Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What is wrong with me?

What is wrong with me? 9 years 1 month ago #1

• DH59
  • EiR Newbie
Hi there,

I have visited this site for information many times in the past, but now feel the need to find out more about my situation and wondered if anyone can help.

About four years ago I became very stressed due to personal circumstances and fell into a cycle of ill health. Among other things I experienced symptoms of IBS, depression, menopause, weight loss through loss of appetite, insomnia, and lethargy. Tests at my doctors all came back normal, except for confirmation that I was menopausal. I did use HRT for a very short time, but I was worried about this due to my sister having had breast cancer some years ago, so I stopped it. I went to see a nutritionist and had saliva tests done. These did show some adrenal insufficiency and for a while I took some adrenal supplements that she prescribed.

I am currently taking some DIM for menopausal symptoms, which seems to be helping (still have minor hot flushes a few times a day), and a few other supplements (fish oil, agnus castus, vit c and probiotics), but I have lately been going in a downward spiral again. Unfortunately, I was made redundant from my job last December so I can no longer afford the luxury of visiting a nutritionist again.

The problems could have been brought on by stress due to losing my job, but I am thinking maybe my adrenals are suffering again due to this stress and I am wondering whether I should just self-prescribe some adrenal supplements. I am constantly tired, even after a reasonable night's sleep, have no get-up-and-go, can't be bothered with certain things and have to push myself to do anything at all. All I feel like doing is curling up on the sofa reading or watching tv.

I can get to sleep OK, but usually wake up in the early hours, mainly for the loo, but then sometimes I have problems getting back to sleep. If I do any physical activity I am whacked. I did an online quiz and the result was that my adrenals were severely depleted. I don't really know which way to turn.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Diane
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:What is wrong with me? 9 years 1 month ago #2

• david
  • EiR Junior
Hi there

A good starting point for you now may be Dr Myhill's website which has so much information on adrenal fatigue and also many other issues linked to it. Also she does testing which may be more specific than that you have already carried out eg adrenal stress profile. I hope this helps you, stay strong :-)

www.drmyhill.co.uk

Re:What is wrong with me? 9 years 1 month ago #3

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
Hi Diane,

Great to hear you have been a regular visitor to the site. I hope it has at least pointed you in the right direction :)

It does indeed sound like overworked adrenals are a major contributor to your current poor health. Inability to tolerate stress and exercise without feeling dreadful are generally considered telltale signs and the hormonal upheaval present during menopause will certainly not make you feel any better!

Have you used, or considered using, phytoestrogens such as soy isoflavones as an alternative to synthetic HRT? These are plant-derived estrogens that are less potent than those the body produces but which act in a similar fashion. There is a fair bit of evidence that they can help some women obtain relief from the signs of menopause.

In terms of adrenal fatigue I have found that herbs known as 'adaptogens' can be helpful. In my case panax/korean ginseng and licorice have been particularly effective but there are many others that may be helpful. It might be well worth doing some research on adaptogens.

I have found the most effective thing of all for adrenal fatigue and the symptoms you describe to be DHEA supplements. However, I would strongly recommend you don't take this unless under the supervision of a doctor as like other hormones it is very potent and has a high potential for side-effects.

All the best,

Maff
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re:What is wrong with me? 8 years 3 months ago #4

• DH59
  • EiR Newbie
Well, it's been a while since I visited the forum - how time flies, not that I've been enjoying anything in particular!

I've gone round in circles researching various possibilities, but lack of funds (and motivation) has been a factor in me not getting much further. I did start the adrenal supplements again, and I have felt marginally better - not as many depressive episodes and I am able to sleep a bit better being two benefits. So I know that is an essential purchase, along with the DIM. That is all I can afford at the moment.

I still have no job, but I am in the process of trying to get a photography business up and running, but again this has been a struggle because of all the other factors, which are all contributing to a lack of confidence in my abilities.

A new issue is that I seem to be getting a lot more headaches. I did have some food allergy tests done many years ago and I do have a sensitivity to certain things - chocolate, white flour, and citrus being the main ones. Therefore I don't have very much of these items. But I am finding that I can wake up with a pounding head having had none of the foodstuffs that I am supposed to be sensitive to. I try to look at what I've eaten the previous day and nothing makes sense. We eat a mainly wholesome diet, with home-grown veg and very little processed foods and red meat.

Strangely, I've noticed that I don't suffer with many of these issues when I am on holiday, being able to eat bread and drink a moderate amount of alcohol, for example, without any ill effects. I am beginning to wonder whether our house has some hidden 'dangers' that we are unaware of. It was a new-build when we moved into it five years ago, so it shouldn't really have mould or other issues associated with older buildings. Could it be sick building syndrome? My husband, who is asthmatic, is also getting a lot of headaches lately - something he has never suffered from in the past, at least not to this degree.

Related Articles:

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds