Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Phosphatidylserine for high evening cortisol

Re: Phosphatidylserine for high evening cortisol 7 years 10 months ago #13

• True
  • EiR Junior
  • Thank you received: 3
Is phosphatidylserine the same as l-serine? I was recommended l-serine for skin and hypoglycemia from a naturopath. I tried phosphatidylserine for insomnia (i have high evening and morning cortisol) and did not find it to work. I wonder if l-serine would work instead since my insomnia is hypoglycemic related.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Phosphatidylserine for high evening cortisol 7 years 10 months ago #14

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
No phosphatidylserine is a phospholipid that is used in the structure of cell membranes (particularly brain cells) and keeps them healthy. L-serine is combined with phosphate and fatty substances in the body to create phosphatidylserine.

Phosphatidylserine and l-serine have different functions within the body....so no they're not the same.

If your insomnia is hypoglycemia-related then anything that helps your body maintain balanced blood sugar levels should help you sleep better. Have you looked into chromium and glucose-tolerance factor (GTF), l-glutamine, vitamins B3 and B6 etc?
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re: Phosphatidylserine for high evening cortisol 7 years 10 months ago #15

• True
  • EiR Junior
thank you so much Maff. I spent so much time looking online for this answer and couldnt find it any where. Do you have any links or search tips where I could read more?

Yes I have tried all the usual and unusual supplements for blood sugar and either they dont work or they work a little and worsen the insomnia. Very frustrating.

Re: Phosphatidylserine for high evening cortisol 7 years 10 months ago #16

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
No problem True!

To learn more you could start with doing a search for "phospholipids" and "amino acids" and doing some basic reading on Wikipedia and the like. If you understand the basics you'll be in a better position to understand more specific information like the differences between l-serine and phosphatidylserine.

For medical research I always start by searching scholar.google.com - very easy to use and find relevant studies.

Amazon and Google Books can also be very useful as they let you read sections of helpful books with their preview features.
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re: Phosphatidylserine for high evening cortisol 7 years 10 months ago #17

• True
  • EiR Junior
great tips maff, thank you again!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maff

Phosphatidylserine for high evening cortisol 3 years 7 months ago #18

This conversation is quite old, but I thought I'd add that I have had a lot of success using rhodiola extract. I had been experiencing high cortisol in the evenings, probably due to having a gut infestation (yeast organisms) for many years and my immune system never settles to a "resting" state.

I've had more results with the extract (taken 4x per day) than the capsules (directions say take once per day). This is the stuff I use:
www.herb-pharm.com/products/product-detail/rhodiola

Article about rhodiola for cortisol management:
www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2011/9/Re...igh-Cortisol/Page-01

I've also gotten great sleep using ashwagandha, although there doesn't seem to be any useful dosage or time-of-day I can take it without still feeling very tired until afternoon the following day. A friend suggested that maybe it is doing something to calm my adrenals, and the restorative stuff that happens then is so addicting to my body that it wants to just keep going that way. I'd like to take a long vacation sometime and take ashwagandha every day for a few weeks to see what happens.

Related Articles:

Time to create page: 0.280 seconds