Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: DHEA and MCS

Re:DHEA and MCS 5 years 8 months ago #13

• eddie57
  • EiR Newbie
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi Carolymay2013,

I noticed you mentioned you were supplementing with DHEA. Do you mind if I ask what type of test the doctor performed to determine your levels. I recently had my DHEAS levels checked by saliva, but I am not sure how accurate that method really is. Any comments is appreciated. Thanks and best of health to you.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:DHEA and MCS 5 years 8 months ago #14

Hi Eddie,

I also did a 24 hour saliva test - through Genova Diagnostics in the UK. You can order them through Doctor Myhill's website if you don't have a nutritionist / other practitioner who is registered with Genova.

My DHEA was only slightly on the low side, but I do feel dramatically better when taking it. Unfortunately - as happened with Maff too I believe - I am getting side effects having now taken it for nearly a year, even at very low doses (2.5mg per day - recommended is 5 - 10mg for women I think). I suspect this is because I have a poor detoxification pathway. It seems that if your sulfation pathway is not working well DHEA can cause a problem:

curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=1397622

(Sorry - I don't know if I am allowed to post links like this - apologies if not - I just found the information interesting there.)

I know I am mercury toxic so suspect this is my issue. I have tried doing the Epsom salt baths etc, but don't think it makes any difference for me. What I think does help a bit is eating really a lot of broccoli / cauliflower / brussel sprouts for the DIM, which helps improve the detoxification. I can't tolerate supplements generally though so you really have to eat an awful lot of those vegetables to get in the requisite quantities of DIM to make a difference!

Re the testing, I would definitely recommend the 24 hour saliva test rather than a one-off, as this also tests for cortisol levels as well as DHEA and if my results were anything to go by both can vary dramatically through the day.

Best wishes, Carolyn

Re:DHEA and MCS 5 years 8 months ago #15

• eddie57
  • EiR Newbie
Hi Carolyn

Thank you very much for replying. I had actually replied to your post yesterday, but for some reason it didn’t post. I just noticed that and thought I’d try again. I could have sworn that it posted. Guess it was a glitch. 

My 24 hour saliva cortisol test results were in range for the morning and noon samples, and High for the evening and borderline high for the night time sample. My DHEA-S level was in the “range”, but according to the report, borderline high for my age group. Not sure what that means. I wonder if somehow my results were skewed. I had been using topical hydrocortisone cream for several days prior to the day I took saliva samples. I am no expert, but it makes me wonder. According to what I’ve read DHEA is a precursor to testosterone. If that is true, why are my testosterone levels so low? It doesn’t make sense. I am still wondering if those saliva tests are correct, so I ordered the DHEA-s bloodspot test kit from ZRT Laboratories yesterday. I want to verify if the results from the saliva were accurate. I am curious to say the least.

You mentioned you had mercury toxicity. Do you mind sharing what tests you had done to determine toxicity? I want to have my heavy metal toxicity checked but I am not sure what test to have done. I’ve heard about the Hair Analysis Test and the Urinalysis Test, but really not sure what way to go.

You mentioned eating really a lot of broccoli, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts for the DIM, which helps improve the detoxification, is that supposed to be eaten cooked or raw?

I’ve been reading on detox supplements for heavy metal detox and I have read good things about zeolite. I also read the Modified Citrus Pectin helps excrete heavy metals and also read some really good things about Sodium Alginate which supposedly acts like a magnate for heavy metals.

Well, Thanks again for replying.

Health & Happiness to you,

-Eddie

PS: You can't go wrong with the name Carolyn. That was my mom's name. :)
Last Edit: 5 years 8 months ago by eddie57.

Re:DHEA and MCS 5 years 8 months ago #16

Hi Eddie - apologies for the delay - I have been really busy with work.

If you were using hydrocortisone cream before taking the saliva samples, I imagine that could have affected the accuracy of the testing. Perhaps you might want to re-try with a few weeks of not taking anything?

I tested my mercury by way of a DMSA provocation urine test - also via Dr Myhill. My mercury was 10 times over the baseline level after DMSA, so there appears to be a fair amount in there unfortunately - I think due to poor thyroid functioning and detoxification. I wish I had tested for the other metals at the same time though as I suspect copper may also be a big issue.

Re DIM, I don't know to be honest whether cooking it renders it less useful - quite likely I imagine, but at the same time I couldn't stomach (literally!) the equivalent volume raw!

Thanks for your thoughts for heavy metal detox. I did buy some MCP and have tried endless other things in the past but I am hopeless with supplements. My theory is that this is because I have a residual mould infection. My health really took a nose-dive when living in a mouldy flat a few years ago, and now anything like citric acid or anything fermented doesn't work at all for me. My preferred method now is sweating - hot yoga and am shortly off for a sauna! Plus a tiny dose of DHEA really does seem to help me a great deal.

Best wishes, Carolyn

Re:DHEA and MCS 5 years 8 months ago #17

• eddie57
  • EiR Newbie
Hi Carolyn -

I hope all is well. Don't to worry about not replying right away. Sometimes our schedule works out that way.

Regarding my cortisol, I am going to retest it. I was also supplementing with adaptogens so that may have also skewed my results.

I would check all your heavy metals, vitamins and minerals to verify what you need to focus on. I am planning on getting those tests in the coming weeks. I met an individual online who is very knowledgible and recently sent me a shortened version of his writings. What he wrote is very interesting and makes a lot of sense. Let me know if you’re interested in reading it. He highly recommends the hair analysis tests for toxicity levels and vitamin/mineral deficiciencies.

Thanks for the information on the DMSA provocation test for heavy metals. Regarding your mercury toxicity. Did you retest your levels after using the HM Chelators? You may want to, to see if the treatments are working.

As for your copper levels, I was reading an online article that states if you supplement with zinc, that will lower your copper levels. According to Dr. Larry Wilson, when one is under stress your zinc levels drop, which allows your copper levels to rise. Google COPPER TOXICITY SYNDROME by Lawrence Wilson, MD, for a nice article that has a lot of information.

It’s funny that you mentioned saunas and sweating. I was researching on the web that Far Infrared Saunas help detox heavy metals. I am in the market for one of those. Some are quite pricey, but the portable ones are affordable.

Thanks for the reply. I hope you get your health where it needs to be.

Regards,

Eddie

Re:DHEA and MCS 2 years 2 months ago #18

• evertiz
  • EiR Newbie
Hi Maff,

I would greatly appreciate it if you can break down what I should do in simple terms so that I can explain it to doctors here in Mexico City. My questions are as follows:

1. From what I read, it seems that step one would be to get tested to see where my DHEA and cortisol levels are, correct?

2. It seems that THE test to get is the ZRT Blood Spot Test?

3. Should I get the profile 1 or the profile 2 test kit?

4. Once I get the results, what kind of doctor should I visit (hard to find a specialized "conscious" doctor in Mexico City for this specifically?

5. If you had to go to a "regular doctor", what kind of doctor would you go to and what specific information would you ask them?

Infinite thanks!

Eduardo

Related Articles:

Time to create page: 0.815 seconds