......to Second-Hand Reactions
A regular column by Gloria Gilbère N.D., D.A.Hom., Ph.D.
Gloria Gilbère is an internationally respected traditional naturopath, homeopath and doctor of natural health. Author of the bestselling books 'I was Poisoned by my Body' and 'Invisible Illnesses', she restored her own health after suffering from leaky gut syndrome, fibromyalgia, and multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS), and now successfully helps others do the same. She focuses on finding drug-free solutions to 'invisible illnesses' such as these which she refers to as Multiple Allergic Response Syndromes (MARS).
You can now benefit from Gloria's wisdom and experience by visiting us at The Environmental Illness Resource regularly to read her latest column!
Monday, August 13th 2007:
Anatomy of the Immune System: Your Personal Defense
by Gloria Gilbère, N.D., D.A.Hom., PhD.
As a consulting doctor specializing in disorders of the immune system, Im asked daily, exactly what is the immune system?
According to Merriam-Websters Collegiate®Dictionary, the immune system protects the body from foreign substances, cells and tissues by producing an immune response, specifically within the thymus, spleen, lymph nodes, and special lymphoid tissue as in the gastrointestinal tract and bone marrow.
The human immune system is like having an entire military force ready to recognize invaders and then proceed to issue orders of attack to destroy the enemy in order to preserve health. The immune system basically has three assignments:
- Identify alien substances such as bacteria, viruses, parasites and chemical toxins.
- Develop a strategy to destroy each specific type of invader; one plan of action is not effective against all type of invaders.
- Maintain a built-in memory to recall the specific type of invader next time it presents a threat.
The Communication System
Additionally, the immune system is an internal communication system; comprised of a network of integrated cells to protect its host, YOU. When a loose connection exists, messages sent to the armys central command center are mis-interpreted in other words, it loses the ability to differentiate between the host (you) and pathogenic invaders, and it begins to destroy healthy cells and tissues as evident in autoimmune disorders.
The major causes of immune system miscommunication include:
- Lack of healthy, organic food to nourish immune functions and provide protection;
- Lack of the correct balance of fats, carbohydrates and proteins;
- Being subjected to excess, prolonged stress physical, emotional and psychological, eventually manifesting as a stressed immune response unable to provide maximum protection. Its likened to depleting the armys ammunition little by little, and then when its needed to fight a battle of invasive forces little, if any, remains to be used for defense;
- Intestinal toxicity exceeds the livers ability to neutralize causing autointoxication, toxemia, leaky gut syndrome, and immune system disorders;
- Consumption of excessive prescription and over-the-counter medications, specifically antibiotics, which attack and destroy all the intestinal bacteria health-enhancing as well as health-depleting. This leaves us vulnerable when an invasion occurs, specifically to infections like Candida yeast.
- Exposure to environmental chemicals, including but not limited to, pesticides, insecticides, cleaning and personal care products, petrochemicals, mold, synthetic fragrances etc.
Scientists now verify what weve suspected for years; the gut houses over 75% of our immune system. That said, doesnt it make sense to make sure your gut is healthy by maintaining good colon health and hygiene, adequate health-enhancing bacteria, and a diet as free of chemicals as possible, naturally.
Gloria Gilbère, N.D., D.A.Hom., Ph.D., is internationally respected as an authoritative influence in the discovery of the causes, effects and drug-free solutions for fibromyalgia, inflammatory and chemically induced immune system disorders, and renowned for her wholistic skin and body rejuvenation (WSBR®) programs. She is author of 9 books, among them I Was Poisoned by My Body, Invisible Illnesses, Pain / Inflammation Matters, Colon Cleansing Matters, and the WSBR Program. She is host of Your Health Matters, a web-based talk show heard weekly on www.healthylife.net. To contact her office and schedule a consultation, by phone, video cam, or in Sandpoint, Idaho, call (208) 255-5252 or visit her website at www.gloriagilbere.com
Book Giveaway Winners!
**To celebrate the publication of her new column on The Environmental Illness Resource, Gloria offered a signed copy of each of her books listed below to 3 lucky readers. We're pleased to announce those winners here:
C. Powell, Virginia (USA)
V. Boque, Puerto Rico
M. R. Rodriguez, (USA)
You should be receiving your books any time now if you haven't already!
Learn more from Gloria's books:
I Was Poisoned By My Body, The Odyssey of a Doctor Who Reversed Fibromyalgia, Leaky Gut Syndrome, and Multiple Chemical Sensitivity - Naturally!
» Buy Now
» Buy Now
Pain/Inflammation Matters: Recipes for Life
» Buy Now
The information provided is not to be construed as medical advice, diagnosis, treatment or cures for any condition, disease or disorder. It is presented as educational and investigative material and the consumer assumes full-responsibility for using any product, procedure, protocol or therapy.
Gloria E. Gilbère, LLC, and its representatives, does not warrant and shall have no liability for information provided in this newsletter or on this website, intended or implied. Consult your health care professional for medical-related conditions or concerns.
Home Testing & Sanitizer: