Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Natural/OTC alternative to cholestyramine?

Natural/OTC alternative to cholestyramine? 3 years 1 month ago #1

• fester
  • EiR Newbie
I was hoping to try something similar to Dr Shoemaker's cholestyramine protocol. Since I don't have access to cholestyramine, I'm trying to find a natural alternative.

The alternatives that have come up are chitosan, guggul, propolis or perhaps chlorella. I'm not good at researching or interpreting studies, but all seem to have shown some effect on bile excretion and cholesterol. Chitosan and chlorella appear more popular amongst lyme patients and physicians, but Dr Shoemaker apparently was unsuccessful with chitosan (Don't know about chlorella).

Dr Klinghardt claims chlorella's "Sporopollein is as effective as cholestyramin in binding neurotoxins and more effective in binding toxic metals then any other natural substance found." He has other articles and references on his Klinghardt Academy website.

Nanonised chitosan is purportedly even more effective than the regular kind. One study I saw showed it was more effective at lowering cholesterol in rats (Here). Perhaps nanonised it is more effecious all around.

I wish I had the brainpower to dissect the studies and information further myself, but I'm being pretentious enough as it is. :silly:

I am going to start chlorella anyway, but do you think combining it with chitosan or nanonised chitosan could be comparable to cholestyramine?
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by fester.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

data-ad-format="horizontal"

Re: Natural/OTC alternative to cholestyramine? 3 years 1 month ago #2

• Maff
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 7
Hi Fester,

I don't have enough time right now to give your question the attention it requires but I would point you in the direction of Patricia Kane PhD and colleagues who developed the Detoxx program - heavily based on Dr. Shoemaker's work. In The Detoxx Book for physicians they discuss cholestyramine at length but state that they prefer to use butyrate, a natural fatty acid available as a supplement OTC.

If you search this site for 'detoxx butyrate' you should find more on this.

Just something else for you to think about. I believe you are on the right track with the other natural alternatives to cholestyramine you have been researching however.

I will try to review some material and get back to you with more information.
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re: Natural/OTC alternative to cholestyramine? 3 years 1 month ago #3

• fester
  • EiR Newbie
Cool, thanks Maff. I had come across butyrate as a part of an oral liposomal phospholipid exchange protocol, but wasn't quite sure of its purpose. I wanted to try some phospholipid therapy so that would fit nicely!

One more alternative, recommended by another Lyme doc, was a phytosterol product called Cholestepure. This was the most openly physician endorsed treatment other than the chlorella.

I don't think I'll be starting anything immediately except probably the chlorella; there's still an awful lot of information to digest.
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by fester.

Re: Natural/OTC alternative to cholestyramine? 3 years 1 month ago #4

• Maff
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
No problem fester. Another member has undergone IV butyrate treatment as part of IV phospholipid exchange and reported good results for his CFS. I will find the forum thread and post a link when I get chance. I am only doing minimal work on the site at the moment but will be back to full speed next week.

Patricia Kane et al do suggest oral phosphatidylcholine (PC) and butyrate can be used for PLX treatment and I have had other doctors tell me the same. The IV delivery is therefore not essential.

Thanks for the tip on Cholestepure. That is a new one on me so I will do some research on that.

Please let us know what you decide to use and how things go. Good luck!

P.S. I think it would be a good idea to setup a group on the subject of detoxing from chronic neurotoxins so I'll invite you if/when I do that.

data-ad-format="horizontal"

Re: Natural/OTC alternative to cholestyramine? 3 years 1 month ago #5

• Maff
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
fester,

I found the forum thread I was thinking of but it's not quite as helpful in terms as your original question as I thought it would be. It talks about using Phenyl butyrate via IV as part of PLX therapy in order to break down very long-chain fatty acids (VLCFAs) and I presume, "renegade" fatty acids as well.

However, as I mentioned previously Particia Kane and colleagues do state that they use it as a like for like alternative for cholestyramine in their Detoxx Book.

I am sure you will find the forum thread an enlightening read anyway so here it is - http://www.ei-resource.org/forum/candida-gut-dysbiosis-leaky-gut-syndrome-ibs-/1743-tests-and-progress-update?limit=6&start=30
Time to create page: 0.337 seconds