Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: IBS type symptoms

Re: IBS type symptoms 8 years 5 months ago #13

• heavy__1
  • EiR Newbie
Hi all,

thanks for the suggestions, am looking into everything said now.

maff- do you not think it maybe SIBO then as we talked about earlier?
as a side note from my results what can i begin doing or taking to alleviate this problem?

Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: IBS type symptoms 8 years 5 months ago #14

• heavy__1
  • EiR Newbie

Re: IBS type symptoms 8 years 5 months ago #15

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
Hi,

Hope some of our suggestions help you out.

It's very hard to say either way on SIBO from those test results. Stool tests are pretty much useless when it comes to diagnosing SIBO for the simple reason that the stool forms in the colon so its composition is not indicative of microbial colonies in the small intestine. To get a better idea of whether SIBO is present I would recommend SIBO hydrogen/methane breath test, gut fermentation profile (Biolab only), or a urinary organic acids test which GDX, metametrix and other labs do I believe.

What to do now is a big question with many possible answers. Since it looks like you have excessive bacterial fermentation it might be worth taking betaine HCl and digestive enzyme supplements to ensure complete digestion of your food and also consider a diet low in fermentable foods such as the Specific Carbohyrdrate Diet (SCD), Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) diet, or the FODMAPS diet. You can look all these up online - lots of info out there.

For other ideas take a look at the Candida/Gut Dysbiosis articles and news sections here on EiR. Lots of info there!

I would work with a nutritional medicine doctor or nutritional therapist on this however as it can get complex and frustrating trying to deal with it by yourself...trust me ;)
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re: IBS type symptoms 8 years 5 months ago #16

• Maff
  • Administrator
Good find. Metametrix documentation is excellent for test interpretation. They publish a textbook for medical professionals called Laboratory Evaluations for Integrative and Functional Medicine

Re: IBS type symptoms 8 years 5 months ago #17

• heavy__1
  • EiR Newbie
Hi guys,

To give you an update i am currently waiting on my practitioner consultation that will take place next week. Getting a little apprehensive as it is frustrating living this way each day.

I have researched my own results along with the help of you guys (thanks maff and stache)

so far i have figured out the following:

I have been reviewing my results and have interpreted i am suffering from

LOW PH
ELEVATED SCFA
NO LACTO BACTERIA PRESENT

Also my bile acids are low, but it is when it is high that there is a risk of cancer etc so am not too worried about that at the moment.

After reviewing my results in accordance to the link below it points to me maybe having SIBO:
docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:SsmJR...VT3XzpQDJzT7hxz6oNKw

will keep you updated with whats going on :)

Re: IBS type symptoms 8 years 5 months ago #18

• Maff
  • Administrator
Hey,

Yes, that's definitely what your test result is showing but those markers can be interpreted in different ways. A single test in isolation never gives the full story.

The elevated SCFA and low pH definitely point to a lot of fermentation going on somewhere in the GI tract...the question is where. I don't think you can conclude from this test that it's SIBO. The excessive fermentation could very well be in the colon.

To confuse things further, Lactobacilli are themselves fermentative bacteria so simply taking probiotics to add those into the mix might actually worsen things if no other action is taken. I think I mentioned before but I would definitely get an SIBO Breathe test done before taking any action if it were me.

Sorry to give you more questions than answers. Not much help am I! ;)

Related Articles:

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds