Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Is there a way to tell if you've got MCS?

Is there a way to tell if you've got MCS? 1 year 6 months ago #1

• Tab
  • EiR Newbie
Hi. I've been trying for years to figure out what was going on with my health. The waters are quite muddied up because I also have some psychological stuff that doctors and therapists have tried to convince me is the cause of everything. If only they saw me day to day instead of for only 30 minutes-hour sitting on a chair! They'd see how the problems with brain fog/cognition affect even the simplest tasks. Or if they were in my head they'd feel the constant low level headaches that I experience. Sorry, I'm just very frustrated with the medical and psychiatric community now. The psychs I've seen don't seem to understand the extent of how little doctors rule out any physical causes, and the doctors don't seem to get how just because I might have some psych problems doesn't mean there's more physically going on. I'm putting the past behind me now and taking my health into my own hands.

So that gets me to MCS. I have such severe brain fog and I believe dissociation (the closest I've come to relating to other's brain problems is the cognitive problems seen in MS and CFS patients...and I have a few MS people in my family), that I don't even really "feel" my body at all anymore. It's really hard to describe, and I've had it as long as I can remember but it's just gotten worse as I've gotten older. (I'm in my early twenties now, by the way). So if I have a hard time feeling what's going on in my body...how can I rule in or out MCS? I've noticed things, like that my headaches seem to get worse when driving and when putting gas in the car. Chlorine makes me feel off. I guess even if I don't have severe MCS I'd like to avoid toxic things and see if I felt better. But as far as I know there isn't an objective test like a blood test, right? One thing I was thinking of doing was sleeping in a tent on the back porch for a while and see if I feel better (that may or may not affect emf levels, but will affect any mold toxicity).

What do y'all think?
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Tab. Reason: fixed syntax
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Is there a way to tell if you've got MCS? 1 year 5 months ago #2

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 18
Hi Tab,
The short answer would be yes and no. Like everything MCS, diagnosis is not an exact science (yet). There's no single lab test or scan you can have that will give you a definitive answer so we must really on things like history of exposures, how symptoms developed over time, current symptoms and then combine that with a variety of data from medical testing - from what would be considered both 'conventional' and 'alternative' points of view.
My friend Mike Badolato (search MCS Etiology) had developed some up to date diagnosis criteria and I will be posting them here at EiR shortly, there are no official criteria and the last produced by a consensus of MCS doctors dates back to 1999 and things have moved on a lot in the research of the Illness since then.
Please search our website and others for terms such as ("mcs diagnosis") and you will find a lot of information on the subject.
I will come back to you as soon as I can with more specifics re: symptoms and lab testing as soon as possible but my impending wedding is taking up most of my time and energy right now.
I hope you find the answers you're seeking.
Best wishes and best of health,
Maff (Matthew Hogg)
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Is there a way to tell if you've got MCS? 1 year 5 months ago #3

• Tab
  • EiR Newbie
Thank you, I'll try and do some research, but please do message again with info when you get the chance.

Slightly off topic, but I was thinking about doing the NMT test that Dr. De Meirleir considers as diagnostic for cfs, and saw you'd done a review. Are you considering doing his approach for your CFS?

Related Articles:

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds