Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Explaining your illness to your family

Explaining your illness to your family 9 months 2 weeks ago #1

• Morgan
  • EiR Newbie
Hello everyone,

A difficulty I know many of you face is explaining your illness to your family. Have any of you found a successful way of going about it? I have severe digestive system problems which progressed into mild/moderate MCS with some things, and severe MCS with others. For the past five years this has made it impossible for me to live a "normal life." After several years my family realized that I do have underlying medical issues, but still believe that my problems come largely from mental illness and an eating disorder.
This is complicated by the fact that I am still more or less at the point in my life where I am just starting off and ever since my health has taken a steep decline recently my parents have been helping me substantially financially (including helping me afford my doctor). They are so worried about how sick I am and in their minds would do anything to help me, but the true cause is such a foreign idea to them that they relate my actions most with OCD. They placate most of my needs/avoidances but I know if it ever came down to it and my state declined enough that they were responsible for my care, in an attempt to help me they would put me in an eating disorder facility, which terrifies me.

It is difficult to explain something like this to someone who doesn't have any prior concept of anything like it. Have any of you found a good way to truly convey the reality of your illness to your family?
All responses and experiences are much appreciated.
Morgan
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Related Articles:

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds