Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New to the Forum - Introduction :)

New to the Forum - Introduction :) 3 years 9 months ago #1

Hi Everyone,

I'm brand new to the forum but not to MCS. I have had this since 2002 when I worked in an old molding building that made me sick. Looking back I think this was the start of it all BUT I have always reacted to perfumes/scents since a baby and had bad asthma. I got better around age 12 and in my teens nothing bothered me. I was even a smoker and had cats, yet when I was a baby I almost died from an asthma attack to cat dander.

Anyways, I'm 40 years old, married and live on Vancouver Island. I don't really know anyone else with this problems and so I find this illness quite isolating. That is why I decided to join the forum. I'm currently working but its been a real struggle as people still are wearing scents at work even though we are a scent free building. Also, the building is sealed up and we can't open the windows. So there isn't much fresh air.

I've had to cut my days back at work. I was doing full time, then 4 days and now 3 days. I don't know if I have MCS to be honest I've never been diagnosied but I can't see what else it can be.

I get sinusitis, headaches, plugged ears and confusion, flushing from synthetic scents including laundry soaps. But most natural fragrances such as essential oils don't bother me. I also don't react to diesel or car exhaust or paint fumes. It seems to just be synthetic fragrances. And I can smell the tiniest bit of it and it smells just like chemicals to me. Sigh.

I also wonder if this started when I dyed my hair years ago, around the same time I worked in that sick building. I had a bad allergic reaction and my hair was falling out and my head was itchy for 2 weeks. I've never dyed my hair since. But even back then I was still able to tolerate scented laundry and other products. It seems that it has only got worse since working in the building I am in now. I've been working there for 8 years.

Thank you for reading my long winded email. Do you think I have MCS?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New to the Forum - Introduction :) 3 years 9 months ago #2

• Jodie
  • Thank you received: 67
Sounds like you have MCS Sunny, folks can have it to different degrees, some only react to certain things, some react to a wider range, some are absolutely debilitated by it. As I recall, Canada is pretty good on this compared to other countries, have a google for workplace requirements for those with MCS/allergies in Canada , it would be a good move to avoid those triggers - which will hopefully stop things getting worse and your bod reacting to even more substances.

Have a read around the threads on this board & ask more questions if you need to.

There may be others near you :

www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zKEd5GEFpQxQ.k8dYJ4CscaY8

www.facebook.com/groups/MCSMap/

There are more Facebook groups too for those with MCS. Also Planet Thrive , and Green Canary group at Yahoo Groups.

Jodie
The following user(s) said Thank You: sunnybunny

New to the Forum - Introduction :) 3 years 9 months ago #3

Thank you for your post. :) Looking at that map I sure do not feel alone. I don't wish this on anyone but hopefully with all those minds we can come up with ways to cure this in the future. Thankfully, my work place has a no scent policy but some people forget or just don't care. They do get spoken to privately but I have had a couple people who refuse to give up their scents and deny they are wearing any. Management realizes this is a very serious health issue for me and they will allow me to move in an area in the building where I am not affected. So I'm grateful for that and it has allowed me to keep my job.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

New to the Forum - Introduction :) 3 years 9 months ago #4

• Jodie
  • Thank you received: 67
There was quite a discussion recently here --

groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/GreenCanary/...sations/topics/34882

groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/GreenCanary/...tions/messages/34937

on just that issue - employees wearing perfume when told not to. You should be able to see it w/out having to join the group.

New to the Forum - Introduction :) 3 years 9 months ago #5

• helsbells
  • EiR Newbie
Hi everyone
I am a severe MCS sufferer. I was diagnosed with ME/CFS 25 years ago but this has changed over the years to Ehlers Danlos and dysautonomia plus other stuff. However my biggest problem has always been MCS. I am interested if there is anyone on here based in UK? I had been reading quite a bit about Mast Cell Activation Disorder although it is difficult to get diagnosed in UK. That said all the meds used are available to me and I don't tolerate them any better than any others so I am not convinced it is the whole story. Can anyone in the UK recommend any practitioners. I have been going to Breakspear for some time for vaccines but things seem to be getting worse for me at the moment. Many thanks.

New to the Forum - Introduction :) 3 years 9 months ago #6

• helsbells
  • EiR Newbie
Sorry I seem to have added this to someone else's thread! I am on a tablet at the moment and can't work out how to undo it if a mod could help. X

Related Articles:

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds