Review Detail

Pau D'Arco
Herbs M-R
Written by Maff     March 24, 2011    
I have tried Pau D'Arco in various forms and would atest to its reported antifungal activity. As a result of the immune dysfunction associated with chronic fatigue syndrome I have for years struggled with intestinal bacterial and yeast overgrowth. Taking antifungals, both prescription drugs and natural alternatives, has always resulted in distinctive nervous system-related symptoms for me, including irritability, restlessness, and anxiety. I can only attribute these to a die-off, or Herxheimer, reaction.

In any event Pau D'Arco in its various forms has elicited this same set of symptoms in me very quickly with daily use so I would suggest that it would indeed be effective as an antifungal. Unfortunately, I am unable to tolerate it, or any other antifungal, for the prolonged periods my condition apparently requires.

I afeel I should mention that as a tea Pau D'Arco can kindly be referred to as an acquired taste. It is tree bark, and it basically tastes like tree bark. I'd opt for capsules or a liquid extract!

Overall rating 

Perceived Effectiveness  

Lack of side effects (tolerability)  

Ease of use  

Value for money  

Would you recommend? 

Maff Reviewed by Maff March 24, 2011
#1 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews (107)

A useful natural antifungal

I have tried Pau D'Arco in various forms and would atest to its reported antifungal activity. As a result of the immune dysfunction associated with chronic fatigue syndrome I have for years struggled with intestinal bacterial and yeast overgrowth. Taking antifungals, both prescription drugs and natural alternatives, has always resulted in distinctive nervous system-related symptoms for me, including irritability, restlessness, and anxiety. I can only attribute these to a die-off, or Herxheimer, reaction.

In any event Pau D'Arco in its various forms has elicited this same set of symptoms in me very quickly with daily use so I would suggest that it would indeed be effective as an antifungal. Unfortunately, I am unable to tolerate it, or any other antifungal, for the prolonged periods my condition apparently requires.

I afeel I should mention that as a tea Pau D'Arco can kindly be referred to as an acquired taste. It is tree bark, and it basically tastes like tree bark. I'd opt for capsules or a liquid extract!

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments