but by your list of symptoms, it sure looks like it. Just a suggestion, but you might wanna try treating the Candida as well as your adrenal glands. I have severe anxiety and have for 10 years from all the inflammation in my liver and body. I'm currently looking into mycortisol levelswhich I probably should have done years ago.

Related Articles:

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds