Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Educating the NHS about MCS

Educating the NHS about MCS 5 years 7 months ago #1

Hello

I'm a recent member of EIR and would appreciate suggestions as to how I might move forward with the following. I work for the NHS in Birmingham UK and I have recently written to the Chief Executive to raise the issue of working towards a "fragrance free" environment. I'm pleased to say that he has responded positively to my initial contact and I will be meeting with the director of the estates department (they deal with cleaning products and building maintenance) in a couple of weeks time.

As you know the NHS operates and makes decisions largely on "evidence" being available to support any changes and I dont just want to present him with my personal story of living with MCS for the last 12 years. I would like to provide him with some useful references that might help to move this forward and who knows our NHS trust could be pioneering in this area. One can hope!!!

Can anyone help with this, any thoughts/suggestions welcome.

Thank you

Bridget
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Educating the NHS about MCS 5 years 7 months ago #2

• Kiahjo
  • EiR Newbie
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi Bridget,
I have accumulated many articles re: this topic. Ironically, I work for a major medical organization in the US that does not have a fragrance free policy. I have wanted to submit a letter or start a process to encourage this. I've gathered the info but then because of the effects of the mcs, I haven't been able to put it all together into a finished product. Perhaps as a group we could work together on this. I'm happy to forward what I have but not sure how to do this in this forum. I can try to go through and get the article titles or send the articles/resources themselves…. This is where my mind goes foggy with ideas :) Suggestions?

Educating the NHS about MCS 5 years 7 months ago #3

• Jodie
  • Thank you received: 67
Kiahjo, could you possibly put links to the articles in a reply here? Also Bridget, I bet if you google you will come up with half a hundred research papers on the adverse effects of fragrances on peoples' health, it's been known about for many years. I even remember my brothers who both had asthma having to stay away from fragrances & body sprays etc & that was 40 years ago! I'm sure there's something on NHS Direct website that says fragrances make ppl sick - effectively saying they should not be used in an NHS setting. I'll try and dig it out..

Educating the NHS about MCS 5 years 7 months ago #4

• Jodie
Bridget, this is the post I was looking for..

www.ei-resource.org/forum/multiple-chemi...rfumes-make-you-ill/

Educating the NHS about MCS 5 years 7 months ago #5

• Jodie
Kiahjo, I meant to add you can add attachments to your posts here too - click "reply" rather than using the "quick reply" box & there is an option to add attachments for any documents you'd like to share.

Educating the NHS about MCS 5 years 7 months ago #6

Hi
Thank you for your reply

I would be really interested in anything you have accumulated that might be helpful to present to the NHS manager I will be meeting on the 11th March. I gather that it is possible to forward attachments once you click the "reply" icon. I dont want to overwhelm him with material at the first meeting but I see it as an opportunity to show him that evidence from reliable sources does exist!!
Bridget

• Page:

Related Articles:

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds