Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: relora

relora 8 years 11 months ago #1

• debg
  • EiR Newbie
Hi,

Does anyone know whether Relora and Cortef contradict each other?

I am taking 500mg of Relora daily, but also 20mg Cortef for adrenal insufficiency under Dr Peatfield.

I have lost 2 stones with the Relora so dont really want to stop and put it all back on, but can't help but wonder if it is cancelling out any beneficial benefits from the Cortef- Dr P couldn't answer as he's never heard of Relora!!

Any views?

Thanks
Debbie
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: relora 8 years 11 months ago #2

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
Hi Debbie,

This is a good question but one which is quite difficult to answer as only a few studies have been conducted on Relora so far.

Most of the promotional material for Relora claims it lowers cortisol while significantly raising DHEA and that this will correct the typical imbalance seen in chronic stress and mood disorders. The studies I have found suggest Relora is effective at treating anxiety and other stress-related conditions but may have other mechanisms of action besides effects on cortisol. Take a look at this study. It found that women taking 250mg of Relora, 3 times per day, for 6 weeks showed no significant changes in their cortisol levels...but did have significant improvements in symptoms of anxiety:-

Effect of a proprietary Magnolia and Phellodendron extract on stress levels in healthy women: a pilot, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial

The researchers do say that a longer study may have seen cortisol levels lowered to a greater extent. Perhaps you should show this paper to Dr. Peatfield and see what he thinks ;)
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill
Last Edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Maff.

Re: relora 8 years 11 months ago #3

• debg
  • EiR Newbie
Dear Maff,

Thank you, I've printed him off a copy- I must admit at the moment, I'm taking so much that it is difficult to know what is working and what is not!!

Thanks

Re: relora 8 years 11 months ago #4

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
No problem Deb :)

I know how you feel. It is very easy to be taking so many different supplements and or medications that you don't know what is helping and what isn't (or might even be causing adverse effects).

I always try to introduce one thing at a time myself...but it certainly requires the patience of a saint when you are desperate to feel better!

Let us know what Dr. Peatfield's verdict is after he's seen that study ;)
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Related Articles:

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds