Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Restoring leather furniture.

Restoring leather furniture. 5 years 9 months ago #1

• Jodie
  • Thank you received: 67
We have some 15 y/o comfortable blue leather furniture - leather is cracking up and losing colour so I had to think up a way to restore it w/out chems. I hit on the idea of using good quality pastels (Rowney artists soft pastels) which I used to paint & sell portraits for a while so I know I can tolerate them, they have basic colour-fast pigments in them - no smell at all - and it worked a treat! Clean leather with soap & water to remove superficial grime. Shave a little pastel onto a plate with a knife, add a smidge of water, paint or rub into leather, really rub it in hard. Dry with hairdryer. Then I polished up with some.. chem-free hair wax (it was all I had!) ( cocoa butter, beeswax, hemp oil, castor oil.) Finally rub hard with paper towel to remove excess colour. It's come up with a beautiful soft shine & looks like new :)) I used an indigo pastel, anyone that's tried to get that off their hands will know it really stains, so don't think it will come off the leather.. nothing more is coming out with the paper towels. I found some organic castor oil & did a final once over with that which will hopefully seal it...apparently its good for leather. I think I'll order some beeswax as well, in case it needs more protection. Chuffed! :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Restoring leather furniture. 4 years 9 months ago #2

• Jodie
  • Thank you received: 67
Well that lasted about 4 months ... :pinch:
I've since found this stuff which is doing better - Leather Re-Colouring Balm - just rub it on like polish www.furnitureclinic.co.uk
Don't have a prob with it as long as I mask up when rubbing in, air the room & don't sit on the couch for a few days unless covered with a towel or similar.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Related Articles:

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds