Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Testing for Adrenal Fatigue

Testing for Adrenal Fatigue 9 years 11 months ago #1

• dwise21
  • EiR Senior
Has anyone on this forum actually ordered a test from one of these labs? I am afraid to spend money if something goes wrong. Also has anyone heard of doing a mineral test to check the adrenals? if so which test would be more accurate saliva or mineral?

I know alot of questions but just want to be cautious..and when I get on to ZRT labs theres like 4 different tests to choose from. I just want to rule out or treat adrenal fatigue. So I am not sure which test to buy.

Thanks
Denise
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Testing for Adrenal Fatigue 9 years 11 months ago #2

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
Hi Denise,

I have done the adrenal stress index (ASI) test in the UK so can't recommend a lab in the US from personal experience. However, in general the test can be very helpful and is generally reasonably priced so you wouldn't be throwing your money away with this.

If you have choices the one you want to go for is one which tests both cortisol and DHEA at least 4 times throughout the day.

You would have to collect saliva samples at specific times e.g. 8am, midday, 4pm, and midnight. It's harder than you imagine to get enough saliva to fill the test tubes provided and can take some time so you need to do the test on a day you had nothing else important to be doing.

Good luck!
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re:Testing for Adrenal Fatigue 9 years 11 months ago #3

• dwise21
  • EiR Senior
Ok Thanks Matt..I will give an update after I order the test.

Thanks
Denise

Re:Testing for Adrenal Fatigue 9 years 11 months ago #4

• Maff
  • Administrator
Great, do let us know how you get on and maybe we can help you interpret the results and suggest what to do next!

Take care,

Maff

Re:Testing for Adrenal Fatigue 9 years 9 months ago #5

• david
  • EiR Junior
Hi Maff
How are you doing? Good, I hope! I'm thinking of getting a test done but have a couple of questions..

If I do it at the weekend (not working so easier to get samples) I obviously won't be feeling at my worst as I won't be as stressed as a on a usual work day. I'm wondering whether the result may therefore not reveal much of a problem when clearly (to me) there is!!??

Also, saw this in your article:According to Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum who has worked extensively with CFS and fibromyalgia patients and had papers detailing his effective treatment regimen published, up to two thirds of sufferers have adrenal fatigue. There are a number of reasons why this may be the case. It has been found that CFS and fibromyalgia patients have low corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH)1. This is a hormone produced by the hypothalamus in the brain that signals the release of another hormone, ACTH, that tells the adrenal glands to increase their hormone output. If CRH is low then adrenal hormones will also be low. Many CFS patients also show a response to ACTH that is similar to that found in secondary adrenal insufficiency disease.

Does the ASI test indicate whether the 'cause'(the real cuase being stress of course) is the adrenal glands OR the hypothalamus? I hope my question makes sense.. I may have misunderstood.

Thanks as always Maff for your support:)

Re:Testing for Adrenal Fatigue 9 years 8 months ago #6

• Maff
  • Administrator
Hi David,

Good to see you on the forums again :)

Your questions make perfect sense and you have raised some very good points!

You are absolutely correct that doing the ASI test at the weekend when you are likely to be much more relaxed will not provide a true picture of your adrenal health. Although it is obviously easier to do the test at the weekend you will get much more reliable results on a weekday while working etc. It is when you are under stress that your adrenals need to respond by producing cortisol and DHEA. If levels of these hormones are low when samples were taken during a stressful day it is a sure sign your adrenal glands cannot produce sufficient amounts of these hormones and indicates 'adrenal fatigue'.

Your second question is also well thought out. Unfortunately the ASI test can't tell you WHY your cortisol and/or DHEA are low (if that is indeed the case) but to be honest unless your hormone levels are absolutely rock bottom this doesn't really matter as treatment would be the same.

If your cortisol and DHEA ARE basically flat-lining this would be time to visit your doctor and have an ACTH stimulation test as you may have adrenal insufficiency/Addison's disease which is a very serious condition - essentially adrenal failure. If this were the case however you would be basically non-functional and wouldn't be on an internet forum ;)

I hope all this makes sense. If you have the test and would like some help interpreting the results and working out what to do next please let me know.

Related Articles:

Time to create page: 0.258 seconds