Social Links

Follow on Facebook Follow on TwitterFollow EiR on PinterestFollow EiR on Instagram

Xpert Access


Login To Get Involved!

Forgot your username?

Forgot your password?


Join Us At EiR Now!

DNRS Roof Banner


Universal AJAX Live Search

Search - Categories
Search - Contacts
Search - Content
Search - Newsfeeds
Search - Weblinks

Air Freshener Nearly Kills Woman





MCS America

Lourdes Salvador's Column

...Co-founder of MCS America discusses the latest Multiple Chemical Sensitivity issues.









Lourdes Salvador is the founder of MCS America, a science writer, and a social advocate for the greater awareness of environmental contamination, human toxicology, and propagation of multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS) as a disorder of organic biological origin induced by toxic environmental insults.

For more information visit MCS America




Monday, July 11th, 2011:


Air Freshener Nearly Kills WomanAir Freshener Nearly Kills Woman

by Lourdes Salvador



A 25-year-old woman collapsed and nearly died in the supermarket after unintended exposure to air freshener according to doctors at Sri Gokulam Hospitals & Research Institute, Salem, India.


She suffered ventricular fibrillation, a life-threatening abnormal heart rhythm due to butane toxicity from the air freshener.


"Most people don´t realize what air fresheners contain and just how dangerous it can be. Numerous cases of deaths, explosions, and respiratory problems have been reported around the world.


The woman´s husband started cardiopulmonary resuscitation and the hospital diagnosed her with coarse ventricular fibrillation as a result of exposure to air freshener.


Defibrillation paddles were used three times before her heart rhythm returned to normal. Fortunately, in this case, the woman recovered after five days in the hospital.


The air freshener was tested and it as determined that it contained isobutene. According to the US Department of Labor, Occupational Safety and Health Administration, isobutene acts on the central nervous system. The potential symptoms of exposure to isobutane include drowsiness, narcosis, shortness of breath, asphyxia, and sudden death from ventricular fibrillation.


Air fresheners have the potential to be quite dangerous. The toxic chemicals they contain, such as isobutene, may accumulate when used in enclosed indoor spaces. Any chance of sudden death from ventricular fibrillation is not to be taken lightly.


When air freshener is added to stale air, it only serves to worsen the air quality and add to the existing odor.


The best way to freshen the air, and the only way to actually reduce odors and pollution, is to increase ventilation and open windows. Free standing air filters or those which attached to the heating and air conditioning also help to reduce stale odors and allergens.



Senthilkumaran S, Meenakshisundaram R, Michaels AD, Balamurgan N, Thirumalaikolundusubramanian P. Ventricular fibrillation after exposure to air freshener-death just a breath away. J Electrocardiol. 2011 Jun 20. PMID: 21696756.




For more articles on this topic, see: MCSA News.


Copyrighted 2011 Lourdes Salvador & MCS America



Multiple Chemical Sensitivity Forums




Please Help Support EiR with a Positive Google Review!

Review on Google


If you like EiR and / or enoyed this content; please help us keep going by leaving a Positive Google Review: 

P.S. This is entirely secure, we collect no data other than what is freely available from Google and you can remain anonymous!


Related Articles:


Mold Testing & Sanitizer:







  • No comments found

Leave your comments

Post comment as a guest

0 Character restriction
Your text should be more than 25 characters
Your comments are subjected to administrator's moderation.
terms and condition.

Adsense Responsive BottomBanner