......to Second-Hand Reactions
A regular column by Gloria Gilbère N.D., D.A.Hom., Ph.D.
Gloria Gilbère is an internationally respected traditional naturopath, homeopath and doctor of natural health. Author of the bestselling books 'I was Poisoned by my Body' and 'Invisible Illnesses', she restored her own health after suffering from leaky gut syndrome, fibromyalgia, and multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS), and now successfully helps others do the same. She focuses on finding drug-free solutions to 'invisible illnesses' such as these which she refers to as Multiple Allergic Response Syndromes (MARS).
You can now benefit from Gloria's wisdom and experience by visiting us at The Environmental Illness Resource regularly to read her latest column!
Monday, December 31st, 2007:
Chronic Inflammation: A disease of modern man?
by Gloria Gilbère, N.D., D.A.Hom., PhD., Wholistic Rejuvenist
Medical science is rocking the world with their findings that chronic inflammation is responsible for disorders such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, Alzheimers, rheumatoid and osteoarthritis, multiple sclerosis, myalgic encephalomelitis, chronic fatigue, Crohns, multiple allergies and many more.
Unfortunately, as with most chronic disorders, their causes generally remain a medical obscurity. Most importantly, inflammatory disorders have surfaced in recent research as a result of modern lifestyles with nutrition and environmental factors as major contributors.
Pulling the TriggerChronic inflammation is natures way of communicating that something is wrong within the body. Once the inflammation trigger is pulled (injury, trauma etc.) white blood cells (macrophages) infiltrate the area where the body was assaulted. Macrophages produce pro-inflammatory cytokines that are chemical messengers whose job is to attack and sweep-up cells in the affected area.
If this condition continues sending signals to destroy more and more cells, it can eventually lead to other disorders and even organ damage.
Invisible WoundsDrugs designed to combat inflammation are the industrys top sellers. First, the consumer was told aspirin was a cure-all. Second, a new classification of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) were introduced that included ibuprofen and naproxen, to name a few. All these drugs, other than aspirin, work by blocking the action of cyclooxygenase (COX) enzymes that initiate and escalate inflammatory responses. Some of the newer NSAIDs claim to lower the risk of gastrointestinal damage leading to disorders like leaky gut syndrome. However, in doing so, increase the risk of cardiovascular disorders, surpassing any benefit.
Non-drug options are available that benefit most inflammatory conditions, specifically chronic disorders, especially when combined with an anti-inflammatory life-style as outlined below.
Anti-inflammatory Rules to Live by
1. Stay away from junk food (processed or preserved). Eat plenty of raw vegetables when possible.2. Get plenty of restful, restorative sleep. If sleep is an issue, find non-drug alternatives.3. Avoid foods in the nightshade family as they are known to accelerate inflammatory responses: tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, eggplant, tomatillo, paprika, pimento, okra, blueberries/huckleberries.4. Consume foods high in Omega-3s: walnuts, flaxseeds ground fresh daily, almonds and pecans.5. Use full-spectrum oil blends for salad dressings that contain Omega-3-6-9.6. Use coconut, olive, grape seed or macadamia oil* for cooking.7. Include herbs in your diet high in antioxidants such as oregano and rosemary.8. Include herbs in your diet known for their anti-inflammatory properties such as ginger and turmeric.9. Consume deep water wild salmon at least three times per week (or other deep water fish such as halibut or cod, preferably from Alaska).10. Make sure all your poultry is free-range and free of antibiotics and growth hormones.11. Limit or eliminate red meat consumption. If consumed, be sure its grass-fed, antibiotic and hormone-free and eat small portions.12. Consume low-fat dairy, preferably from grass-fed goats or sheep.
Anti-inflammatory Nutrients to Live by
1. Support bone, joint and cartilage by consuming a supplement that includes pre-digested greens and food-based glucosamine and chondroitin
2. Be certain your nutritional supplement includes a broad-spectrum of enzymes (protease, bromelain, papain, amylase, lipase, cellulase) to support against inflammation
3. Nutrient supplementation should include anti-inflammatory botanicals such as acerola cherry, valerian, lemon powder, white willow bark (natural aspirin)4. Minerals are imperative for all bodily functions, including prevention against inflammation. Any supplementation should include minerals that are easily assimilated by the body. Especially calcium needs to be from a source that maintains chemical balance within the body to keep it in solution and prevent it from depositing in joints causing inflammation and pain.
Pain and inflammation are complex issues mainly life-style disorders.
Having personally recovered from side-effects of NSAIDs that included developing leaky gut and multiple allergic responses, I know only too well the dangerous consequences.
Look out and seek natural support for pain and inflammation because after all is said and done, its quality of life that matters, naturally.
Dr. Gloria Gilbère is a traditional naturopath, homeopath, doctor of natural health, a Wholistic Skin and Body Rejuvenist and creator of a certificated course by the same name that is taught all over the world. She is internationally respected as an authoritative influence in the causes, effects and drug-free solutions for Leaky Gut Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue and Chemically Induced Immune System Disorders.
She is author of 9 books including: I was Poisoned by My Body, Invisible Illnesses , "Nature's Prescription Milk: Discovering the Healing Powers of Goat-Milk Products and Pain / Inflammation MATTERS
For details regarding:
- Personalized consulting via telephone worldwide or at her office in Sandpoint, Idaho, USA;
- Health education travel programs and lectures;
- Certificated Wholistic Rejuvenation (WSBR) classes for skin, spa, and health care professionals;
- To purchase products used and recommended by Dr. Gilbère, her books, a list of her speaking and educational forums, and an archive of her articles, visit her website at www.gloriagilbere.com.
Learn more from Gloria's books:
I Was Poisoned By My Body, The Odyssey of a Doctor Who Reversed Fibromyalgia, Leaky Gut Syndrome, and Multiple Chemical Sensitivity - Naturally!
» Buy Now
» Buy Now
Pain/Inflammation Matters: Recipes for Life
» Buy Now
The information provided is not to be construed as medical advice, diagnosis, treatment or cures for any condition, disease or disorder. It is presented as educational and investigative material and the consumer assumes full-responsibility for using any product, procedure, protocol or therapy.
Gloria E. Gilbère, LLC, and its representatives, does not warrant and shall have no liability for information provided in this newsletter or on this website, intended or implied. Consult your health care professional for medical-related conditions or concerns.
Mold Testing & Sanitizer: