The Body Ecology Diet (BED) Column
......with Donna Gates
Do you often feel fatigued and just not as healthy and energetic as you know you should be? Or are you challenged with digestive issues, overweight, diabetes, candida-related issues, immune disorders or other diseases? Then you owe it to yourself to sign up for the natural health world's most respected free health newsletter at BodyEcology.com ... home of the world-renowned Body Ecology system of health and healing. The Body Ecology approach, founded by nutrition expert and visionary Donna Gates, has helped hundreds of thousands of people. It put probiotics on the map long before almost anyone had heard of it, and has been recognized by today's other leading natural health and holistic healers as both pioneers and the go-to source for REAL health and wellness information that improves lives. If you truly want to improve your health and energy levels, you owe it to yourself ... head to BodyEcology.com now.
Thursday, November 10th, 2011:
Making Thanksgiving Healthy: Is One Day of Overeating Really a Big Deal?
Many families see Thanksgiving as a time to consume more food and drink than the body can handle. Dietary principles, like food combining, often go out the door.
What happens when we eat too much? Many of us literally feel the effects of overindulgence:
- Congested sinuses
- Fatigue, sleepiness, or lethargy
- Grogginess or brain fog
- Stiff and sore joints
When we eat too much food, our digestive tracts can become overburdened. When this happens, oftentimes food doesn’t move quickly enough through the intestines, and it ferments.
Bacteria and other microorganisms feed on stagnant food and generate gases. When these gasses are trapped, we feel bloated. Or, these gases are released. Sometimes these same gases can even contribute to either bouts of constipation or diarrhea.
When we eat sweet and sugary foods, or when we eat too many carbohydrates and not enough non-starchy veggies, this can also contribute to digestive pain and swollen joints the next day.
Food toxins and allergens, parasites, bacterial overgrowth, and the daily stress of living can all take their toll on the digestive system. This is why one day of feasting can contribute to a long list of aches and pains.
While there are many wonderful treats during the holiday season, using Body Ecology principles while you still enjoy food will keep your digestive system healthy and your immune system strong!
- Practice 80/20.
- Practice proper food combining.
- Eat until you are 80% full. Then rest and digest.
- Make sure that 80% of your meal is non-starchy veggies and seaweeds, while the remaining 20% is an animal protein, Body Ecology grains, or starchy vegetables.
- When eating sweets, choose something naturally sweet, like berries, and eat these alone or with a glass of Body Ecology Innergy Biotic.
- Stock up on certain essentials, like digestive enzymes and fermented foods.
- Digestive enzymes, like Assist Full Spectrum or Assist Dairy & Protein, can keep food moving along if you find that you have eaten beyond your capacity to digest.
- Fermented foods that are filled with beneficial microbes will soothe the digestive tract.
- Want to celebrate sweetness without all that sugar? Use Stevia instead of sugar.
As you prepare for the holiday season, remember how blessed and rich your own life is.
Look around you and realize how much opportunity and greatness surrounds you and others. You may find that these simple moments of gratitude actually take away your desire to eat more than you can handle during family festivities.
Even the act of feasting, if done consciously, can deeply nourish the body rather than give you heartburn and gas.
What to Remember Most About This Article:
Believe it or not, Thanksgiving doesn't have to be all about overeating. It can be a time of family and togetherness to eat mindfully and focus on what you are truly thankful for.
When you overeat, you put a burden on your digestive system. If food doesn't move quickly enough through the intestines, it will ferment and feed pathogenic bacteria to cause gas, constipation, or even diarrhea. Overeating sugary foods and carbohydrates can cause digestive problems and contribute to swollen joints.
This holiday season, focus on the principles of Body Ecology to enjoy delicious food and protect your digestive health at the same time. Eat only until you are 80% full, and remember to eat 80% non-starchy vegetables and seaweeds at every meal. Having digestive enzymes and fermented foods on hand this Thanksgiving will help to soothe your digestion so that you can truly enjoy the time you spend with family and friends.
Learn more from The Body Ecology Diet book:
Home Testing & Sanitizer: