Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: A write-up on Gupta retraining.

A write-up on Gupta retraining. 1 year 7 months ago #1

• Jodie
  • Thank you received: 34
This is a brief write up of what is involved with the Gupta brain retraining for those who want to know (I could not find this info anywhere, so picked up a 2nd hand course on ebay and here's the result..)

Mr G is a Cambridge economics graduate (at least I think he graduated he had to retake his final year due to being ill with ME). He contracted a virus whilst visiting India in his 2nd year of university & the debilitating flu like symptoms never cleared up, doctors were no help, so he set about finding his own answers.

The theory behind his limbic system retraining is that following a severe trauma such as a virus/ an over exposure to chemicals/ a severe emotional shock or a mix of these, your subconscious mind sets out to protect you by identifying anything even remotely connected to the original reason for the injury as harmful, and kicks up a massive array of self protecting functions which can cause very serious symptoms.

As an everyday example of how your body can do this.. the flu virus is not the cause of the terrible symptoms you have with flu, fever, aches etc., it's the body's own defence system which make you feel ill as a side effect of its attempts to kill the virus. With chronic illnesses such as ME & MCS your unconscious mind gets stuck in a *permanent* loop of trying to protect your body .. Limbic system retraining attempts to break the loop.

The Gupta course I have has '2008' on the DVD so may have changed somewhat since. There are 4 DVDs and 1 audio CD

You are advised not do it if you're epileptic or suffering clinical depression, tho there is no explanation as to why not.

You are urged to not try any other option to heal yourself while you are doing the course.

DVD 1: approx 3 hours .. Explanation and grounding for the course.

DVD 2: 3 hours 20 mins .. Main training to break unconscious thought patterns. This involves a 7 step process you do in your head, tho you are supposed to do some of it out loud and with gestures for full effectiveness, but there are less embarrassing options too.
Mr G says do this 50-100 times a day if necy, depends how often you have 'negative thoughts' about your symptoms. This technique takes 2-3 mins at first but you can do it 20 secs or less once you're proficient. A negative thought is defined as a thought someone without ME etc would not have, so for instance 'i'm never going to to kick this' / 'I can't go there i'll be sick'..etc

Also a live demonstration on a patient.

DVD 3: 3 hours... Training in meditation, 'soften and flow' technique, awareness of stress patterns, breaking non symptom thoughts.

DVD 4: about 3 hrs 15 mins: Dealing with dips, subconscious blocks, getting back to normal life, motivating session, follow up with live patient.

AUDIO CD : Around 1 hr : 3 exercises for practise, taken for the main sessions: Soften and flow technique; Visualising getting better; Meditation.

There is also a large 125 page book which follows the DVDs and contains various worksheets

1 massive poster, supposed to put on your wall.

There is something called an ‘accelerator exercise’ which was added later, I don’t have that, but you’re supposed to practise that several times a day as well I believe.

if you follow advice to the letter you will be spending at least 2 hours a day for some time on quite intensive mind exercises of one sort or a other, this is a huge amount of spare time for most ppl, and I honestly dont know how you do that if you have children for instance. Some of the exercises I think you can find shortcuts for as you become more practised. He also says to take 6 months to a year 'out ' once you are well to do exactly what you like, no work pressure etc., rather unrealistic for most i would think. And that 50% of your waking time for the first year of practising this should be only for yourself and things which you want to do. But having been quite insistent you follow this exactly at the beginning of the course , near the end he says he is addressing a large number and variety of people with a large variety of symptoms of different severity, so to some extent you have to take what you need for your situation.

I wonder if the 'must do this for X hours a day' thing is because he expects you to see results in 6 months or you can claim your money back, so *he* wants results.. ! As do you of course but personally I would find it quite stressful to keep up with that amount of commitment every day, and ironically stress is exactly what he wishes you to avoid.

So my advice would be if you can't manage that amount of time each day then do the exercises at your own pace & time and resell the DVD in eBay or whatever if it doesnt work for you, or you get to the point where you don't need it any more.

My personal take is Mr G is a intelligent and very skilled practitioner who definitely gives the impression he's is 100% committed to getting you well. I have had experience of both deep relaxation and hypnotherapy, and he knows what he's doing IMO, he's very good at taking you thru guided visualisations, several times I've nearly fallen asleep I've been so zonked thru the 20 minute meditation.

I was about 70% recovered when i bought this so I'm probably not a fair subject as far as testing its effectiveness, I'm certainly not practising 2-3 hours a day. My MCS symptoms always kick off around 4am which is a bad time to get yourself totally awake and start doing visualisations.. The "soften and flow" exercise seemed to have some effect , but it may have been simply that I'd had to wake up properly to do it..(I get severe itching when I'm asleep which disappears when im awake). The itching is often followed by days of horrible brain fog and aches and exhaustion, I've not yet seen a improvement I that, but then I don't feel I've done quite enough practise or had enough bad episodes to practise on, I just wanted to get this explanation of what it's all about out there as nobody ever seems to do that!

The 'soften and flow' also worked well on a backache I had which was quite handy :)

I was going to resell the course but I love the 3 exercises on the audio DVD, they are just great for chilling out and making you feel good whether you're sick or not.

There is a lot of discussion on Planet Thrive about the Gupta course if you want learn more and / or discuss with those using that or Annie Hopper's version of limbic retraining.
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Jodie.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

data-ad-format="horizontal"

A write-up on Gupta retraining. 1 year 7 months ago #2

• Jodie
Note: I wrote this up for the Gupta Retraining Group here as well ;)

A write-up on Gupta retraining. 1 year 7 months ago #3

• Joseph F
  • EiR Junior
thankyou . Have not done so well staying present with video and audio training things .And wow this one sounds real long .Going to check it out for sure . Jodie ,you mentioned the itching . Recently when put on NAC which caused me major itching all night [Any socalled liver cleanse or detox tended to cause this ] ,Anyhow when I went on" Padma Basic " the itching stopped .What a relief .You can read up on it .I found a lot on the internet regarding it .
I like this brain retraining idea , For some 8 yrs now I have been seeing a guy who is retaining my muscles/nervous system . when exposed wrong muscle fire or over fire .I used to have the vertabrea in my neck pop out of alignment .weekly visits to chiropractor are murder and only reset the neck .this guy used the body/muscles to reset the neck and said he was teaching the body to react differently . Anyhow there is ring of similarity that compels me to check out the brain retraining idea.
I would love to hear how it does or doesn't help . Thankyou . Joseph

A write-up on Gupta retraining. 1 year 7 months ago #4

• Jodie
Hi Joseph, it was a bit of a slog getting thru it while making my own notes as well, took me about 4 weeks, but it is actually fascinating in its own right as well. I just had 200 other things I would rather be doing :) enough ppl have apparently had good results from this to make it worth a look..most of the discussions are on Planet Thrive tho. I'm sure if you asked on there you'd get an idea of how much time ppl *really* devote to this in order for it to work, I bet it's not the full works unless you're so sick you can't get out of bed. In fact several times he says 'if you can't get out of bed..then do the exercise this way..'. This older version I have is aimed at folks with ME/ chronic fatigue, but the principle/exercises are the same, he's apparently added on some more for MCS since.

Ta for info on Padma. I don't do great with herbs but I'll keep it in mind. ;)

A write-up on Gupta retraining. 1 year 7 months ago #5

• CazNZ
  • EiR Newbie
  • Thank you received: 2
Greetings Jodie

There are three DVDs and a couple of webinars that you are missing from your secondhand pack.

Two DVDs are a live presentation that Ashok gives on more current research and the accelerator technique.The third is a guide to doing the accelerator and two other guided meditations (which are rather lovely).

The webinars are one on MCS treatment techniques and the other on "being happy now".

Additionally there is a very active forum where you can go for support and advice. There is also a social network called Gupta Chat which is great for those who have worked the program for a while and wanting to network and needing encouragement to get back into life again.

Ashok also offers interactive sessions: 12 webinars over 3 months, 75 minutes per week. Yes you do have pay for these.

I've been doing the program for 6 months. I'm still having to wear nose filters in confined crowded places, e.g. a party, otherwise I find that I have a bit of a sleepless night - my heart races. Otherwise I'm really great these days. I've started my own business and working a few hours a week.

A write-up on Gupta retraining. 1 year 7 months ago #6

• Jodie
Ah Caz you are the perfect person to let us known how much of this you followed to the letter then .   I made some notes going thru the course, here's what we are recommended to follow

Guided meditation 20 mins 2 x day = 40 mins
Soften & flow exercise 20 mins 1x a day = 20mins
Alt. nostril breathing 7 mins 2 x day = 14 mins
Visualisation of your future self exercises 15mins 1 x day = 15 mins
Re-watch all DVDs "often" .. say, 30mins 1 x day
The accelerator exercise.   1 don't have this so best guess 10 mins 2 x a day? = 20 mins
Practising the 7 steps "50 - 100" (!) times a day dep on how many "negative thoughts" cross your mind.  I found I did this 3-4 times a day not 50, would be interested to hear your experiences, but if you're doing this  say 30 times a day it might take about 30 mins, so add that on too.

Total: approx 2hrs 10mins a day.
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Jodie.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.391 seconds