Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Do fumes from carpets linger after removal?

Do fumes from carpets linger after removal? 1 month 2 weeks ago #7

• Unruhka
  • EiR Newbie
Oh no! We are closing on a house (living in a hotel in a new town) and the estate executors put in brand new carpeting and soft vinyl tiles that make me sick within minutes. The smell is overpowering, even after being aired out some. We are going to rip it up and put in marmoleum or cork (for small child, otherwise I would just polish the concrete). But if the VOC's will linger, I'll still get sick and my poor daughter's developing brain will be vulnerable. It's bad enough I have to purchase a blocker for the paint VOC's. I still might have to stay at the hotel for an extra couple of weeks?! This is turning into a bit of a nightmare. I just wish everyone would stop using toxic junk.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Do fumes from carpets linger after removal? 3 weeks 1 day ago #8

• MrGB85
  • EiR Newbie
  • Thank you received: 1
The VOC’s from carpet and underlay (Styrene/4-PC) will dissipate once the offending items have been removed but if it has been laid on concrete and the carpet fitters have used spray-on glue (contains benzene) this can often be the most potent and damaging VOC to a lot of people. I’m not sure if there is a sealer for the glue but there is a 3-coat product in the USA offered by Green Building Supply called AFM Safecoat Carpet Seal which can be applied straight onto the carpet to encapsulate it and prevent it offgassing. In terms of the products efficacy I can’t comment as they wouldn’t ship to me in the U.K. (neither would there German European distributor) but in response to the original question, if it is just carpets/underlay that are causing the issue them removing them will eliminate the source and the residual odours can be removed with good ventilation (use an air purifier if you can to accelerate).
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:

Related Articles:

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds