Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: I'm new here help!!

Re:I'm new here help!! 9 years 1 month ago #7

• Loulou
  • EiR Junior
sorrrry me again. Whats the bestest strongest probiotic?!
I currently take biocare at 8million but I really feel i need about a hundred zillion million..............:ohmy:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:I'm new here help!! 9 years 1 month ago #8

• Loulou
  • EiR Junior
Phoned dr georges mouton lovely secretary today and looks like with cobsukations and tests that it will come to a good £1000!! :(

Re:I'm new here help!! 9 years 1 month ago #9

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
Hey Louisa,

The yoga classes sound great! I'm sure they will help with your stress/anxiety...all of the Eastern energy practices are great for this and the benefits show themselves very quickly.

Bad news about the cost to see Dr. Mouton. This is the problem we face unfortunately when the NHS won't cover tests and treatment. Private doctor's fees are generally around £150 for a consultation and single lab tests can be as much as a few hundred Pounds! If you can afford I would still have a consultation but then check with your GP to see if any of the tests can be done on the NHS. Private doctors will often write to your GP to explain WHY the tests are needed which often helps a lot. I would also recommend you do as much reading as possible on this site and others and educate yourself about your illness so you can better decide which tests will provide useful information and which are likely to be a waste of money...

Probiotics are a very complex subject. In terms of strength (numbers of colony forming units (CFUs)) then a product called VSL#3 wins hands down with 450 billion bacteria per sachet - it has some fairly decent research to back it up in a number of gastrointestinal conditions but unfortunately is very expensive (£50+ per month). A product called Align, which contains the bacteria Bifidobacterium infantis (Bifantis), has the most reliable research behind it (particularly in IBS) and many people who have tried it report good results - it does contain a number of suspect additives though. You could always make your own probiotics. Look up information about homemade kefir online ;)

There hasn't been much research into the use of probiotics in ME/chronic fatigue syndrome but a few small studies have found them to help. See - Probiotics help emotional symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome

Hope some of this helps!<br /><br />Post edited by: Maff, at: 2010/08/26 12:59
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re:I'm new here help!! 9 years 1 month ago #10

• Loulou
  • EiR Junior
Thanks!!
Oooo vsl#3 sounds fab. Will it give die off do you think being that strong?
Great idea about just having a cinsultation then see what tests needed and get them done on nhs?...my doc is pretty understanding and very modern and hates giving out anti biotics(shame didn't have that doctor when years ago!!!)
actually seeing doc Tuesday as felt like I had tummy bug in me on and off past 10 days so wanted her to check me over and see if anything in their!

Thank you so much for your kind generous advice it's really helping. Just want to concentrate more on my emotional side too aswell as that is abit out of kilta with all this going on!

Re:I'm new here help!! 9 years 1 month ago #11

• Loulou
  • EiR Junior
homemade kefir looks foul :-( !

Re:I'm new here help!! 9 years 1 month ago #12

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
Yes, kefir is definitely an acquired taste!! It's worth trying though as you essentially end up with a very cheap but effective probiotic ;)

It's certainly possible to get die-off symptoms from a probiotic, especially such a high potency product as VSL#3. I personally get die-off symptoms (associated with brain and nervous system) when taking any probiotic...but everyone is different. You can reduce the chances of nasty side-effects and see how you go by starting at a low dose and slowly building up. Also make sure your body's paths of elimination are well supported, so drink plenty of water and eat plenty of fibrous foods.

Good to hear you have an understanding GP. I can really relate...it is only in the past 5 years that I have found a GP practice where the doctor's are open-minded and willing to do whatever they can to help. I have never asked much of my GPs in the past but still got the distinct impression I was simply an irritation to them (I have been ill 19 years, since I was 12).

Good luck when you visit your GP next week and I let us know how you get on with the yoga!
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Related Articles:

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds