Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Benefits & Poss Viral Connection

Benefits & Poss Viral Connection 10 years 1 week ago #1

• Abi75
  • EiR Newbie
Hi all, I just wondered if I could ask a couple of questions. Firstly, what's the score with benefits? I've recently had to give up work (was contracting so no sick pay) and have just handed in my claim form to the jobcentre. however, am I only entitled to the 64 quid a week or am I entitled to income support as well? Also, how does it work with housing? I'm currently living/staying with my parents but I don't want to be here forever but I also don't think I'm going to be working for some time to come yet. Do I find a place and then apply for housing bens or can I say I want to be covered and they tell me where I can live?! As you can probably tell, I'm a benefits virgin so would really appreciate some advice!!

Also, been reading a fair bit about there being an underlying viral infection with CFS/ME. Although I suffer from Adrenal Fatigue, I think there's a lot of truth in that. I first got diagnosed in New Zealand at the beginning of this year. My naturopath did a hemaview on me (looked at my blood under a microspcope) and told me I had really elevated white blood cells (a sign of viral or bacterial infection, I believe?). Anyway, I responded really well to Dr Wilson's protocol and she looked at my blood 3 months later and was amazed to find no change in the level of white blood cells. I'm pretty sure that most of my AF problems stemmed from a really bad virus I had back in 2000.

What are peoples' views on the underlying viral infection argument? I think Dr Wilson touches on it in his book...

Abi
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Benefits & Poss Viral Connection 10 years 1 week ago #2

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
Hi Abi,

Good to have you with us :)

I can't claim to be a benefits expert by any strecth of the imagination but I can tell you my experience. I first applied for benefits 11 years ago aged 19 and was originally rejected. At this point I visited the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) and they quickly got my claim approved. I ended up on Income Support with a disability component which added up to a total of about £85 by the time I came off benefits in March 2008. I would definitely advise you to visit your local CAB office if you have problems...it will save you a lot of stress! To maintain my Income Support I had to go for medicals every 18 months.

You can also try applying for other benefits such as Disability Living Allowance or Incapacity Benefit but I never had any luck with those despite having diagnoses of ME/CFS, depression and multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS) and being confined to my home!

In terms of Housing Benefit I applied for council housing and got a housing association flat within 3 months based on being ill. I am pretty sure I applied for housing benefits after moving in and the council made a back payment to the housing association for all outstanding rent. I had 100% of my rent paid which reached £325pm by the time I came off it. If you rent privately I'm not sure how it works. I think the would pay the equivalent to a council/housing association property and you'd have to make up the rest.

Visit the benefits page on the direct.gov.uk website for more information (if you can make sense of it!)

Viruses are certainly implicated in ME/CFS. You can't have failed to see the news about the XMRV retrovirus being found in the majority of ME/CFS patients in a recent study. This is only the third human retrovirus found. The others are HIV and another which is associated with a particular form of leukaemia. It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation with viruses and ME/CFS as XMRV, Epstein-Barr, herpes viruses and others are commonly found in patients but so are other infections, particularly gut infections with yeast and bacteria. Many people develop ME/CFS after a virus (including me) but is it the virus that causes the disease or an underlying immune dysfunction? This remains to be answered.

In terms of adrenal fatigue anything that acts as a stressor to the body can theoretically cause it. These stressors can be chronic illness, infections, chemical exposures, physical trauma, nutritional deficiency or chronic psychological stress etc.

Hope some of this helps!

Post edited by: Maff, at: 2009/12/01 15:39<br /><br />Post edited by: Maff, at: 2009/12/01 15:40
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re:Benefits &amp; Poss Viral Connection 10 years 8 hours ago #3

• Abi75
  • EiR Newbie
Hi Maff,

Thanks for the advice. May have done my benefits a bit back to front. I've applied for incapacity (or the revised equivalent) so we'll see what they make of that. Should I have gone for income support first? I can see it's going to be a painful process because I own a flat with my ex that is rented out. Thing is - we make zilch profit on it but of course, they haven't actually asked that question on the 2 forms I've already had to fill in!!!

And interesting comments on the virus situation. I pretty much know the adrenal fatigue angle inside out now but have just started to read up on the ME/CFS angle so I was just curious to hear people's views on it. Apparently, some sufferers have improved with Valcyte..? But I guess it's like all of these things: what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. And also, in the States you get tested til Kingdom come but over here, you usually just get waved away by the nhs...

Re:Benefits &amp; Poss Viral Connection 9 years 11 months ago #4

• konnor
  • EiR Senior
It can get confusing when trying to think about the cause sometimes.

Only a detailed look at your case history will reveal where the causes might be. Asking questions like...

- Where you under a significant amount of dietary and/or psycological stress prior to becomming ill?
- Was there one particular event which event which brought on all the symptoms?
- When ill, did you experience a gradual decline and increasing number of symptoms? Or has your health been consistent since you became sick.
- Can you point to any significant early symptoms that are still prominant to this day? Could these be viral related in nature?

My first 2 symptoms were hypoglycemia and post nasal drip. I have been under significant dietary and psycological stress growing up as well as some antibiotic use. This puts me in both the adrenal fatigue and candida camps. I appear to check more boxes for adrenal fatigue

The majority of approaches I imagine will benefit from some form of adrenal support. Inflammitory reactions are common with weak adrenals causing a whole host of symptoms.

Ultimately we can only do the best we can when health is in our own hands. We need to be our own little private detective.

You mentioned you saw some positive results from Dr Wilson's protocol. Is this something you are able to continue or have you reached a plateau?

Re:Benefits &amp; Poss Viral Connection 9 years 11 months ago #5

• Abi75
  • EiR Newbie
Hey Matt,

It's interesting what you say. It's not until you really sit and think about things that the jigsaw puzzle pieces fall into place. And usually, you realise it was accumulative with maybe one major trigger that tips the scales.

Think I was always prone to AF but was so blinkered by the decline of my gut last year while I was travelling (4 courses of antibiotics plus nearly 6 months of anti-malarial), I didn't put together that some symptoms started before that when I was put on the pill a couple of months before going away. Interestinly, I read recently that the combined pill can exacerbate low blood sugar..

But, like you, had quite a bit of antibiotics as a teenager (bad skin) and every tiny thing adds up. Essentially, I think a virus I had 9 years ago weakened my immune system, then working 12 hr intense days for 8 years stitched me up. When my brother died 3 years ago, I think that was the (large) straw that broke the camel's back. Bereavement and 12hr days do not mix! I never really rebounded like I'd just managed to before that. Probably, when I gave up my job to go travelling, my body was thinking, 'great! Time for a rest!' but instead got shunted into really high altitude surroundings (God, that makes you sick), a gruelling itinerary & contaminated food.

But I think you were too hard on yourself about your previous diet. Loads of people go through the WHOLE of their lives, not just their first 20 years, eating really crappy, processed food and don't end up with the problems you've had. I think it's a mixture of genes, environment and our life experiences. I do wonder whether those who tend to internalise a lot of stuff are potentially at more risk...don't know.

As for Dr Wilson's, I actually received my order of the Adrenal Rebuilder from the states and have been taking it for just over a week now. For some reason, I'm responding differently. Don't know if that's because I'm taking them in isolation and not with the rest of the protocol (herbal tincture etc) but I suspect it's because my AF is worse than it was when I took it before. This time, I'm getting really anxious/panicky in the mornings and I'm pretty wired in the night. As Lam says, it's prob stimulating me so have cut back to 1 tablet a day and am playing around with the best time to take it.

Have you gone back on your glandulars? Also, one thing I remember my NZ practitioner giving me was calendula tea. That was when my guts were really bad but it's supposed to help with GI issues and is an anti-fungal as well. She said to drink it about half and hour before you eat. Just a thought..

Related Articles:

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds