Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: SIBO/Candida

SIBO/Candida 11 years 1 month ago #1

• teacupmama
  • EiR Newbie
  • Thank you received: 1
After years of trying to treat my candida with everything from diet to threelac to olive leaf to shots from mexico etc etc. I finally went to MD desperate for relief. After undergoing a Colonoscopy, endoscopy, ultrasounds, ct scans.....:sick: finally breath tested positive for sibo. Went on xifan unwillingly and of course it made my symptoms worse. Dr wanted me to have a small bowel follow thru where I drink 3 cups of barium (a heavy metal):S I canceled the day before worried that with my condition was so bad already and I am progressively getting worse also I am horribly constipated it would make my symptoms worse and the barium would never leave my bowels. Now back on several natural \"cures\" probiotics, antifungals...no relief...went online and to a bookstore trying to find a diet or ? to help. Left even more confused with so many conflicting ideas of how to treat IBS. Desperate for relief I thought maybe cleansing colon with enemas and colonics. Has anyone had any success treating this ailment when it is this bad? I am in chronic pain and have 0 quality of life so any help would be welcome
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:SIBO/Candida 11 years 1 month ago #2

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
Hi,

Welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately your story is familiar to many of us. I have also had ultrasounds, a colonoscopy, endoscopy along with breath tests and various other tests from functional testing labs. So at least you're in good company ;)

I think you certainly did the right thing regarding the barium procedure. If you're badly constipated probably not the smartest thing to go through with.

On the subject of treatment it sounds like you're doing all the right things. Colonics or enemas may well help with your constipation so be well worth doing for that purpose. I have experience using them for this purpose and as a last resort they are very effective and not as unpleasant as all that. They will not however treat your SIBO and Candida problems as these are affecting the small intestine rather than the colon.

To really tackle these you may have to go for the heavy guns and use antibiotics such as metronidazole or ciprofloxacin to tackle the SIBO and fluconazole (Diflucan) for the Candida while taking high strength probiotics such as VSL#3. Of course you will need a willing doctor. Please check out this post for ways to find an environmental medicine doctor.

Such a doctor could also look at why you have developed these problems in the first place e.g. poor immunity, poor digestion (lack of stomach acid and digestive enzymes.) These problems can then be treated through various means such as nutritional supplements.

Hope this helps somewhat!<br /><br />Post edited by: Maff, at: 2008/09/15 16:25
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re:SIBO/Candida 10 years 7 months ago #3

• Marina
  • EiR Newbie
Is the breath test for SIBO the same as the one used by NHS to diagnose H.Pylori?
Does the breath test for SIBO show which bacteria is causing symptoms?
As for the IBS, one of the theories I found is that when one is dehydrated, the intestine is trying to squeeze water from the waste, this causing the pain. I tried the water and I think it works, I am certain it works. It was more evident at one time when I was taking co-codamol which is known to cause constipation. There are many guides on how much water to drink, when and what attention should pay to electrolytes. You need to drink the water regularly over a few days and if you don’t like simple water, try adding a hint of fresh lemon juice to either hot or cold water; try drinking it instead of some or all of the teas and coffees and if you take sugar in your tea, just try taking it with the water (this is my home made recipe!).
At the moment, I am also testing drinking 2 cups of milk (sometimes I add a pinch of salt! I use the lo-salt which has sodium and potassium) well after meal, just before bed time. It might not be good for candida but I think it gets the bowels moving over night. This might be due to the properties of milk which I found documented in some web-sites.

Re:SIBO/Candida 10 years 7 months ago #4

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
Hi Marina,

The breath tests for SIBO and H.pylori are very similar from the patient's perspective. In both cases you are given a special drink and then a sample of your breath is collected some time later.

However, the contents of the drinks and the chemicals being tested for a different. With the H.pylori test the drink contains urea, which itself contains 'labelled' isotopes of carbon. If H.pylori is present in the stomach it will metabolise the urea producing carbon dioxide which can be detected in the breath. With the SIBO test the drink contains sugars such as lactulose which the body does not absorb. Instead bacteria in the gut metabolise the sugars and produce hydrogen which is then tested for in the breath. A high level of hydrogen indicating SIBO. Breath samples may be taken periodically over a few hours which allows the lab to determine roughly where in the intestines the bacteria are located. This test is known as the Hydrogen Breath Test (HBT), although sometimes methane is also tested for (another bacterial metabolite).

I hope that helped!

Thanks for sharing your tips for IBS. Adequate water intake can certainly be an issue in constipation-predominant IBS and is essential for regular bowel movements. I have not heard of milk being of help but with illnesses such as IBS you have to go with what works in most cases. You may not have any issues with Candida or dairy intolerance anyway so if it doesn't cause any symptoms I'd say stick with it!
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re:SIBO/Candida 10 years 7 months ago #5

• Marina
  • EiR Newbie
Thanks Maff. It does help. I wonder why the SIBO breath tests are not done more often? They might not always be conclusive but they might help to diagnose SIBO sooner rather than later. I’ve not had a breath test since 2003 and that was for H.Pylori only.
To be honest I do not really know what issues I have but, whatever it is, it does not let me be. After many years of discomfort, I was diagnosed in year 2000 with H.Pylori, I was treated with Metronidazole and Clarythromycin and the symptoms went for a while then they returned. I was re-tested for H.Pylori and the result was negative.
Recently, I was diagnosed with vaginal b-haemolytic streptococcus and Candida. By chance I was given the same treatment as in 2000 plus Fluconazole. However, this time I was given Metronidazole only, to start with, while the results came from the lab. It turned out that the Streptococcus was sensitive to Penicillin and Clarythromycin but, by then, I nearly finished the Metrodinazole. As I was not due to take the Fluconazole until after the end of the antibiotics, I found that by then the Candida has affected me all the way to the mouth and face. The GP gave me extra Fluconazole and creams for my face. It has been an interesting experience. I believe that some of the many symptoms that I had after the 2000 treatment will have been due to the Candida not treated then or ever (during the 6 years antibiotics therapy for acne).
The symptoms (specially the flatulence and the bloating) have cleared for a while and then they started to build up again and I continue to get this anxiety from what it could be the small intestine. Also I feel that the Metronidazole has also, by chance, treated other intestinal parasites.
I wonder if, same as the dogs, humans also need to be wormed now and again. I have started to pay more attention and to understand my dog’s behaviour, eating pattern, how some days he does not want his food, etc. He is a happy dog and his body gets over it eventually, sometimes with some de-worming help. Who knows?!
The milk which I am trying at the moment is also interesting. If I were to judge by some of its effects (occasional explosive emptying of the bowels, sometimes twice within the hour) I would say that I do not tolerate milk but I don’t think that is the case. I cannot be allergic one minute and then not allergic the next minute. However, it feels that any parasites affecting the intestines get well fed (soaked in milk!) and then pushed out. I feel relieved, no bloating or flatulence for a while. I don’t know! I am using the milk cure for a few days at the time when my symptoms get worse.
Perhaps it is worth mentioning that the GP has also put me on iron tablets for the last 6 months. This was following the symptoms I had when I was invaded by Candida. While my Haemoglobin is around 14, the Ferritin was on the low side. It appears that the blood maintains its composition even when the rest of the body is short and the body has to become extremely deficient before the blood tests show it!? Although my skin is nice and pink now, I am not sure if I really need this iron or I am providing it for the parasites so we can all live happily together.
I understand that we need the bacteria and fungi to stay alive but, they should keep each other under control and perhaps it is a matter of understanding how they work and helping them to keep each other under control, by diet and sometimes by using medication. I feel that the water is also a must. Treating one of them and too often might allow the others to take over.
I only started to read about health issues because my test results always come back ‘normal’ yet I continued to feel unwell. Now, I realise how difficult it must be for doctors to know what is wrong with anyone just by spending the few minutes during the appointments.
I feel relatively better now but it has taken much understanding of myself and of my past medical history and used medication. I am ready to settle down; I understand how complex everything is.
Has anyone noticed that the Canesten cream for Candida now comes with a dose of oral Fluconazole included? I wonder why?
This is getting very long and I am getting lost a bit. I hope it makes some sense.

Re:SIBO/Candida - metronidazole and ciprofloxacin 7 years 3 months ago #6

• Bushi
  • EiR Senior
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi all, I know this was an old post but I thought I'd see if there was any newer advice from people out there....

I've just been give a 3 month course of metronidazole and ciprofloxacin. I have to rotate each one every two weeks. I have to say I am a little worried about doing this. He also gave me QUESTRAN Light which I have never tried and don't know too much about.

I live in the UK and finally found a hospital that seems to be a little ahead of the game and they ran a whole bunch of test on me. I think they realised that I have been suffering with diahhrea with 20 years so they weren't going to cut any corners with me. So.....I ran the following tests:

Gastrosocopy - All clear
Colonoscopy - 3 poloyps found - otherwise all clear - no inflammation.
Numerous blood tests- all clear
Celiac sample taken - clear
MRI Scan - all clear

Breath tests:
Fructose test - negative - all clear (so happy about this one!)
Lactose test- negative - all clear
H-Pylori - negative - all clear (I had eradicated this two years prior)
SIBO - Hydrogen Breath test. - Positive - peaked quite high.

So, finally i had a positive result back officially telling me that it is not all in my mind!
A couple of years ago I ran the SIBO test myself through a private clinic which tested positive, so I knew something wasn't right. The problem was my local GP had never heard of the breath tests and didn't know what to do. So I bought Rifaximin myself online and took a two week course. Unfortunately it did nothing.

I then saw Dr Professor Brostoff a renowned food allergy expert. He put me on a 10 course of nystatin which did nothing. He didn't help much after that.

A while later i found Dr Myhill and through her I ran a stomach acid test which came back positive indicating low stomach acid. I also ran a metametrix test which suggested I had very high levels of candida but my levels of good bacteria seemed ok. I would highly recommend her. She really helped to point me in the right direction and was open to different treatment approaches.

So over the last two years I have tried just about everything under the sun:

Hydrogen peroxide protocol -
Iodine protocol
Oil of oregano protocol
Large does of ascorbic acid (timed release vitamin C)
Thyme oil
clove oil
Betain Hydrochloric Acid (HCL)
Digestive enzymes
Probiotics (VSL3, UDOs, Ultimate Flora critical, S.boulaardi care etc) - so very good ones)
lactoferrin
Kefir
Diets: Fodmaps, Gaps, SCD, Paleo, Low histmaine, etc..)
The list goes on and on and on............

Nothing has really helped at all.

(by the way, while on holiday in Turkey last year I bought myself Nystatin and Itraconozole and took that for about 3 weeks to try and reduce any candida i may have had. It didn't relieve my symptoms at all but it didn't make things worse either. I also bought another course with Rifaxmin and Metronidazole as a backup just in case I didn't get any support from any doctors. So far I haven't used them but have them on standby).

So yesterday I chatted to the Gastro at the hospital and as i mentioned earlier he has given me the 3 month course of antibiotics. When I told him about the acid tablets i take with every meal he said if it hasn't helped to stop taking them even though my acid test indicated i have low stomach acid. He seemed quite dismissive. And when I pointed out the levels of candida from my metametrix test he also seemed to brush over and murmered to himself.

The problem with the HCL tabs is that I never get that 'burning' sensation, no matter how many I take. I've taken up to 7 with meals (650mgs) with no effect at all. I told the Gastro Dr this and didn't seem to really answer my question and said that you really don't need that much acid in the small bowel. I'm still going to continue taking one tablet with each meal though.

I also mentioned Histmaine Intolerance and how testing for this is routinely carried out in Austria and Germany but again he dismissed it saying that histmaine was on every type of food.

I metioned to him that i was considering fecal transplantation and he seemed to know a lot about Borody's work and said it was something to bear in mind for the future. Let's hope Borody creates that pill he's working on sometime soon!

Anyway....it was only when I mentioend taking probiotics to the Gastro that he said it was probably a good idea. However, he said "yeah, take something like the supermarket brand Yakult". I was surprised because I think Yakult is a very basic probiotic and was full of sugar. I told him I had VSl3 and a couple of of others lying around and he agreed they are much better. He said that there is a chance that I could catch bugs like C-dificil etc..because my natural bacterial defences would be depleted while on the antibiotics. That worried me quite a bit.

So my question is....is there a particular probiotic brand i should take while on these antibiotics? How often should I take them? Will they have any impact at all if I am taking probiotics throughout the day? Do i stand to worsen my symptoms? Should i take anything else with them? I still have some more antifungals I mentioned earlier which I could take. I have heard that metronidazole can be very harsh on the stomach and I am quite worried about that too. Alcohol is a complete no - no with this one!

Interestingly the Gastro, when I asked him said that he has seen a 60% success rate with this treatment. I have to say that I am not very hopeful at all. I've tried so many other things in the past and nothing has made the slightest difference.

And lastly, I've just started taking something called COLOSTRUM. I think Maff has a few references to it. Many people are raving about it and how it can heal the digestive tract. If you goolgle Colostrum and Dr Snow you'll get some good info on it. And here's an article recently published in the Guardian discussing how athletes are taking it. Supposedly it's much better than whey protein for sports. Just don't think too much about what Colostrum actually is! ...:-)

Here's the article link

[url=http://link]http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.guardian.co.uk%2Flifeandstyle%2F2012%2Fjun%2F24%2Fho[/url]

Thanks to all

Bushi:

Daily Symptoms:
Gast, brain-fog, inflamed feeling in stomach, gas, undigested food, tenesmus (the frequent urge to go to the loo), diahrrea to varying degrees, allergies, creaking stomach, cramps, bloating etc..

sorry for long entry any spelling mistakes! I'm at work and have no type to proof read! :-)
Last Edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Bushi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan B.

Related Articles:

Time to create page: 0.352 seconds