Posted by: Maff
on Jun 05, 2009
As part of some research I was doing for my degree lately I had to address the issue of mercury fillings and their potential to cause ill-health. Having no fillings myself this is not a subject I have looked at in any real detail before, but I know it may be a major concern to many of you.
The literature I came across was certainly conflicting. The US National Institutes of Health (NIH) published a news release acknowledging study findings from the 1970s and 80s demonstrating that amalgam fillings are continuously giving off mercury vapour...which of course the unlucky individual with the fillings then inhales. Until this time it was thought that exposure only occured during the initial installation of the fillings and that after that the mercury was stable.