Lourdes Salvador's Column
...Co-founder of MCS America discusses the latest Multiple Chemical Sensitivity issues.
Lourdes Salvador is the founder of MCS America, a science writer, and a social advocate for the greater awareness of environmental contamination, human toxicology, and propagation of multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS) as a disorder of organic biological origin induced by toxic environmental insults.
For more information visit MCS America
Weight Loss & Chemical ExposureWoman Overcomes Adversity After Tragedy Strikes
by Michelle Prince
Have you tried every diet imaginable only to find yourself still struggling to lose weight? Even if you do manage to lose a few pounds, do they (and them some) slowly come right back on? There is a simple reason why most diets don't work. Toxins from the chemicals we are exposed to every day store in fat cells making it very difficult to lose weight and keep it off.
We have long believed that achieving and maintaining our ideal weight is all about reducing our intake of calories and increasing fat burning exercises. That basic equation remains fundamentally true; however other important factors influence our ability to lose weight. Research has shown a strong association between weight gain and the chemicals present in our food, personal care products, household cleaners, plastics and the environment.
Diets Don't Work (if Your Body is Toxic)
We are exposed to toxic chemicals that accumulate in our bodies by ingesting, inhaling or absorbing them through our skin. They are present in the packaging our foods are purchased in, the food itself, the cookware we use to prepare it, the products we wash our dishes and countertops with and the plastics we store our leftovers in. All of that without even leaving the kitchen!
Support Your Adrenals and Thyroid
Many of the chemicals we're exposed to every day have been shown to disrupt the fine balance of the endocrine system; a system of glands, each of which secretes a type of hormone into the bloodstream to regulate the body's reproduction, development and metabolism. Known as "endocrine disruptors", these estrogen mimicking chemicals affect the entire endocrine system with the thyroid and adrenal glands being key players when it comes to weight gain. Compromised thyroid function causes gradual weight gain and a sluggish metabolism. The adrenal glands release cortisol during times of stress, which creates excess fat in your mid-section.
Cleanse Your Body of Toxins to Lose Weight
Without cleansing your body of toxins, any weight loss you experience will be temporary at best. So, instead of counting calories, consider doing a light cleanse. The Fat Flush Plan by Dr. Ann Louise Gittleman is a gentle, highly effective approach to cleansing your body of toxins. This simple program allows you to eat delicious, healthy foods while detoxifying and losing weight. Moreover, you will learn a satisfying new style of eating that will support you in maintaining your weight loss.
Simple Steps to Support Cleansing and Weight Loss
- Avoid white foods such as rice, pasta, potatoes, bread and sugar.
- Discontinue your use of diet drinks and "sugar free" energy bars. Most are full of toxic, artificial sweeteners.
- Switch from artificial sweeteners to stevia, agave or xylitol. These don't affect your blood sugar and are calorie free.
- Spirulina is a great, high protein way to balance your blood sugar and curb your appetite.
- Eat smaller portions more frequently to speed up your metabolism. Starving yourself slows it down and works against your weight loss efforts.
- Choose organic foods, meats and dairy products whenever possible to avoid additives, pesticides and chemicals.
- Avoid soy products (they compromise thyroid function) and genetically modified foods such as corn.
- Drink plenty of fresh, clean water to flush toxins from your body and satisfy your hunger.
- Try adding fresh lemons, extra virgin coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil to your diet.
- Discontinue the use of processed foods.
- Try skin brushing to enhance the release of toxins through your skin.
- Consider a chlorine shower filter to eliminate this harmful chemical from the water you bathe in.
Cleansing the toxic chemicals from your body will support your weight loss efforts and set you on a path of healthy eating. The key to maintaining your weight loss is to avoid falling back into old habits that will expose you to the chemicals that contributed to your weight gain in the first place. Switching to chemical free products for your body and your home is good for you and good for the planet. And, it just might help you lose that stubborn extra weight.
For more articles on this topic, see: MCSA News.
Copyrighted 2012 Lourdes Salvador & MCS America
Please Help Support EiR with a Positive Google Review!
If you like EiR and / or enoyed this content; please help us keep going by leaving a Positive Google Review:
Review EiR on Google NOW!
P.S. This is entirely secure, we collect no data other than what is freely available from Google and you can remain anonymous!
Mold Testing & Sanitizer: