Review Detail

Olive Leaf Extract
Herbs M-R
Written by Maff     April 06, 2011    
As a chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) sufferer of 20 years, it makes a lot of sense to me to include olive leaf extract in my regular supplement regime. It has proven activity against the herpes family of viruses, many of which (e.g. EBV, HHV-6) have been shown time and time again to be present and active in a large proportion of ME/CFS patients. In addition olive leaf extract is antibacterial and antifungal and as any ME/CFS sufferer will tell you, bacterial and fungal infections, particularly in the gut in the form of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) and Candida/fungal overgrowth, are a common and stubborn complication of the immune dysfunction which we experience.

Olive leaf extract then is a great all-rounder that directly tackles all types of chronic infections that can be involved in chronic fatigue syndrome. On top of that it is a potent antioxidant (ME/CFS is associated with antioxidant depletion and oxidative stress) and is also much more affordable than many other supplements and medications, particularly antivirals and immunomodulators.

My own personal experience confirms to me that olive leaf extract is indeed effective against intestinal fungal and bacterial overgrowth, based on tell-tale die-off symptoms and repeat stool analyses. Its effect on viruses is harder to confirm and quantify. All I can say is that my illness began with a recurrent viral infection (glandular fever initially suspected) and I do experience an appreciable increase in energy and decrease in fatigue when taking olive leaf extract.

Supplements do vary widely in quality so it is best to look for those that state that they have been standardised to contain >15% oleuropein.

Overall rating 

Perceived Effectiveness  

Lack of side effects (tolerability)  

Ease of use  

Value for money  

Would you recommend? 

Maff Reviewed by Maff April 06, 2011
Last updated: April 06, 2011
#1 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews (107)

Good for chronic fatigue syndrome infections

As a chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) sufferer of 20 years, it makes a lot of sense to me to include olive leaf extract in my regular supplement regime. It has proven activity against the herpes family of viruses, many of which (e.g. EBV, HHV-6) have been shown time and time again to be present and active in a large proportion of ME/CFS patients. In addition olive leaf extract is antibacterial and antifungal and as any ME/CFS sufferer will tell you, bacterial and fungal infections, particularly in the gut in the form of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) and Candida/fungal overgrowth, are a common and stubborn complication of the immune dysfunction which we experience.

Olive leaf extract then is a great all-rounder that directly tackles all types of chronic infections that can be involved in chronic fatigue syndrome. On top of that it is a potent antioxidant (ME/CFS is associated with antioxidant depletion and oxidative stress) and is also much more affordable than many other supplements and medications, particularly antivirals and immunomodulators.

My own personal experience confirms to me that olive leaf extract is indeed effective against intestinal fungal and bacterial overgrowth, based on tell-tale die-off symptoms and repeat stool analyses. Its effect on viruses is harder to confirm and quantify. All I can say is that my illness began with a recurrent viral infection (glandular fever initially suspected) and I do experience an appreciable increase in energy and decrease in fatigue when taking olive leaf extract.

Supplements do vary widely in quality so it is best to look for those that state that they have been standardised to contain >15% oleuropein.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments