Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How to restore gut flora

How to restore gut flora 9 years 6 months ago #1

• Dechen
  • EiR Expert
  • Thank you received: 2
My CDSA from Metametrix (GI Profile) showed low levels of lactobacilli and bifidobacteria (1.7>1.8 and 2.0>2.3). I am wondering how to restore normal levels of these beneficial bacteria.

I had started using VSL#3 but then decided to make my own yoghurt out of this which I ferment for 18 hours in order that all the lactose is consumed.

I don't know whether it is helping or not.

I am also wondering about the capacity of probiotics or home made yoghurt to form viable colonies on the gut walls.

Is fecal transplant our only hope to restore gut flora?

Been reading different articles about probiotics on the Internet and it seems that some strains of lactobacilli will colonize like lactobacilli plantarum and NCFM (or something like that) while others don't. I thought 'viability\" in probiotics strain refers precisely to the bacterias ability to colonize the gut wall.

Opinions differ. I used to think probiotics will restore beneficial gut bacteria and if they didn't implant it was because of inflammation.

Does anyone have any definite answer to this? Matt?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:How to restore gut flora 9 years 6 months ago #2

• Airy
  • EiR Senior
Hi Dechen,

I had a CDSA test several years ago. That's a really great test. I had zero good bacteria in my stomach (not low, but zero) and a bacteria that shouldn't be in there.

My naturapath talked about different options (either killing off the bad bacteria or building up my gut). I was so weak at the time, we decided to build up the good bacteria.

I took a product called HMF Replete for a week. That helped a lot. I was on a healthy, organic diet for a year before this, but wasn't getting any of the benefits. Before I got the CDSA test, I thought I had food allergies because I felt sick after eating. We also tested me for leaky gut. It turned out it was all because my flora was off. I was very inflamed and bloated before treatment. My stomach would grow several inches after eating just a tiny bit of food because it got so inflamed. It turned out I didn't have any food allergies or leaky gut at all.

My naturapath suggested that I also take probiotics every night before I go to bed on an empty stomach. This gives the flora a chance to recolonize.

My impression of \"viability\" is that the good bacteria is still alive after processing. By the time a lot of probiotic products get to the consumer, the strains are dead. It's great that you're making your own yogurt.

The Body Ecology diet website has a free ebook on the site about probiotic if you sign up for the newsletter. The site seems to be down right now. The site also suggests to take probiotics before bed and as soon as you get up in the morning. The ebook goes into detail about leaky gut and other problems like that.

Here's the link for the ebook

The Benefits of the Probiotic Diet

I disagree with other advice on the site, but I thought it was spot on about probiotics.

My stomach is much better now. I seem to do fine as long as I avoid extremely hot/spicy food.

I drink a lot of kefir and sometimes coconut kefir which is really yummy. My local health food store sells it, but there are kits to make it yourself.

Good luck!

Airy

Post edited by: Airy, at: 2010/02/19 22:06<br /><br />Post edited by: Airy, at: 2010/02/19 22:09

Re:How to restore gut flora 9 years 6 months ago #3

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
Hi Dechen,

How are things in Arizona besides the probiotic problem?

You have basically come to the unfortunately correct conclusion, which is that the subject of probiotics is very complex and we are only beginning to discover which specific strains can colonise and which simply pass through our GI tracts (although they still may have benefits).

Basically you need to do as you have been doing and look for specific strains that have been demonstrated to colonise. They are usually patented and have at least a handful of scientific studies behind them.

The term \"viability\" is used simply to indicate how many live bacteria are contained in a serving of a probiotic product. It is nothing to do with the bacteria's ability to colonise.
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re:How to restore gut flora 9 years 6 months ago #4

• Dechen
  • EiR Expert
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Maff and Airy,

It is pretty depressing to think that gut flora cannot be restored and I can refuse the idea... What do you do when you have ZERO beneficial bacteria???

I'll stick with the VSL#3 which seems to be doing ok. Does it implant or not? I don't know. Has it stopped my leaky gut? No it hasn't.

Has it crowded out candida or cryptosporidium? Well something's happening in there, am not sure what though.

I keep believing that at some precise moment the bloody thing will do something. I keep eating yoghurt that I make myself with the VSL and I also add to it saccharomyces and a whole packet of the VSL a day.

The VSL product promises that it may take one month to restore gut flora. I just want to believe that.

Well yesterday, I was free of all symptoms. Some kind of battle is going on; will the results be stable, I don't know.<br /><br />Post edited by: Dechen, at: 2010/02/26 05:31

Re:How to restore gut flora 9 years 6 months ago #5

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
Hi Dechen,

It's highly unlikely that you have zero beneficial bacteria, no matter what various tests may say. The fact is these tests aren't close to 100% reliable...besides researchers don't yet have the full picture on which bacteria are beneficial and which are not at this point.

VSL#3 is one of the best probiotic products around based on the limited amount of studies that have been conducted. It also has the benefit of being the most potent. With 450 billion CFU per sachet it has a good chance of altering your gut flora composition for the better. That doesn't mean you will see results overnight however. It may take many months or even years and you may also need to successfully address undesirable microbes with appropriate medications or herbs/supplements.

It's good to hear you had a day free from symptoms.....perhaps this is the start and you will have more days like that :)
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re:How to restore gut flora 9 years 4 months ago #6

• Sammy
  • EiR Junior
  • Thank you received: 1
Thats right Maff, VSL#3 is highly recomended here in australia by one in particular high profile gastroenterologist also a few Enviro' doctors here.

I have come to the conclusion that a \"Weed Seed and Feed\" approach needs to be followed in regards to bowel ecology. As just doing One or the Other, won't realy work - I only say this due to personal experiance

Sammy

Related Articles:

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds