Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Creating a chemical-free safe house, room, trailer

Creating a chemical-free safe house, room, trailer 5 years 8 months ago #1

• cornichon
  • EiR Newbie
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi Everyone,

I'm writing this blog for people with MCS and CFS as a guide to building, renovating or redecorating a chemical-free safe house. It might be just one room, or a small trailer where you can go to get away from all the chemicals. I also write about simple, cheap non-toxic cleaning products, and chemical-free furniture.

mychemicalfreehouse.blogspot.ca/

Let me know what aspects I should add or materials to consider.

Thanks
Corinne
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jodie, Wozza

Creating a chemical-free safe house, room, trailer 5 years 8 months ago #2

This is a great blog for info on building a home! Would you have any advise for someone who lives in an apartment? Fortunately the building is old and so is the carpet and most of my stuff is old too ,, but are the ways to help keep my world safe??

Creating a chemical-free safe house, room, trailer 5 years 8 months ago #3

• cornichon
  • EiR Newbie
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi, all the information will essential apply to apartments as well.

It depends on if you own or rent, how much money you are willing to spend and how much work you are willing to put into it.

Carpet is one of the biggest indoor polluters, I would completely avoid living anywhere with carpet, they offgass, and if they are old harbour allergens, mould, dust and chemical cleaning products (if used) that become impossible to remove.

I would go with an apartment that has real hardwood floors, is older but has no mould, has not been recently painted ......

In terms of things you could do if you are already in a place is to get a chemical free mattress first. That would be my first investment. I write a post on how to choose one. I would pull down any drapes and get rid of an sofas that are likely to contain flame retardants.

If you can go further to remove carpet, laminate, vinyl etc then I would do so.

You could create a safe room by foiling the walls to provide a vapour barrier with denny foil. Remove any furniture with plywood, pressed particle board, and provide a non toxic mattress.

Just depends on what level of chemical free you are looking for. You want to aim to have cleaner air indoors than outdoors!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charo

Creating a chemical-free safe house, room, trailer 5 years 8 months ago #4

I appreciate the advice so much unfortunately my situation is ... well lets just say my options are limited! I do live in a wonderful area and outdoors is better than indoors most of the time (except when my neighbors smokes outside my window!) :o) The carpet I just keep chasing but I am looking at air filters and a different mattress someday! So glad you have all that info out there to share with folks! Nice to see!

Creating a chemical-free safe house, room, trailer 5 years 8 months ago #5

• Jodie
  • Thank you received: 67
Interesting stuff Cornichon :) I guess if you're hard up it's worth considering 2nd hand furniture which will have offgassed a lot of its chems. It does depend on your level of sensitivity, but worth thinking about.

Creating a chemical-free safe house, room, trailer 5 years 8 months ago #6

• Jodie
  • Thank you received: 67
Check out this listing on Planet Thrive

planetthrive.ning.com/forum/topics/new-o...58%3AComment%3A65497

Related Articles:

Time to create page: 0.349 seconds