Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: tests and progress update

Re:DNA adducts, phospholipid exchange and other stuff 8 years 9 months ago #7

just in case it's of interest to anybody, I am attaching my test results. These are tests ordered by Dr Shideh Pouria at the Burghwood Clinic, done by Acumen in Devon. They're heavy going, but quite intersting in places (believe me).
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:DNA adducts, phospholipid exchange and other stuff 8 years 9 months ago #8

sorry - site wouldn't allow me to upload, so I have resized and am attaching here. Fingers crossed....

Attachment aug2010_test_results.pdf not found

Re:DNA adducts, phospholipid exchange and other stuff 8 years 9 months ago #9

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
Thanks for uploading your Acumen test results John, vey interestng stuff! I find it very encouraging that having had so many different tests a clear pattern emerges with findings aluminium toxicity and low zinc status appearing frequently. The DNA adduct, metallothionein and mitochondrial testing seems like an excellent way to detect toxic metals and other xenobiotics at the cellular level here they actually cause problems. I was intending to have urine testing for metals but this sounds like a much better way to go. Did that little lot bankrupt you? Has Dr. Pouria recommended other treatments alongside the detoxx protocol based on your test results?

Backto the fats, yes it is very hard to balance your whole diet but for the detoxx protocol to be truly ffective I think you have to get pretty close. That's why the book I suggested and others like it will come in handy. I will be doing all this from the middle of October so perhaps we can help each other out.

IV protocols are usually more effective, or at least quicker to yield results, since you are getting much higher doses and blood levels of the therapeutic agent. The reason I am giving IV phospholipid exchange a go is because I can't tolerate phosphatidylcholine (PC) supplements orally at all. I'm not sure of the mechanism but it causes a lot of gastrointestinal pain and other symptoms which I can only assume are due to irritation of the gut lining. The same happens with methyl donors such as SAMe, TMG and active forms of folic acid so I guess methylation is involved! Could you get the treatment by IV since you also seem to be unable to tolerate oral supplements?

I wouldn't look at any other supplements just yet as the detoxx protocol is all about deoxifying at the cellular level and that includes getting rid of toxic metals. You could always ask Dr. Pouria about incorporating moe supplements to support glutathione conjugation though.

Both exercise and using a sauna would be expected to mobilise toxins and this would make you feel sick a) if you have lots of stored toxins and/or b) if you are not able to detoxify them efficiently.

I think I'll look into Acumen a bit more now ;)
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re:DNA adducts, phospholipid exchange and other stuff 8 years 9 months ago #10

Hello Maff

Thanks for looking through those tests, and your comments are always much appreciated. All I am on is the one tsp of PC, and the diet. There are other components of the diet - electrolytes and minerals especially, which I am not on yet. I am seeing Dr Pouria again next week and hope to get some answers on all of this then.

The cost of the tests:
L-Carnitine £40
Superoxide dismutase £20
DNA Adducts £95
Full GST profile £50
Translocator Protein Studies £90
Metallothionein £50

Grand total of £345, but certainly much more valuable and revealing than any other testing I've had done. It strikes me that if they find a heavy metal in the cells this is going to be more authoritative than finding it in the hair or wherever else (when I've had this done nothing shows up).

Would you have any idea what exactly is going wrong if one feels worse on trying supplements? Are they somehow aggravating a sensitive system, or is it allergy, or is it the liver phases being out of balance?

I've had stools test result back today and am uploading it with this post. It's healthier than ones I've had before, but blastocystis is there as always. On previous tests I've had no growth of bifido bacteria, but now have a fair bit, but with no lactobacillus, which is interesting. SIgA is always low for me, and the no growth of candida is contradicted by blood tests which show raised antibodies. My gut issues are fairly minor, but definitely a part of what's going on.

Attachment _20100909_14501807.pdf not found

Re:DNA adducts, phospholipid exchange and other stuff 8 years 9 months ago #11

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
Many thanks for posting the prices of the Acumen tests you had done. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised as I was expecting everything from DNA Adducts down o be more like £100. I will definitely blow some of my savings getting those done as I believe they could be very useful. I agree that they would appear much more likely to give useful information on the actual damage that metals and other pollutants are causing than collecting urine or hair samples!

Very hard to say on the supplements as they could cause a bad reaction in various ways e.g. directly irritating inflammaed tissues, triggeing a detox eaction with worsening of symptoms, triggering allergies/sensitivities etc. I have personally found that addressing liver and adrenal function is helpful as this seems to strengthen the body and reduces hypersensitivity reactions.

For some reason I can't open the file for your stool test results - I just get redirected to the homepage. No idea why! What I can say is that stool tests are notoriousl;y unreliable for detecting infections affecting the small intestine (the stool hasn't formed at that stage) and I have had negative Candida/yeast results in the past that have been contradicted by symptoms and other tests such as gut fermentation frofile (Biolab) which I feel is more reliable. Stool tests give a good idea of SIgA though and a low result is sure to increase the likelihood of gut flora disturbances.

It sounds like you are oly just getting started on the treatment protocol so perhaps you will be able to tolerate the PC better once other things are added. Good luck at your appointment with Dr. Pouria next week!
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re:DNA adducts, phospholipid exchange and other stuff 8 years 9 months ago #12

I had another appointment with my doctor, Shideh Pouria, last week, so thought I'd fill you in. I'd been taking the PC and following the diet for around 5 weeks, and had had a brief spell of five days feeling some improvement. She added in a few (actually loads) of extra supplements:

zinc
vit c
vit d
cal/mag butyrate
magnesium
apolalactoferrin
arabinogalactus
and the suggestion of taking baths in Epsom salts.
I'm also now using BodyBio 4:1 oil in my food.

Some of the above are aimed at the gut. The apolalactoferin and arabinogalactus sound very exotic.

When I asked about balancing all the fats for the right omega 6 to 3 ratio, she said that I didn't need to, as long as I was eating fish.

I was concerned that everywhere else you read about the PK Protocol it advises glutathione, but I'm not taking any, and my test results say that my glutathione is faulty in some way. She said that the PC would take care of the glutathione problem - it seems the PC is supposed to do everything.

Since the appointment I've had the most almighty crash - and am feeling pretty hideous, so have been unable to take any new supplements, and won't until things calm down a bit. I'm concerned about the detox pathways in my body - and being a pathological detoxifier - because whenever I try to detox I seem to get worse.

John

Related Articles:

Time to create page: 0.241 seconds