Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Problems with reacting to MCS Air Purifiers

Problems with reacting to MCS Air Purifiers 5 years 3 months ago #1

• jube
  • EiR Newbie
Before I begin I want to first let everyone know that I am so excited to finally be able to talk with others who truly understand the issues of this condition (and other related ones) and the impact they have on our lives. I want to thank everyone in advance for listening, supporting and offering advice when able to others dealing with these conditions!

I really need air purifiers that I do not react to in my home. I spent ALOT of money on my 3 Austin Healthmate Plus air purifiers. I have had them for 3 years now and react to them so much that it actually adds to my problems. I know I react to the Potassium Iodide in these models, but I also react to some carbons and was not able to fully tolerate their other filter sthey offer either as I react to the type of carbon they use (was confirmed in Dallas at the Environmental Health Center). The other ones are less of a reaction, but still pretty intense. I recently found out about AllerAir purifiers that you purchase a carbon test kit prior to purchasing the models. Has anyone here tried these and if so, were you able to tolerate them well? I need something so badly, but the costs is quite prohibitive as well. I cannot believe I basically wasted so much money on the other ones! These are even more costly and also need more money outgo for more frequent and constant filter changes I am on disability now and every dime really counts so I would like to know if anyone has any experience with these before even thinkng about trying to get one.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Best wishes to all at this site!!

Judi
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Problems with reacting to MCS Air Purifiers 5 years 3 months ago #2

• Jodie
  • Thank you received: 65
You're not the only one!

health.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/GreenC...charset=windows-1252

ask the guys on there too. ;)

Re: Problems with reacting to MCS Air Purifiers 5 years 3 months ago #3

• jube
  • EiR Newbie
Thanks so much -- ya know they tried to tell me that I was the ONLY one who they have ever heard that couldn't tolerate even the basic filters -- I KNEW that couldn't be true just knowing the nature of this beast.

I will check on that site and see if they have any suggestions at all.

I really appreciate this info!

Judi

Re: Problems with reacting to MCS Air Purifiers 5 years 3 months ago #4

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 18
Hi Judi,

Have you found that using air purifiers is essential to keeping your symptoms under control? I only ask because back when I suffered from severe MCS I found, like yourself, that I reacted to them. Also, to be totally honest, even the ones I didn't react to did not provide any noticeable benefit to me i.e. they did not reduce the number of reactions I had or the symptom severity.

I got much greater relief from diligently removing sources (and possible sources) of chemical exposure from my home and relying on a carbon filter mask to protect me from unavoidable exposures e.g. visiting family/friends and the chemicals that come with them!

I realise it's unlikely a carbon filter mask is likely to be problematic to you but the direct alternative would be a respirator such as the 3M 6000 series that many people suffering severe MCS find to be a life saver. With regards to reducing sources of chemicals in your home it might be helpful to buy a DIY chemical testing kit online. See this forum thread for more info:

http://www.ei-resource.org/forum/general-ei-discussion/2860-reliable-chemical-testing/

Hope you find a solution that works for you soon. Take care.
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re: Problems with reacting to MCS Air Purifiers 5 years 3 months ago #5

• jube
  • EiR Newbie
Hi Maff,

I can relate to what you are asking; however, yes, I have found that it can help especially to clear out stuff that "accidentally" gets in due to open windows, family members that just don't get it, windows being open, mail that gets brought in scented, MY STEPDAUGHTER (who is a teenager who mainly lives with her mom and Refuses to not use heavily scented products and laundry detergents and shampoos), etc. Also when we have had to buy something new - OH MY GOD! I have to mainly use it to run in the problematic area when I am not in it to clear it. I did find one very small desktop model quite by accident as it was the first one I bought desperately trying to find something to allow me to continue to be at my job. It was way too small to do anything really except when I put my face directly on it if someone was had walked by with cologne -- not alot of help, but at least better air. For some reason that tiny one I can tolerate much better than any of the Austin ones I spent so much money on. Only a very small inkling of dislike when I turn it on but pretty much tolerable. It is just not big enough to do any really benefit for me with the extent of my reactions.

The masks alone do not work when there is something I really react to around (and I do have a slight reaction to them though not too bad, it always starts with lips and cheeks tingling and I know what it is). I use a pre-filter now in them and have used several carbons in a mask and have even added another mask with extra carbon or 2 on top and if the product is real bad for me, I still react to what is in the air if bad (better than at first because less things do it, but still have to hold my nose). This also gets hard to breathe through when air blocked by too many carbons.

I am very thankful for the improvements that have occurred for sure, but from experience I now realize that the more toxins we are exposed to, the worse we get again.

When this got to its peak after me working in a sick building for 25 years (and other bad exposures in early life) and then the icing on the cake was Toxic Mold in my house that took months to find due to it being in an inside wall and a tiny drip of water at a time we couldn't see at first. I couldn't stand to be in the house and my husband thought I was nuts. I always had some reactions which I thought were more allergies, but never knew it could get like this. I have had severe Fibromyalgia for about 30 years though. Now that I know more, I realize I had symptoms my entire life.

Anyway, we had to remove every chemical in the house back then. I couldn't even handle baking soda at the time. I am sure you understand, I just couldn't handle anything.

I will check into the respirator too, but I have never found one I could stand on my face for any time due to pain issues. I have trouble wearing glasses due to pain on my face and ears. I am light sensitive often and have to wear sunglasses alot too so all my glasses all have to be as light as possible and I have to take breaks from having them on. Even the masks hurt my ears (wearing ear plugs is painful also). It is strange I know, but my reality.

I will also look into the DIY chemical testing kit. That is interesting. I didn't know that was available.

Thanks so much for all your insight and info!

Best Wishes!
Judi

Problems with reacting to MCS Air Purifiers 1 month 1 week ago #6

• skywayd
  • EiR Newbie
  • Thank you received: 2
I have found that with even the very basic small hepa filters I need to run them for weeks to even months in a room I dont use with window open before I can use it in my living rooms. I changed the pollen filter for the venting system in my car and I had reactions to that even for a month or two. Next time I will change it in the summer so I can open car windows without freezing. I had stumbled on this page because I have been exposed to mold in our house from a neighbours shower leak that had been ongoing for some time. It has now become a major trigger for me and I had been advised to use my purifier. I got a dehumidifier from a friend and run that at night with all windows shut....I usually have windows open during day helps with my condition normally. I have just bought an iqair healthpro used and bought new premax filter and hyperhepa filter for it. I did read some people have reacted to the carbon filter (v5) so left that out.....well....I cant even be in the room with the filters for long let alone run them in the machine. It could be a waste of money for me as further reseaching shows others saying its the glues etc used n making them. I dont know if these will ever air out ! It might be the case of by the time they air out running it in a room you dont use, that the filters will need replacing....oh well we live an learn, or should I say some of us live and suffer more then learn.
I do find respirators do their job very well, but do bare in mind when you buy them you do need to air these out for a while as well before you use, unless there is a major toxic issue then the respirator would be the better of the 2 evils. i.e. with the mold issue I am having I wear a new respirator when going downstairs. (Am moving soon, cant wait)

• Page:

Related Articles:

Time to create page: 0.343 seconds