Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Has anyone successfully treated chronic sinusitis?

Has anyone successfully treated chronic sinusitis? 9 months 1 week ago #1

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 18
Does anyone have suggestions for treating chronic sinusitis? I strongly suspect my wife is suffering from repeated flare-ups of sinusitis due to chronic sinus infection from the research I've done. She's a school teacher and is repeatedly developing symptoms including a blocked and/or runny nose, nasal inflammation and itching, and headaches that radiate from her nose (nasal sinus area). These are usually followed by a cough and sore throat, various GI symptoms, while she generally feels pretty awful throughout!

At first we both thought she was just picking up colds and flu from kids and other staff at school - an occupational hazard. However, the nature of her symptoms and the frequency with which they develop as soon as she becomes stressed, exhausted and generally "run down", due to being overworked, makes me think chronic sinusitis has got to be a strong possibility...

I've suggested during previous acute episodes that we need to find a product to flush out any bugs (fungus/mold and/or bacteria) from her nasal passages and sinuses but she's so far just managed with OTC painkillers and cold/flu remedies. It's only now another flare-up has occurred that I've finally come across the Breathe Easy Kit from Micro Balance which includes a nasal wash system (Nasopure) - of the kind I'd been looking for - along with citrus-based homeopathic anti-microbial products (CitriDrops Nasal Spray and Oral Dietary Supplement).

My wife has just started using the above today as recommended on the box. I was so relieved to finally find the kind of product I've thought she's needed, I'm now just really hoping for some positive results, quickly. I know well that sinusitis is frequently linked to chronic infections, particularly fungal, so the combination of the nasal wash and anti-microbial treatments has me optimistic!

Has anybody had experience with this product or something similar or do you have other suggestions for the treatment of chronic sinusitis? It's plagued my wife for years now so I don't want to see her suffering needlessly any longer if we can successfully treat it for good. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill
Last Edit: 9 months 1 week ago by Maff.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Has anyone successfully treated chronic sinusitis? 9 months 1 week ago #2

• Jodie
  • Thank you received: 65
I use nasal washes but a neti pot with a slim spout which gets 'right up there' .. I've tried squirty bottles of various mixes including NeilMed but they don't do the biz, just don't get to the right spots.

I basically use sea salt + boiled tepid water.. ( I boil water & make ice cubes ... then when needed I only have to boil a little water and add an ice cube to get to the right temp quickly).

I found ceramic Neti pots are best, but I needed to experiment with size, I only have a little nose! you need something that's going to get right in there and for me most of them wouldn't. I found this was the best supplier

www.satnam.eu/neti-pots-nasal-care-c-187.html

I had the small one, but actually I think the others would have been ok. Did order one from Amazon and the spout was too big to work well.

++HOW MUCH SALT TO USE IN A NETI POT

"If you are using finely ground non-iodized salt, you should add one-quarter teaspoon for every 8 ounces of water. If you are using coarsely ground salt, add one-half teaspoon"

If it stings you are using too much, take it down a bit.. I use slightly less. The salt, apart from disinfecting, makes the saline solution similar to your own body's PH which means it shouldn't sting... unless you use too much!

I have to do 3 x a day for first 3 days, then 2 x a day, then taper off. If I'm going thru a bad phase I use 1 x day as a preventative. Just occasionally I need to do more than 3x

There are variety of videos on youtube showing you how to use them

www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how...sinus+infection&sm=1

It's not very glam, standing over the bath or loo at a right angle & with your head down - relax - pour the water in one side and it will come out of the other, rinsing as it goes.. there's a little bit of a knack to it but its not too difficult.

Then you have to blow your nose several times with your head upside down- & also as you come up to standing blow it several times again to get all the excess water out while your head is at the different angles - otherwise it can get into your ears .. + can hang around in yr sinuses too which is not the idea, the idea is to get a flow through in order to rinse, then get it all out again.

Some people I know use this system
nasoneb.com

The only issue with neti's is it gets quite awkward to use while at work or travelling, I'm still trying to invent ways of doing that. I guess one could use a neti morning and evening and something else midday. You have to clean it after use - I pour thru boiling water while cleaning the spout with cotton bud or mini bottle brush.. difficult to do while out of the house, but maybe could use some sort of sterilising lotion.
You can get microbes in straight tap water which is why you need boiled water.. however these apparently don't survive once dried out, so you could rinse in hot tap water and leave to dry thoroughly.

I've also had good reports about Sterimar Nasal spray...www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001EJOHUA/r...&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Have not tried it yet..

Good luck.. sinus flare ups are horrible! :dry: :sick:
Last Edit: 9 months 1 week ago by Jodie.

Has anyone successfully treated chronic sinusitis? 9 months 1 week ago #3

Hi, Matt!
I am so sorry that your wife can't shake her sinus issues. I do think you are on the right rack with the sinus washes and the MicroBalance products and protocol. I will say, that from my experience with fungal-related chronic sinusitis, that if she does determine that she has a mold allergy, she need to find out what the source of her recurrent exposure is--be that the school, home, gym--essentially anywhere she is spending consistent time. Unfortunately, in the world of mold, the symptoms and related illnesses will always return as long as there is regular exposure. (I have many posts about how to clean for mold and how to treat mold issues in the home in my blog howtocleanformold.com, if you are interested.) Now for the good news: I have a step-by-step protocol that I use, that works. I vouch for its efficacy, because I use it a first sniffle, and it cuts a sinus infection off at the pass, before it can take hold and require antibiotics or other pharmaceuticals that can wreck your gut and other things.
1. Purchase some sort of saline sinus mixes with the bottle. I use the Neil Med system, but that may not be available in the UK. Any will do. You just need to make sure to always use distilled water and the included saline mix packets. I always warm the water as well, which helps to open the sinus and get more of the junk out. I have also found that doing this in the shower, when it is nice and steamy works really well.
2. Once the sinuses have been irrigated with the saline wash, gently blow the nose to remove any remaining water.
3. Now, use the CitriDrop Nasal spray from MicroBalance. Spray each nostril 3 times.
4. Do not blow your nose until the CitriDrops spray has been absorbed into the sinus.
5. Use the Sinus Defense homeopathic sublingual spray under the tongue. Spray 6-9 sprays.
This protocol should be repeated at least 3 x a day during a sinus episode. When clear of sinus issues, continue to use the saline washes when you suspect mold exposure. I also use the Sinus Defense sublingual spray everyday to prevent sinus infections. It will gradually help your body to build its own defenses to the mold that makes you sick. It is really breakthrough, wonderful preventative supplementation at its best. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. I am always, always happy to help and to teach anything I have learned about mold, mold allergies, and how to cope.
Be well,
Catherine

Has anyone successfully treated chronic sinusitis? 9 months 1 week ago #4

I also wanted to share this link that discusses the fact that 96 percent of chronic rhinosinusitis patients have a fungus in cultures of their nasal secretions. In sensitive individuals, the presence of fungus results in a disease process in which the body's immune system sends white blood cells to attack fungi, and this irritates the membranes in the nose. As long as fungi remain, so will the irritation.

Just food for thought, really, if you are finding yourself continuously battling sinus infections. Helps to show that if you are not using something, like the CitriDrops Nasal Spray to kill and eliminate the fungus, the irritation in your sinus will continue, and you will keep getting sick.

Has anyone successfully treated chronic sinusitis? 9 months 1 week ago #5

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 18
Wow, thanks so much to both of you for such detailed accounts of both your personal experiences and the specific treatment regimes you use to combat nasty sinusitis flare-ups!

Jodie, I didn't realise you suffered with chronic sinusitis along with all the other health problems I do know you're battling from your previous posts and our other correspondence. You're a trooper and I really appreciate you taking the time to help the rest of us out while fighting your own battles. I see both you and Catherine mention the Neil Med system, so I'm guessing those of us in the UK are able to get hold of this? I know you say you haven't had as much success with it as Catherine has but in case we need to try that I was wondering where you bought it? I've not come across it but perhaps I haven't been looking hard enough?

Your approach was what I initially had in mind Jodie, before coming across the complete system offered by Micro Balance that Catherine has had so much success with. I knew from posting sinusitis articles here on EiR that breathing in salts was a typical approach to treatment so I really appreciate you posting how specifically you use them. I'll remember to come back to this forum thread in future if my wife feels the need to go down this route - thanks for the links for purchasing the neti pots and also to the YouTube instructional videos. My beloved other half is forever watching video clips on Facebook and YouTube on her phone so I know that's a good format for her to "consume" information!

Catherine, thanks so much for your empathy. It's horrible watching those you love suffer, as a quick browse of your fantastic blog reveals you're well aware of with your own family's struggles with mold-related illnesses. Also, since you've had such success with the Micro Balance products it's great to have a step-by-step guide for us to follow when using them, since we already have them ready to go. Ironically, my wife has actually recovered from this latest bout of sinusitis quite quickly - I think due to the fact she is less stressed with the end of school term coming up and the knowledge we have a week's holiday/vacation in the warm sun of the Canary Islands booked for this coming Saturday (woohoo!). I'll make sure though that as soon as another flare-up begins, she starts going though the steps you've laid out right away. I suspect from experience that unfortunately that won't be too long into the new term back in the classroom; she teaches all day and then has to carry on working all evening almost every day, marking books and planning lessons (and more!) and still has to devote some of her weekends to work as well - it's no wonder she's stressed out and her immune system is compromised really, is it?

I forgot to mention Sinus Defense in my original post but of course that's something else we have in our armoury and I think I'm right in saying she should really be starting to take that right away as a preventative? It sounds like it's worked wonders for you Catherine so I'm hoping for similar results over here! Of course, we do eat well (most of the time!), exercise as much as possible, and take high quality multi-vitamins etc - but my wife's also been found to be mildly anaemic this past summer and was prescribed iron tablets but she's very good at "forgetting" to take medications of any kind! I'll have to add the Sinus Defense to the list of things she's needs to be taking daily. I'm starting to feel like a parent trying to get his kid to take their medicine and she'll be 30 in May haha!

Anyway, a huge thank you again to you both and hopefully this time next year with your help. I'll have my amazing wife fighting fit! If I think of any questions or anything comes up when we try either of your approaches I know where to come with my questions ladies...

Best wishes and good health over the festive period to you both and your loved ones :)
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill
Last Edit: 9 months 1 week ago by Maff.

Has anyone successfully treated chronic sinusitis? 9 months 1 week ago #6

• Jodie
  • Thank you received: 65
Hi Maff,

I used a simple NeilMed starter kit www.amazon.co.uk/NeilMed-Sinus-Rinse-Sta...1-3&keywords=neilmed Didn't do much for me and stank of plastic, not good for someone whose sinus issues are aggravated by chems :unsure:

I've also used this: www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006ICQBYI/r...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which worked to start with then started aggravating my nose bigtime! probably the fault of the grapefruit seed extract in there, very potent stuff.
Last Edit: 9 months 1 week ago by Jodie.

• Page:

Related Articles:

Time to create page: 0.299 seconds