Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: how to keep weight up

how to keep weight up 8 years 3 months ago #1

i've been on a candida diet based on dr. crook's book and website for around 6 months now (along with supplements) and although i definitely feel better i have lost quite a lot of weight and its starting to worry me.

i have never been big but i have gone from 130 pounds to around 100! i think it has levelled off now (i hope!) but wondered if anybody else had lost so much weight and what candida-safe foods you eat to keep a healthy weight. i t seems to be a bit a of a balacning act between starving the candida without starving yourself!

recipe ideas would be great too. thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:how to keep weight up 8 years 3 months ago #2

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 18
Hi,

First of all welcome to the forums, it's always good to see new faces. I hope you'll find the site and forums useful!

You ask a very good question as this is something I have struggled with myself and I'm sure many others on Candida diets do too.

I get most of my calories through eating meat (mainly poultry) or fish with each meal with low-carb vegetables. I think what really keeps my weight stable though is eating plenty of nuts and seeds which have a good balance of carbs, protein, and good fats - as well as being high in calories. Some Candida diets advise against eating seeds and nuts due to potential for mold and allergic reactions in those with Candida but in my opinion avoiding excessive carbs and maintaining a healthy weight are more important in the first instance.

I am still what many would call skinny but my body mass index (BMI) is bang in the middle of normal ;)

Also, long-term it is also not healthy to avoid carbs strictly for a number of reasons so don't feel guilty for having the occasional small portion of brown rice etc.

I hope this helps. Good luck.<br /><br />Post edited by: Maff, at: 2009/08/26 00:18
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re:how to keep weight up 8 years 3 months ago #3

hi maff, thanks for the welcome and the tips.

i'm a bit confused about eating nuts and seeds as a lot of what i've read about candida says they should be avoided because they can get moldy. it would certainly help with my weight if i could eat them though. i have been avoiding them so far so i'm not sure how i'd react.

are there specific nuts and seeds that are moldy and others that are ok? it would be great to know.

thanks!<br /><br />Post edited by: Maff, at: 2009/08/20 21:42

Re:how to keep weight up 8 years 3 months ago #4

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 18
You're right, not all nuts and seeds are the same and some will obviously be preferable if you have an intestinal Candida overgrowth.

According to Dr. John Parks Trowbridge M.D. who developed a dietary program for yeast-related illness in the 1980s - blanched almonds are the best choice as they are low in carbohydrates and also are very unlikely to be contaminated with mould and thus pose litte, if any, mould allergy risk.

Other nuts he recommends as being less hazardess than some others include hazelnuts and pine nuts.

For more information you might want to get a copy of his book which is one of my favourite all round Candida/yeast illness books despite being over 20 years old now - The Yeast Syndrome

Seeds such as sunflower seeds and pumpkins seeds are good because they are very low in carbohydrates but do have the potential to have hold significant mould, so there is a bit of a trade off there.

Post edited by: Maff, at: 2009/08/14 14:30<br /><br />Post edited by: Maff, at: 2009/08/20 21:44
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re:how to keep weight up 8 years 3 months ago #5

• hannah
  • EiR Newbie
Hi guys,

I just wanted to add that peanuts really need to be avoided as they are one of the most moldy foods and contain large amounts of aflatoxin - a fungal toxin linked to cancer and other health issues. Not good!

Also peanuts are quite high in carbs (as well as saturated fat) so not good for those with candida.

Take a look at this detailed article on aflatoxins - http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/toxicagents/aflatoxin/aflatoxin.html#Occurence

Re:how to keep weight up 8 years 2 months ago #6

hey both of you, thanks for your replies they were both really helpful. ill try to get the yeast syndrome book and do my research on which nuts and seeds are less of a problem with mold. maybe i should have tests run for mold and nut allergies to check there is actually a problem in that area anyway?

just to let you know i am still feeling better on my candida protocol and have actually gained 2 pounds so :)

Related Articles:

Time to create page: 0.228 seconds