Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Thiamine and the Blood Brain Barrier

Re:Thiamine and the Blood Brain Barrier 10 years 6 months ago #7

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
Hi everyone!

First to Bill who we have to thank for starting this interesting and useful thread :) - There are a group of doctors who HAVE written up what seems to be working for you. The Detoxx System developed by John Foster, M.D., Patricia Kane, Ph.D., and Neal Speight, M.D. has at its heart the restoration of the mitochondrial and cell membranes. The mainstay of their treatment protocol is PPC (both IV and oral) and the use of essential fatty acids as needed by the individual patient. EFAs obviously also being important for cell membrane health and integrity. Their theory being that healthy cells mean a healthy body since they are able to generate energy, flush out toxins and carry out every other function efficiently.

Check out an article written by them: The Detoxx System: Detoxification of Biotoxins in Chronic Neurotoxic Syndromes

Their book - The Detoxx Book - is also a good read. Get the Physician's version.

Mariam - thanks for your post. You are right that it would be good to explain some of the supplements Bill and myself have been talking about. The thread won't help people if they don't have a clue what we're talking about!

I'll try to explain as simply as possible. First of all let's take TMG and SAM-e (same thing may be written as SAM, SAMe). What the letters stand for is unimportant as they will be labelled as such on all supplements. These substances are methyl donors and have many activities in the body but perhaps the most important being increasing glutathione (the body's major antioxidant/detoxifier) and improving mental function and mood by helping to produce neurotransmitters like serotonin. Both very important effects for those with EI. NAC also increases glutathione and is an antioxidant/detoxifier itself. It is used to chelate (bind) heavy metals such as mercury to remove them from the body.

PPC is a fatty substance which is a major component of the cell membrane (protective outer barrier) of every cell in the body. It is particularly helpful for improving liver function and therefore detoxification and overall health and again brain function. The brain being made up predominantly of fats. The type of fats strongly influence its function.

The blood brain barrier (BBB ) which we were discussing is a special membrane/barrier between the blood stream and the brain. When working correctly it prevents toxic chemicals from gaining access to the brain but allows in nutrients. In MCS and other illnesses where there is toxicity it seems this barrier is compromised so toxins can get to the brain causing damage and illness. Bill has discovered that thiamine HCL and Benfotiamine (special forms of vitamin B1) are particularly good at healing a compromised blood brain barrier.

So Bill has found that the following are very useful supplements for MCS and other environmental illnesses:

PPC
Thiamine HCL and Benfotiamine
SAMe
TMG
NAC

I would agree completely with those but also add that addressing adrenal and thyroid problems and using supplements that help to increase serotonin such as 5htp and vitamin B6 (in the form of P-5-P - again labelled as such) and magnesium are also useful.

I hope this helps and hasn't confused things any further!<br /><br />Post edited by: Maff, at: 2008/12/11 17:31
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Thiamine and the Blood Brain Barrier 4 years 11 months ago #8

• ddanel
  • EiR Newbie
hi bill,

wondering if you are still around? I have some specific question and would like to share at bit of my history to see if our "experiences " are a bit the same with the chemicals, pesticides but I also have High Hg levels and doing chelation with Dr Andy Cutler... as well as leaky gut, lived in moldy house so have BBB issues, bacteria in gut and feels like in brain, MCS, on and on. Would love some help if you feel you could and are interested to do so.

My e mail is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

I feel if i could heal my gut, chelate the Hg/heavy metals and seal my BBB..this would aid in healing my MCS, CFS, then I could begin to filter my kidneys and move the congested lymph (per Dr Robert Morse). A long journey but possible I believe. Would love your help and opinion

Thank you so much,

denise

Re:Thiamine and the Blood Brain Barrier 2 years 3 months ago #9

• evertiz
  • EiR Newbie
Hi Maff, how do you take the licorice?

Thanks,

Eduardo
  • Page:

Related Articles:

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds