Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Supplements that feed Candida

Supplements that feed Candida 3 years 10 months ago #1

• hixxy
  • EiR Newbie
Seems the doctor's I see are often not aware of supplements that feed Candida. I've been prescribed supplements on multiple occasions that have left my candida far worse in a matter of days.

In my experience the following feeds / stimulates candida growth:

* L-cysteine / n-acetyl-cysteine
* Lipoic acid (and variants)
* CoQ10
* Oral glutathione

Can anyone else think of any more big ones that I'm missing?

I've been trying to find ways to boost my mitochondrial function with my doctor, but every attempt has been met with resistance from candida!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

data-ad-format="horizontal"

Re: Supplements that feed Candida 3 years 10 months ago #2

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 7
Hi hixxy,

The common link between these supplements is sulfur/sulphur. All of them are sulphur-containing molecules or are involved in sulphur metabolism...and surprise, surprise, sulphur feeds Candida/yeast. In fact, as I understand it, cysteine is frequently used as a culture medium for yeast in lab experiments!

There are ways around this. If your doctor practices nutritional medicine they should be familiar with giving IV nutrients. You can have IVs of glutathione so you're bypassing the gut.

There are also a number of nutrients and herbs that help to support glutathione production, if this is something you are aiming for. These include Vitamins C and E, phytochemicals such as anthocyanidins, and milk thistle/silymarin.

The mitochondria are primarily protected from oxidative damage by the antioxidant enzyme superoxide dismutase type 2 (SOD2). This enzyme is dependent on mangenese so that's another nutrient to look at.

It is also important to know that the health of every cell and the organelles they contain (e.g. mitochondria) depends to a great extent on the fat composition of their membranes. The correct balance of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids is considered important, as is the phospholipid content. Phosphatidylcholine is often given orally and by IV to help heal membranes and restore mitochondrial function. This is a treatment I am currently exploring with my own doctor in fact.

Hope this helps!
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re: Supplements that feed Candida 3 years 4 months ago #3

• Airy
  • EiR Senior
I take it that MSM would be part of the list too because of the sulfur???

How would someone take NAC or any of these supplements and still get the benefits without the candida overgrowth? Would you need to take them along with an anti-candida supplement to get the benefits?

Re: Supplements that feed Candida 3 years 4 months ago #4

• Burkey
  • EiR Newbie
Hi Maff, Please be sure that your Phosphatidylcholine supplement is soy free to protect Thyroid function. best regards, Alan

Re: Supplements that feed Candida 3 years 4 months ago #5

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 7
Yes MSM would be part of tht list too Airy. Personally I would avoid MS and the others I listed if you have a gut Candida/yeast issue.

Of course if you need to get sulphur into the body without going through the gut then epsom salts baths/footbaths are a great way...and are also very relaxing!
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re: Supplements that feed Candida 3 years 4 months ago #6

• Viewpoint
  • EiR Newbie
This I find extremely interesting as I'm just now beginning to understand the dire effects candida/yeast has on ones immune system. I know candida stops the absorption of a lot of nutrients etc., and literally had no idea that the supplements listed feed candida.

Are there any links to show this or perhaps this could be explained as to why. I know lots taking supplements listed so this really is of importance to me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Time to create page: 0.424 seconds