Review Detail

Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA)
Nutrients G-L
Written by Maff     October 06, 2010    
I have given GABA powder a few tries over recent years in an effort to reduce symptoms of anxiety and improve sleep. While I experience very noticeable effects when taking GABA, it is rather like I have been numbed to the anxious feelings and muscle tension, rather than them being reduced directly. GABA supplements are certainly fast acting but the flipside is that any beneficial effects tend to wear off within a few hours. Having taken benzodiazepine drugs on and off I am able to make a direct comparison and GABA is much less potent. Of course, there is not the risk of dependence as there is with the 'benzos'.

Since GABA is relatively cheap and does xert beneficial, although shortlived effects, I have often combined it with other calming nutrients and herbs and this is an approach that seems to be pretty effective, at least in my case.

I have only noted side effects with GABA when taking very high dosages and these have been limited to mild nausea and a spaced out sensation. Moderate dosages have been no problem.

Although certainly no miracle cure, GABA supplements may be of some benefit and thus worth a trial.

Overall rating 

Perceived Effectiveness  

Lack of side effects (tolerability)  

Ease of use  

Value for money  

Would you recommend? 

Maff Reviewed by Maff October 06, 2010
Last updated: October 06, 2010
#1 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews (107)

Mildly Effective for Anxiety and Insomnia

I have given GABA powder a few tries over recent years in an effort to reduce symptoms of anxiety and improve sleep. While I experience very noticeable effects when taking GABA, it is rather like I have been numbed to the anxious feelings and muscle tension, rather than them being reduced directly. GABA supplements are certainly fast acting but the flipside is that any beneficial effects tend to wear off within a few hours. Having taken benzodiazepine drugs on and off I am able to make a direct comparison and GABA is much less potent. Of course, there is not the risk of dependence as there is with the 'benzos'.

Since GABA is relatively cheap and does xert beneficial, although shortlived effects, I have often combined it with other calming nutrients and herbs and this is an approach that seems to be pretty effective, at least in my case.

I have only noted side effects with GABA when taking very high dosages and these have been limited to mild nausea and a spaced out sensation. Moderate dosages have been no problem.

Although certainly no miracle cure, GABA supplements may be of some benefit and thus worth a trial.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments