Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: I need someone's help

I need someone's help 8 years 11 months ago #1

Hi.
I hope alot of people post here. I was looking around and I didn't see very many of recent, but I will try anyway because I am desperate.
I was diagnosed 5 years ago with Gastroparesis, IBS-D, and Fructose intollorance. It has not been fun. Then, 5 months ago I became in great pain, and I didn't know what was wrong.
My Symptoms: Diarrhea, severe bloating, severe pain in abdominals (which I still have everyday) back pain, nasty taste and smell
All of these symptoms have not changed. I am currently on my 4th antibiotic. Flagyl. Does anyone know if this one will work? I had a good GI doctor, but she recently left the area and I was forced to go to a new one, which I do not like at all. He dosent seem to want to get me out of pain. And I just want the pain to stop.
I am also taking Culturelle .. 2 capsules a day and acidolpholis. Am I doing the right thing? I just need someone to help. Thankyou
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: I need someone's help 8 years 11 months ago #2

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
Hi,

I hope more people will reply and be able to help you. The lack of recents posts is due to the site being upgraded which caused some disruption. Things should pick up again now.

It sounds like you have a complicated situation (like most of us here!). Could you tell us a bit about your diet. I assume you avoid fruit and foods containing fructose? The new symptom you describe sound like those you would expect with malabsorption which would ocur if you eat something you can't digest well e.g. fructose. Have you changed your diet recently?

Also, antibiotics are a well known cause of diarrhea. Have you discussed this with your doctor?

Probiotics such as Culturelle and L. acidophilus are a good idea after short courses of antibiotics to help repopulate the gut with 'friendly bacteria' but if you take them at the same time as antibiotics they are likely to be killed along with any pathogenic bacteria...so you might be wasting your money!

If you can give us some more information we might be able to help you some more.

Take care.
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re: I need someone's help 8 years 10 months ago #3

Hi,
I am sorry I didn't add anymore. The pain is getting to me.
In october I was diagnosed with bacterial overgrowth. I tryed 2 antibiotics and they didn't work. The doctors thought I didn't have it anymore, but I still had all the same symptoms. Pain in my stomach, very severe bloating, gas, diarrhea, and very bad taste and smell. I finally got my doctor to have me retest for bacterial overgrowth and it was possitive again. So I took Xifaxan. It didn't work either. Now I am on Flagyl and I still don't feel better. But I am eating sugar and carbs and I heard that the bacteria feeds on this?? I only eat very small amounts of chocolate everyday and toast. That is all I can eat in one day. There is so much pressure inside of me that I can't fit anything else in. I take tramadol for the pain, which I know isn't good for Gastroparesis, but I have to the pain is so severe. I normally have severe bloating and dirrhea with ibs. So thats pretty much it. I am now looking into herbal remedies to get rid of this. I honestly feel like I could die from this. In fact, I feel like I am dying and dont know what to do.
Thankyou

Re: I need someone's help 8 years 10 months ago #4

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
Hi,

So sorry that you are in such unbearable pain at the moment. You must also be very frustrated that none of the antibiotics have helped. I have been fighting my illness (CFS, IBS, MCS etc) for 20 years and have suffered many set backs but also some breakthroughs. We can never give up as the answers to our prayers might be closer than we think!

Given your symptoms I am somewhat surprised your doctors have not given you any advice about your diet to help tackle the bacterial overgrowth. Having said that many doctors just assume antibiotics will take care of it and don't give it another thought. Well done for pushing them to redo the test ;)

Bacteria are very adaptable and will tend to use whatever source of nutrition is available to them to survive but you are right that carbohydrates are a source of energy for them and tend to cause most of the digestive symptoms of bacterial overgrowth such as bloating, gas and pain. This is because when the bacteria digest carbohydrates they release various gases (e.g. methane, hydrogen sulphide).

Chocolate and bread/toast are generally recommended to be avoided by those with bacterial overgrowth. Have you tried cutting these out of your diet to see if you feel better?

I would recommend you search online for low carbohydrate diets for bacterial overgrowth. It is often referred to as small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) so you would want to include that in your searches. The specific carbohydrate diet (SCD) is one that is used by many people and there is a lot of information about it on the internet and in books. It would be good if you could find a nutritionist who is experienced in helping those with your health concerns.

I would also recommend you read Bacterial Overgrowth in IBS and look up Dr. Mark Pimental. I assume you are in LA? I think Dr. Pimental is based there too.

I hope you find relief from the pain and get the help you need soon.

Take care,

Maff
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re: I need someone's help 8 years 10 months ago #5

Hi.
Thankyou for replying back to me. I am really at the end of my rope and don't know what to do.
I have so many conditions and I don't know if I can eat the scd diet. There is honey in most of the reciepies and I can't have honey. I also can't have coconut milk. It is forbidden, being fructose intolorant. Should I ask my doctor to see a nutritionist?? I don't know if they even know about the diet. Also, I can't eat soups really. My IBS is so severe I have constant diarrhea and I have to take questran powder in drinks to control the diarrhea. Have you ever heard of it?? Soups make my stools so gross. Really soft. And I can't eat eggs right now because everything smells and tastes like rotten eggs from the overgrowth. It is so gross.
The doctors never told me not to eat sugar or carbs while on the antibiotics so Idid. I guess that made it worse.
I friend suggested I take serrapeptase. It is some kind of an herb that cleans out the intestinal walls of all this junk. She said it would help the pain to. Have you ever heard of it??
I am disabled and recieve disability income, so I really can't afford to spend a fortune on all this kind of stuff. I have to be sure it won't hurt me and that will help.
Sorry, I don't live in LA. I live in Iowa. I was born in LA. That is why my name is that. I will google more info on it.
Thanks for your input, if you can provide anymore help please do.
My name is Trish

Re: I need someone's help 8 years 10 months ago #6

Hi Trish, I hope you are feeling a little better by the time you read this. Would you consider seeing a naturopath or homeopath? They would work with your body to strengthen it and help you get off the antibiotics which kill all the good bacteria along with the bad. Most prescription medications will irritate your bowel which is the last thing you need. Antibiotics will also weaken your immune system. Don't expect your doctor to agree with this. The side effects from one medication get treated with another etc etc so you would be good business for your doctor!
I take In-Liven for general gut health which keeps my candida under control. I no longer have bloating.I remember hearing of good results for IBS so have copied a testimonial from the website and attached it, as well as an article on probiotics and gut health. (The testimonial is on this page: http://[url=http://]goodliving.mionegroup.com/en/testimonials[/url] not quite halfway down the page.) It is important to understand how the digestive system works in order to treat it, so hope you find the info useful. You may be able to purchase In-Liven from your health or organic food store, but I'm not sure as I live in Australia. Otherwise you can get in online: goodliving.mionegroup.com/en/product/15101 (sorry, I'm new to this post and not sure how the hyperlinks work so you may have to copy & paste).
Because of your health issues you would need to start with only 1/4 teaspoon and gradually build up to 1 teaspoon. Also, it would be unwise for you to take it in juice so if not tolerated in water you could sprinkle on any food you are able to eat. As you get stronger you can increase to 1 teaspoon 3x per day until symptoms reduce and then return to 1 teaspoon per day.
When in pain it's easy to forget to breath!Try to take long slow breaths in and out and keep thinking positively. This will help relieve stress (dis-ease). The mind has incredible power over the body. I pray that this helps you. Let me know how you get on. :)
Attachments:

Related Articles:

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds