Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: IBS type symptoms

Re: IBS type symptoms 8 years 1 month ago #19

• heavy__1
  • EiR Newbie
i had a colonscopy last week, the laxative drinks they give you clean your colon out but at the end of it i was still bloated. (i have also had colonics and still bloated after the colon was emptied)

I was awake for the whole colonscopy procedure and could see the colon was pretty much empty with some watery residue. However i was still bloated so am guessing i most likely have SIBO. Causing fermentation in the small intestine question is how do i eradicate this problem now?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: IBS type symptoms 8 years 1 month ago #20

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
Well bloating is caused by gases as you no doubt are aware so you wouldn't see that during a colonoscopy I wouldn't have thought? You might see the distension of the colon walls as a results of it.

However, since your colon was thoroughly emptied prior to the procedure then I would be thinking along the same lines as you i.e. SIBO. I still think you should now have tests to confirm this such as the hydrogen/methane breath test but if such testing is positive the general treatment for SIBO is with specific antibiotics which target the bacteria causing SIBO e.g. rifiaximin, vancomycin etc. Obviously there are also natural alternatives but these tend to be more broad spectrum and may disturb other gut microflora. I would take a strong probiotic such as VSL#3 along with or immediately after the course of antibiotics.
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re: IBS type symptoms 8 years 1 month ago #21

• heavy__1
  • EiR Newbie
I have been to see my practioner today:

i went through my case history and symptoms with her, one thing i mentioned was my constant back pain when discussing my case history. Since she is also an osteopath she said she would have a look for me.

after my case history was discussed she had a look at my pelvis, it was twisted and she straightened it for me through manipulation she also felt my colon and it was sore. She advised that since my pelvis was twisted so was my colon, And advised i wear a heal lift after she straightend my pelvis since one of my legs is shorter.

Since i suffered from constipation in past she suggested my colon has become weak and out of shape and required rehabilitation through series of colonics.

She advised to eat healthy with less starchy food and suggested to take probiotics with acidophilus
omega 3 oil
b12 vitamins
digestive enzymes
lactulose solution to soften stool
and to use suppostries when needed

My results from GDx were not discussed. When i asked about them she said this diet and protocol would take care of the results. I am guessing she has reviewed what she needs to from them but i would have liked her to tell me a little more... oh well.

I havent really followed any regime longer then 2 weeks before and never tried colonics once every week either but i am little unsure this will treat the problem i have.

She also mentioned i maybe lactose intolerant as i have no lacto bacteria.
I mentioned i think i may have bacterial overgrowth to her before and during this appointment she said that she is absolutely sure i have bacterial overgrowth so there is no point in taking the test as she is sure it will be positive. I should have mentioned the antibiotics at this point but i didnt.

I am a little disheartened after this appointment as i don't feel like i gained anything different from what has been told to me before.

Re: IBS type symptoms 8 years 1 month ago #22

• Maff
  • Administrator
Hi there,

Good to hear from you and sorry that you feel your appointment with your practitioner didn't work out. I have to agree with you though unfortunately...I would be very dubious about the outlined treatment. I would even question whether this practitioner knows what they are talking about.

Lactose intolerance has nothing to to do with Lactobacillus bacteria such as L.acidophilus. The enzyme to break down lactose (lactase) is made by the cells lining the small intestine. Lactose intolerance occurs when these cells for whatever reason no longer make enough lactase, or none at all.

Given agreement over bacterial overgrowth there is also nothing there that will address this (probiotics aside)...so that's very strange.

If it were me I think I would be looking elsewhere for someone who will really address your test results and explain them to you and then provide a treatment protocol based on that rather than this one which imho is just a bunch of generic suggestions that may well be given to every client/patient.

Where do you live again? Maybe we can find a good practitioner nearby.

Re: IBS type symptoms 8 years 1 month ago #23

• heavy__1
  • EiR Newbie
Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post Maff, it really means alot to have someone out there who understands this issue.

Am located in Leicester can you advise who i should see? am willing to travel so that is not a problem am currently in the process of contacting these guys www.ibsforum.co.uk and am waiting on an email.

Thanks maff

Re: IBS type symptoms 8 years 1 month ago #24

• Maff
  • Administrator
Hey,

I am just like you really, trying to find my way through illnesses that are either ignored by conventional doctors or require a lot of self-diagnosis and treatment, so I know how you feel and always try to help out where I can. I wouldn't wish this on anyone!

Unfortunately I can't give a personal recommendation of anyone in the Leicester area but I can give you links to two websites that will help you find someone suitable to help you.

The first is http://www.nutripeople.com/ and this allows you to search for a qualified Nutritional Therapist. I did a degree in Nutritional Therapy myself and I can assure you that the standards are high and such a therapist will fully analyse your previous test results and decide on the best course of action based on those and obviously your medical history and symptoms etc. Nutritional Therapists will also work with your GP where needed.

The second website is http://www.ecomed.org.uk/ which is for the British Society of Ecological Medicine. This is a group of doctors that understand environmental illnesses and use diet, nutritional supplements, allergy neutralisation methods and other approaches not considered mainstream to treat the patient and not the disease.

Sorry I can't just give you a name but hope these links help!

Take care.

Related Articles:

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds