Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Need Phone and Internet-no landline/DSL

Need Phone and Internet-no landline/DSL 3 years 4 months ago #1

• J Dark
  • EiR Newbie
I have noticed that the safe affordable rural spots have NO landline or DSL service. Centurylink that services most of those areas will promise you service, but those promises are lies and there is NO service. I found out the hard way I now have to wait till I pay off the dept incurred, renting these places 3 times after lots of homework-in 2 different states and lots of confirmations and getting No service. Then the issue is I require landline and wired DSL to survive. I am disabled. I can not tolerate using a cell and wifi. I will not consider trying another place where, I would depend on the word of that company , as that is false. No Service.

I am checking non-phone compalny options: first I found this for phone:
EI Wellspring

Wondering if there could be a more portable version of this home phone connect set up and how to do. There are many rural places that are far enough from towers, but close enough for this to work great.

Also not enough instruction on how to set this up like they do, so need to know more on how to do.

Then #2: Would there be some way to make some sort of Myfi work? Any ideas I know that some of them can have the wifi turned off and instead be teathered by usb to a computer. Would this work if the device was say in a weatherproof cooler or would it be a real problem, as the cellphone booster was in the above link? Or would it be more like the homephone connect in the second part of the above link?

AGain how to set up is an issue too. I would want to know before I invest in the equipment and expense of set up and cable and set up fees w/ say verizon and 152 something for the 1st month of data that matches the unlimited that I have currently with centurylink where I am.

The eiwellspring page on t he phone is rather limited in explaining on how to do it or get it done vs some of their other instruction and not a lot of other info available and verizin has no knowlege on how to set something of the like up.

Whatever set up I choose, there is NO 120 to plug into and so it has to be 12v compatible, just like my solar is.

I have ruled out satellite for many reasons, cost included. Just is an un-daoable joke!

Any thoughts of these types of options for rural and or mobile off grid living? Help!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Need Phone and Internet-no landline/DSL 3 years 4 months ago #2

• Jodie
  • Thank you received: 67
God how frustrating for you - sounds like u need an engineer who really understands the issues to sort you out.   I know nothing about this subject but there are folks on planetthrive.ning.com/ who live in tents / trailers / in isolated areas who might be able to help.  

Need Phone and Internet-no landline/DSL 3 years 4 months ago #3

• J Dark
  • EiR Newbie
I am not a fan of anything that is connected to facebook, but I signed up over there. Seems like a big site. Is there any special place on PT I should look for info or post this.?

I learned most of what I know from eiwellspring. and then for tech I started out w/ Technomedia-they own and use every radiating gadget on the planet. I am sort a a geek myself, but need to use that geekism to avoid being blasted.

Learning a lot just reading the tech stuff, but nothing about modifying it for ES. I have got a company that will give me the a used "home phone connect" device when I am ready to take on month to month service, but have a long way to go to put it all together. I have had a lot of help from tech people in the past, but they sure do NOT get ES issues.

Need Phone and Internet-no landline/DSL 3 years 4 months ago #4

• Jodie
  • Thank you received: 67
Hi J Dark - agree re Facebook but it sucks in everyone like a vortex! seems to be unavoidable. This has mostly turned into an info site, and you're right there is a lot here- it's solid, usually well researched info and invaluable, so worth taking time to look around. Sounds like you have the makings of a business there - so many people need help with this, if a few engineers could get together ...

The other sites I know about I mentioned above, I'm sure there are plenty more. Here's one I found quite early on which seems busy es-forum.com

Best, Jodie

Related Articles:

Time to create page: 0.254 seconds