Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Abnormal brain response to cholinergic challenge in chronic encephalopathy from the 1991 Gulf War

Abnormal brain response to cholinergic challenge in chronic encephalopathy from the 1991 Gulf War 9 years 2 months ago #1

• kaz1311
  • EiR Newbie
This thread discusses the Content article: Abnormal brain response to cholinergic challenge in chronic encephalopathy from the 1991 Gulf War

written by kaz1311, April 05, 2010

HI, MY HUSBAND WAS IN THE FIRST GULF WAR,HE IS NOW IN HOSPITAL AGAIN,THIS TIME ILLER THAN EVER. HE HAS SOME LESIONS ON/IN HIS BRAIN THAT THE CONSULTANTS CANT EXPLAIN.IT IS ALL VERY BIZARRE REALLY BUT UNTIL THEY CAN DIAGNOSE HIM,THEY CANT BEGIN TO TREAT HIM,AND HE IS DETERIORATING EACH WEEK. HE AS HAD TWO BIOPSYS WHICH HAVE TAKEN ABNORMAL CELLS AWAY BOTH TIME,FROM DIFFERENT AREAS OF HIS BRAIN (THIS THING IS SPREADING) BUT THEY CANT RECOGNISE WHAT IT IS,ALTHOUGH THEY DO SAY ITS NOT CANCER.. I WAS WONDERING IF YOUR STUDY HAS FOUND ANYONE ELSE WITH COMPLEX BRAIN LESIONS.IF SO I WOULD BE GRATEFUL OF ANY INFORMATION YOU COULD HELP ME WITH,TO GIVE TO THE DRS LOOKING AFTER MY HUSBAND.THEY TELL ME THAT IT IS PUZZLING SO MANY IN THE HOSPITAL,SO I AM JUST LOOKING FOR CLUES IF THERE ARE ANY OUT THERE! THE HOSPITAL CONSULTANTS ARE GOING TO CONTACT M.O.D TO ASK ABOUT THE INJECTIONS THEY HAD IN THE 1ST GULF WAR,BUT AS ALOT OF PEOPLE REALISE NOW-THEY ARE NOT AS FORTHCOMING WITH INFO AS THEY SHOULD BE...SADLY. PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN GIVE ME ANY HELP WITH ANYTHING YOU CAN,STEVE GAVE 15 YEARS TO THE ARMY AND WE HAVE A GRANDCHILD ON THE WAY SOON,I WANT HIM TO BE AROUND TO SEE HIM! I APPRECIATE ANYTHING YOU CAN GIVE ME THAT MAY BE OF SOME INTEREST TO THE DRS. THANK YOU KAREN LOWE - karen lowe

Show all items
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Abnormal brain response to cholinergic challenge in chronic encephalopathy from the 1991 Gulf War 8 years 5 months ago #2

• kaz1311
  • EiR Newbie
Sadly I have to report that my husband Steve passed away on the 5th Dec 2010. Still with no diagnosis!
There is going to be an inquest,and they requested Steves brain for that, so hopefully they will get to the bottom of what these abnormalities were.
He was such a brave guy and went through test after test but no Drs could tell us what these things were. It certainly appeared to be a medical mystery! But as a family we need to know what was wrong with him,and if it was something to do with vaccinations,maybe the findings can help others in the future.
I believe in my heart that it was something to do with the injections,but I could be wrong,by donating Steves brain they have the best chance to give us the answers we need.
The inquest wont be til later in the year,but I will post the findings of that,in the hope that no one else needs to go through what Steve and we as a family have had to go through.
I have lost the love of my life,the kids their dad and grandchildren their grandad,we need answers to why. RIP Steve..sleep tight x
Karen

Re: Abnormal brain response to cholinergic challenge in chronic encephalopathy from the 1991 Gulf War 8 years 5 months ago #3

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
Hello Karen,

My deepest sympathies for your loss and thank you for taking the time to post your husband's story here. I am sure all veterans or their family members/friends reading this will appreciate you sharing any information and your courage in doing so.

Did you ever contact the authors of the study directly? Scientists often welcome any interest in their work and will take the time to reply. The lead author's email address is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - perhaps he can provide further information that will be helpful for the inquest into Steve's death.

My thoughts are with you.

Maff
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re: Abnormal brain response to cholinergic challenge in chronic encephalopathy from the 1991 Gulf War 8 years 5 months ago #4

• kaz1311
  • EiR Newbie
Hi Maff,
I have tried e mail the guy from that study but it keeps getting returned as unsent. I will keep trying but if you have any ideas please help....I am pretty hopeless with computers!
Thanks for your help in all this
Karen

Re: Abnormal brain response to cholinergic challenge in chronic encephalopathy from the 1991 Gulf War 8 years 5 months ago #5

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
Karen,

I sounds like the email on the research paper must no longer be in use. I would try searching for the lead author's name on Google or other search engines. If you come across scientific papers on similar subjects then it is likely to be the same person. Hopefully newer papers he might have published will have an up to date email address included.

You could also search for the other author's listed on the paper to see if you can find their contact details.

I will try my very best to do this myself for you and will post anything I find here. I have a doctor's appointment shortly that will last a while so I am afraid it might not be today.

Good luck and take care,

Maff
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re: Abnormal brain response to cholinergic challenge in chronic encephalopathy from the 1991 Gulf War 8 years 5 months ago #6

This story is tragic. My deepest sympathies to you and you family. Have you heard anything yet? It is probably completely unrelated, but I know the hallucinogenic street drug/anaesthetic ketamine can cause brain lesions.

Best wishes

Related Articles:

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds