Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: MCS and skin problems

MCS and skin problems 4 months 5 hours ago #1

• Merrimack
  • EiR Newbie
  • Thank you received: 1
Just wondering how common it is for someone to have MCS and for it to mainly affect their skin and not really have any stomach problems?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

MCS and skin problems 4 months 5 hours ago #2

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 18
Hi Merrimack, when I suffered severe acute MCS in the past my primary symptoms were neurological, which is very common. I would say if not neurological, then others would say respiratory symptoms are what trouble them the most.
However, skin symptoms are far from rare so don't think you are alone if this is a big issue for you? Recently it has become apparent that there is likely a significant allergic process involved in MCS, at least for a subset of sufferers. Specifically, there is a condition known as mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) that seems to be connected to MCS. As you're no doubt aware, mast cells are the fixed cells which release histamine during an allergic reaction when the body is exposed to a substance (allergen) to which one has an allergy.
If you search our site using the 'Google Search' box at the top right of the page (above the main menu) - you'll find members have discussed MCAD a lot recently in relation to MCS. You could also find these posts easily by browsing the MCS section of the forums.
I feel looking into this may help you understand skin conditions in MCS and their causes and the connections between the two seemingly separate issues. There are of course other factors that could be causing skin symptoms at the same time as MCS, but MCAD is certainly worth reading up on as a likely explanation. The good news with MCAD is that there are effective treatments available as allergic processes are relatively well understood, certainly compared to the lack of knowledge when it comes to MCS in the medical profession!
Hope this helps and best wishes,
Maff | EiR Founder & Editor
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill
The following user(s) said Thank You: Merrimack

MCS and skin problems 4 months 2 hours ago #3

• Merrimack
  • EiR Newbie
Thanks Maff, I'll look for those posts. A doctor told me that he wasn't convinced I had MCAD which led me to think I might have MCS. I'm still confused about what's going on. My initial symptoms were skin problems (inflammation and burning), numbness and pins and needles, weakness, headaches, coughing and hyperosmia. I got rid of a lot of toiletries and cleaning products and avoided supermarkets and other enclosed spaces and I started to feel better. I still have hyperosmia, sinus and skin problems and the sensitivity has spread to my eyes. I was wondering if any research has been done into the prevalence of various symptoms associated with MCS?
Last Edit: 4 months 50 minutes ago by Merrimack.

MCS and skin problems 3 months 4 weeks ago #4

• DyNAMiCS
  • EiR Newbie
Hello Merrimack. In addition to checking into MCAD, as Maff indicated, you might want to research EHS (electrical hypersensitivity). It sounds like you might have both MCS and EHS, as does my brother, though his EHS is more recent and milder at present than yours. Your skin symptoms reminded me of an article in the New Yorker published, I think, within the past year....a woman in England suffering from EHS. If I can locate the exact reference, I'll get back to you.

As for MCAD, I haven't researched it yet, but I have MCS ...the hyperosmic (and therefore virtually MCS-defining/confirming part) having arrived later than other MCS symptoms. However, for approximately 10 years' duration, and with the last episode occurring about 10 years prior to hyperosmic MCS onset, I had (and still do have, though markedly decreased in severity) interstitial cystitis.... a severe bladder inflammation in which none of the commonly tested-for bacteria were found. Of interest on bladder hyoerdistillation and laser coagulation of resultant bleeding, however, was the finding of the presence of mast cells in my bladder. This was in 1988.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is a "charge" component to MCS as well...ie, overall cumulative ion effect...or something along those lines....as EHS so often overlaps with MCS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Merrimack

Related Articles:

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds