......to Second-Hand Reactions
A regular column by Gloria Gilbère N.D., D.A.Hom., Ph.D.
Gloria Gilbère is an internationally respected traditional naturopath, homeopath and doctor of natural health. Author of the bestselling books 'I was Poisoned by my Body' and 'Invisible Illnesses', she restored her own health after suffering from leaky gut syndrome, fibromyalgia, and multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS), and now successfully helps others do the same. She focuses on finding drug-free solutions to 'invisible illnesses' such as these which she refers to as Multiple Allergic Response Syndromes (MARS).
You can now benefit from Gloria's wisdom and experience by visiting us at The Environmental Illness Resource regularly to read her latest column!
Friday, May 16th, 2008:
Casualties of Progress Highly toxic, disease-promoting ingredients that are legal in our food supply
by Gloria Gilbère, N.D., D.A.Hom., PhD., Wholistic Rejuvenist
Did you know we intake over 150 chemicals, carcinogens and toxins each day? Chemicals invade every aspect of our modern lifestyles from well-known toxins to newer compounds with unknown long-term effects. They build in our bodies and store within the soft and connective tissues, fat cells, and organs of detoxification; kidneys, liver, and lymphatic system.
Did you know over 95% of shoppers purchase food with ingredients known to cause cancer?
Examples of toxic ingredients consumed daily by consumers:
FACT Lead was banned in the U.S. decades ago because of its high toxicity.
REALITY Candy manufactured by American companies in Mexico (and other countries), such as a division of the Mars candy company, was legally sold on grocery shelves although known to contain high lead levels. Mexican candies, such as Lucas Limon, Super Lucas, Lucas Acidito, and Lucas Limon Con Chile were found to contain high levels of lead yet its complete list of ingredients were legally hidden under spice on the list of contents.
According to the Orange County Register, the company voluntarily agreed to pull the candies off U.S. shelves three years ago after an investigative report and test results were published. According to a May 12, 2007 report by a special investigation of Toxic Treats, Tainted Mexican treats still turn up at California distributors despite promises by manufacturers.
Chilies from Mexico are equally contaminated with lead often ground without cleaning. Bags of chilies in the U.S. have been found to contain lead-containing dirt, rocks, nails, and even car battery parts.
Source: Orange County Register, Jenifer B. McKim Candies still for sale after voluntary recall
OC Register, Jenifer B. McKim, Lead candy lingers, May 12, 2007
Consequences Toxic ingredients like lead are called metabolic disruptors. They promote diseases like cancer, diabetes, heart disease, Alzheimers and neurological disorders. They interfere with normal, healthy, human metabolism, and in doing so, suppress the bodys ability to fight disease and heal itself promoting chronic diseases and disorders. These disruptors include, but are not limited to:
- Sodium nitrite, hydrogenated oils, homogenized milk-fats, aspartame, MSG, artificial food colorings, and even innocent-sounding ingredients such as refined white sugar.
Source: Aug. 6. 04, Mike Adams, Natural News.com
FACT We are slowly being poisoned by one specific ingredient, deliberately added to our food supply Hydrogenated oils. The World Health Organization, unsuccessfully, tried to outlaw it decades ago.
Food manufacturers and government agencies, who are suppose to protect us, hijacked science and the public in a blatant attempt to get people to buy their high-profit products like margarine, shortening, snack crackers, and baked goods.
Consequences Hydrogenated oils are known to cause:
- Birth defects
- Heart disease
- ADHD, aggressive behavior, loss of memory, declined creativity, and brain cell damage
- Immune system dysfunction
- Impaired development of the brain of fetuses
- Liver disease
- Over 30,000 known deaths per year in the U.S.
- Blood clotting making blood stick, increasing risk of blood clots, atherosclerosis, and hypertension by damaging blood vessels
- Deficiencies of healthy oils and essential fatty acids (EFAs
- Cystic fibrosis
- Lower essential fatty acids in breast milk of nursing mothers
- Rises in serum cholesterol
- Periodontal (gum) disease and increased dental caries
- Reduced tissue oxygen levels
- Dandruff and many cases of acne other skin disorders
Additionally, it causes cell-by-cell failure within the body by destroying the porosity and flexibility of healthy cell membranes its like tearing your body down from the inside-out. If these oils were fed to animals, it would be considered animal cruelty, yet theyre allowed for human consumption.
Consuming just 2% trans-fat calories boosts your risk of diabetes by 39%...is it any wonder diabetes is now epidemic proportions?
FACT Many body-building and protein powders, even at health stores, contain an array of known toxic ingredients, such as aspartame, saccharin, fructose, artificial colors and other synthetic stabilizing and flavor-enhancing ingredients. Artificial sweeteners like aspartame should have been banned years ago.
Consequences Aspartame, a neurotoxin, stimulates brain neurons to death. When consumed, it breaks down into two chemical compounds within the body: formic acid and formaldehyde. Formic acid is an irritant the same chemical produced by fire ants, it doesnt belong in the blood. Formaldehyde is a preservative when ingested, causes widespread nerve damage to the optic nerve, brain cells, and nerve cells that control body movement. Thats why aspartame is linked to migraine headaches (nerves in the head swell), muscle tremors (Parkinsons), vision disturbances, muscle pain and weakness and mental confusion it is listed as an environmental toxin by the EPA. The same avoidance applies to sucralose, saccharin and any synthetic sugar substitutes. The ONLY sweeteners I recommend are those made from natural ingredients such as Stevia and SweetLife -- available at health food stores. I prefer the taste of SweetLife its more like sugar and approved by the American Diabetic Association. Its made from a root plant (LoHan) finely ground with a bit of natural fructose to keep it from clumping.
My research exposes the top three most dangerous food ingredients:
1) Sodium nitrite -- causes cancer. Found in processed meats; hot dogs, bacon, sausage, salami, and ham. Used to make meats appear red (a color-fixer chemical).
2) Hydrogenated oils -- causes heart disease, nutritional deficiencies, general deterioration of cellular health, and much more (see above). Found in cookies, crackers, margarine and many "manufactured" foods. Used to make oil stay in food and extend shelf life often called "plastic fat."
3) Excitotoxins -- aspartame, monosodium glutamate and others (see references). These neurotoxic chemical additives directly harm nerve cells, over-exciting them and causing cell death, according to Dr. Russell Blaylock. They're found in diet soda, canned soup, salad dressings, breakfast sausage and even manufactured vegetarian foods. They're used to add flavor to over-processed, boring foods that have had the life cooked out of them.
Did you know, for example, that:
- Feeding children non-organic commercial hot dogs increases their risk of brain cancer by 300%? *
- Strawberry yogurt, fruit punch and other red-looking grocery products are often colored with dead, ground-up cochineal beetles? The ingredient is called "carmine" made from insects and listed on the label of many favorite foods.
- Food companies now "hide" MSG in safe-sounding ingredients like yeast extract, hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP), autolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed protein, hydrolyzed plant protein, plant protein extract, sodium caseinate, calcium caseinate, yeast extract, textured vegetable protein (TVP), autolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed oat flour, corn oil, and torula yeast? Other additives/foods that frequently contain MSG include: malt extract, malt flavoring, bouillon, broth, stock, flavoring (s), natural flavor (s)/flavoring, natural beef or chicken flavoring, seasoning, and spices.
- Many Florida oranges are actually dipped in an artificial orange dye in order to make them more visually appealing? It's the same dye banned for use in foods because of cancer risk.
- Some Girl Scout cookies are still made with hydrogenated oils that contain trans fatty acids?
- Many so-called "healthy" or vegetarian foods contain the same offending ingredients as conventional groceries?
- Eating just one serving of processed meats each day increases your risk of pancreatic cancer by 67%?
- Just one artificial color additive can cause behavioral disorders in children? And that 80% of children diagnosed with ADHD can be outright cured in as quickly as two weeks by avoiding certain food ingredients and environmental toxins?
- Many guacamole dips don't contain avocado? Instead, they're made with hydrogenated soybean oil and artificial colors.
It's all quite shocking, yes, but this is vital information you need to know if you want to feed yourself -- and your family -- foods that actually promote health (nutrition-based medicine) instead of disease.
Remember, the longer the ingredient list, the less healthy the food. Read ingredients before buying foods. If you discover chemical names that you can't pronounce or are not specifically identified, don't buy it!
View the very BEST Environmental Illness Videos!
Dr. Gloria Gilbère is a traditional naturopath, homeopath, doctor of natural health, a Wholistic Skin and Body Rejuvenist and creator of a certificated course by the same name that is taught all over the world. She is internationally respected as an authoritative influence in the causes, effects and drug-free solutions for Leaky Gut Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue and Chemically Induced Immune System Disorders.
She is author of 9 books including: I was Poisoned by My Body, Invisible Illnesses , "Nature's Prescription Milk: Discovering the Healing Powers of Goat-Milk Products and Pain / Inflammation MATTERS
For details regarding:
- Personalized consulting via telephone worldwide or at her office in Sandpoint, Idaho, USA;
- Health education travel programs and lectures;
- Certificated Wholistic Rejuvenation (WSBR) classes for skin, spa, and health care professionals;
- To purchase products used and recommended by Dr. Gilbère, her books, a list of her speaking and educational forums, and an archive of her articles, visit her website at www.gloriagilbere.com.
Learn more from Gloria's books:
I Was Poisoned By My Body, The Odyssey of a Doctor Who Reversed Fibromyalgia, Leaky Gut Syndrome, and Multiple Chemical Sensitivity - Naturally!
» Buy Now
» Buy Now
Pain/Inflammation Matters: Recipes for Life
» Buy Now
The information provided is not to be construed as medical advice, diagnosis, treatment or cures for any condition, disease or disorder. It is presented as educational and investigative material and the consumer assumes full-responsibility for using any product, procedure, protocol or therapy.
Gloria E. Gilbère, LLC, and its representatives, does not warrant and shall have no liability for information provided in this newsletter or on this website, intended or implied. Consult your health care professional for medical-related conditions or concerns.
Please Help Support EiR with a Positive Google Review!
If you like EiR and / or enoyed this content; please help us keep going by leaving a Positive Google Review:
Review EiR on Google NOW!
P.S. This is entirely secure, we collect no data other than what is freely available from Google and you can remain anonymous!
Mold Testing & Sanitizer: