......to Second-Hand Reactions
A regular column by Gloria Gilbère N.D., D.A.Hom., Ph.D.
Gloria Gilbère is an internationally respected traditional naturopath, homeopath and doctor of natural health. Author of the bestselling books 'I was Poisoned by my Body' and 'Invisible Illnesses', she restored her own health after suffering from leaky gut syndrome, fibromyalgia, and multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS), and now successfully helps others do the same. She focuses on finding drug-free solutions to 'invisible illnesses' such as these which she refers to as Multiple Allergic Response Syndromes (MARS).
You can now benefit from Gloria's wisdom and experience by visiting us at The Environmental Illness Resource regularly to read her latest column!
Monday, October 8th, 2007:
Healthy Mother + Healthy Nursery = Healthy Baby (Part 1 of 2)
by Gloria Gilbère, N.D., D.A.Hom., PhD., Wholistic Rejuvenist
Frequently Im asked about what a pregnant mother should avoid and non-toxic steps to prepare a healthy nursery. Its disheartening that many expectant mothers are not aware of the dangers of environmental toxins to which they and their fetus are exposed.
The following precautions are imperative for the expecting mother, developing fetus, and for maintaining overall health:
Avoid foods that are highest in chemical calories, meaning pesticides and insecticides are used most often, making them the most contaminated in descending order:
Regular butter, cheeses and yoghurt
Salmon (not deep cold-water fish like those from Alaskan waters)
Spinach (fresh or frozen)
Strawberries (fresh or frozen)
Apples and pears
Green and red peppers
Processed cheeses and meats, especially from the U.S.
Note: Keep in mind that chemicals are stored within fat cells. Therefore, when you eat meat, be sure its lean and avoid consuming the fat portion.
Healthy Option: Buy organic vegetables and wash thoroughly in a vegetable wash or 2 TB. hydrogen peroxide per gallon of water. Purchase animal products raised without growth hormones and antibiotics and fed feed without pesticides or insecticides.
Nutritional Supplements and Medications
Avoid antibiotics unless absolutely necessary; they destroy all bacteria health-enhancing and health-depleting. Healthy Option: When antibiotics are medically necessary, consume a professional-grade probiotic to reintroduce health-enhancing bacteria into the gut. There is one brand of probiotic made in France that has been clinically proven to survive while taking antibiotics. It does not require refrigeration and is also great for travel. After you complete antibiotic therapy, the recommended bacterial count is 50-60 billion organisms daily for 4 times as long as the course of antibiotics. Example: 7-day course, 28 days of probiotics. Over-use of antibiotics causes excessive growth of Candida yeast, a weakened immune response and reoccurring infections that can be transmitted to the fetus. A professional-grade probiotic is as simple as taking one capsule daily on an empty stomach and keeping the product refrigerated.
- Avoid paint that contains volatile organic compounds (VOCs). The fresh paint smell comes from the toxic chemicals contained within; mercury, mercury compounds, pigments of lead, cadmium, chromium and related oxides. All paint continues to volatize in the form of dry paint microflakes for many years after the painting is completed. Healthy Option: Low- and no-VOC paints reduce the dangerous micro flakes since they are manufactured without the toxic chemicals mentioned above. Low- or no-VOC paint reduces emissions, improves indoor air quality, urban smog, respiratory disorders/infections and allergies in general because they dont compromise immune responses. Most paint stores carry these safer paints, varnishes and stain; ask for them.
- Avoid synthetic carpeting because its contents are toxic; dyes, scotch-guarding and flame-retardant chemicals. Healthy Option: Install hard-surface flooring (wood, tile, stone, concrete etc.). Carpet allows dust and pollutants to collect, no matter how effective your vacuum-cleaner. Be sure if you use wood that its either pre-finished or you use low- or no-VOC stains and varnishes.
- Avoid all synthetic fragrances (perfumes, body lotions, shower gels, air fresheners, shampoos, and cleaning products, etc.) because they are mostly made from ingredients known to be toxic. The National Academy of Sciences targeted fragrances as one of the six categories of chemicals when testing for neurotoxicity. Their report states that 95% of chemicals used in fragrances are synthetic compounds derived from petrochemicals that include benzene derivatives, aldehydes, and other known toxics and sensitizers capable of causing cancer, birth defects, central nervous system disorders and allergic reactions. No government agency regulates the fragrance industry its contents are hidden under trade secrets. Healthy Option: Use organic essential oils, just a drop or two on your palms or behind your ears is sufficient. For use as air freshener, use 10-20 drops of essential oil in 4 oz. of distilled water in a spray bottle. Lavender is a natural antibacterial so its effective and pleasant in the nursery and bathrooms. Essential oil of citrus (lime or lemon) is also a favorite for nurseries, and kitchens.
- Avoid synthetic fabric softeners; they contain toxic fragrances and petrochemicals. Imagine how youre compromising the health of your child when the clothing and bedding contain these chemicals. Healthy Option: Many healthy fabric softeners are widely available. You can also put ½ cup baking soda dissolved in hot water into your washers rinse cycle; it freshens and softens the clothes naturally. There are also dryer balls available that you toss into your dryer to soften the clothes and last for hundreds of dryer loads. If bleach or whitening agent is needed, be sure to purchase one that is fragrance-free, free of toxic chemicals and is biodegradable if its safe for you, its safe for our environment.
- Odor removing is a challenging undertaking. Avoid using toxic synthetic cleaners and carpet sprays by sourcing safe alternatives.
PVC/Plastic set items in the sun (shower curtains, plastic toys, crib bumpers, mobiles, etc.) to accelerate off-gassing the chemicals. Infant/childrens items wash weekly with ¼ cup unscented soap flakes to 1 gal. hot water, dry in the sun.
Fabric chemical odors soak overnight in 1 cup baking soda and wash as usual.
Perfume soak with distilled vinegar, let set overnight and launder or spray with vinegar and allow to dissipate.
Biological Odors (pet urine, vomit etc.) contain alkaline and acidic components that can be neutralized by alternating baking soda and vinegar. Place white distilled vinegar in a spray bottle and spray straight onto the odor; let set for 1-2 hrs. and rinse. Follow by sprinkling the area with baking soda and misting with water. Let set overnight then vacuum. Keep alternating until odor is gone.
Dr. Gloria Gilbère is a traditional naturopath, homeopath, doctor of natural health, a Wholistic Skin and Body Rejuvenist and creator of a certificated course by the same name that is taught all over the world. She is internationally respected as an authoritative influence in the causes, effects and drug-free solutions for Leaky Gut Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue and Chemically Induced Immune System Disorders.
She is author of 9 books including: I was Poisoned by My Body, Invisible Illnesses , "Nature's Prescription Milk: Discovering the Healing Powers of Goat-Milk Products and Pain / Inflammation MATTERS
For details regarding:
- Personalized consulting via telephone worldwide or at her office in Sandpoint, Idaho, USA;
- Health education travel programs and lectures;
- Certificated Wholistic Rejuvenation (WSBR) classes for skin, spa, and health care professionals;
- To purchase products used and recommended by Dr. Gilbère, her books, a list of her speaking and educational forums, and an archive of her articles, visit her website at www.gloriagilbere.com.
Learn more from Gloria's books:
I Was Poisoned By My Body, The Odyssey of a Doctor Who Reversed Fibromyalgia, Leaky Gut Syndrome, and Multiple Chemical Sensitivity - Naturally!
» Buy Now
» Buy Now
Pain/Inflammation Matters: Recipes for Life
» Buy Now
The information provided is not to be construed as medical advice, diagnosis, treatment or cures for any condition, disease or disorder. It is presented as educational and investigative material and the consumer assumes full-responsibility for using any product, procedure, protocol or therapy.
Gloria E. Gilbère, LLC, and its representatives, does not warrant and shall have no liability for information provided in this newsletter or on this website, intended or implied. Consult your health care professional for medical-related conditions or concerns.
Home Testing & Sanitizer: