Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Wooden flooring with MCS

Wooden flooring with MCS 5 years 6 months ago #1

• Jodie
  • Thank you received: 67
We are considering laying wooden flooring on concrete living room floor in in a few months's time, will keep you posted on any issues in case anyone's thinking of doing the same. Tho advice seems to vary from one supplier to another as to how to lay and fix these, but I've acquired quite a lot of info so far which might be useful!

Wood itself has VOC's which might upset some ppl so worth getting tester samples - it even offgasses its own natural formaldehyde, tho would hope all that gets locked in to some extent by the oils or laquers the wood is finished with.

Avoid wood from China - you have no idea what they've treated it with.

Engineered wood consists of (usually) 3 layers : Birch + pine (aka spruce) + your choice of hardwood top layer. You can have lacquered or oiled finish. The layers are glued together. Because of the glues & laquer/oil (so far have not found unfinished engineered wood) you need a really good eco supplier and I've found Kahrs to be the best at customer service & sending technical documents for *everything* they use.
Boen are another - tho finding their samples giving me probs, don't know why. They were also slightly less forthcoming with info.
Engineered wood is much easier to lay (on concrete floor) than solid wood. The sections click together - no need to slather the entire area with glue. You need plastic/reflective underlay - this is a 2 in 1 thing, very thin, doesn't smell or seem to cause me a prob & helps significantly with sound reduction. Again get hold of samples for everything ! Possibly don't need if laying on floor other than concrete, except it will help reduce noise.

This is known as a 'floating floor', not stuck to anything but itself.

The wood appears to need to 'acclimatise ' for 3 days sitting around your house. Solid wood takes longer - about 7 days apparently.

If laying on concrete, the concrete might need levelling out, you don't want your wood shifting around due to uneven surfaces.

Solid Wood If planks are less than 150mm wide you can apparently also do a 'floating floor' system with these. Any bigger and the whole of the concrete floor gets slathered with a very thick layer of glue, tho I have found occasional mention that metal attachments might be used instead to fix the planks together - keep you posted on that one.

There are 'Eco' glues for wood flooring which you can trial - you can order sample pots in UK from Ecos.Co., www.ecosorganicpaints.co.uk (maybe others?) who also sell their own Eco varnishes and a sealant for off gassing problems.
The sealant I found had quite a long lasting gluey smell of its own (still there 1 month later), so wasn't keen, tho it did successfully seal the smell off a pine wood piece.
Their matt varnish was not as solid as the stuff used on the Kahrs or Boen lacquered samples - after a couple of weeks I ran a fingernail across my tester pieces and it left a mark there - not exactly a scratch but a subtle waxy mark.. it also has a varnishy smell tho not overwhelming, but 3 weeks later it was still noticeable when I stuck my nose right up to the test wood!
Still something to consider, & could use if desperate .
I tried a thick layer of Ecos wood glue on a tester piece, had a pretty strong gluey smell, then 6 hours later had dried solid and no smell at all.

Solid wood also needs underlay as above, if laid on concrete, tho how that works with the wood having to be glued down I'm not sure, at that point we'd decided to go with engineered wood so that would need looking into. If you are ok with polypropylene or other typical carpet underlays you can also add those - they will deaden the sound issues of hardwood floor even more.

Laminate This seems to cover a multitude of possibilities - one reply from suppliers : "Laminate has an MDF core and pvc top layer." However I was recommended Tarkett by another MCS'er - here's their page for Laminate - home.tarkett.com/choose-my-floor/all-abo...enefits#.VJGAFUur8Vs

I've also had strong recommendations for Pergo Flooring www.pergo.co.uk/en-GB/environment

Have to give these guys a plug if you are in the US - they are incredibly helpful !
www.greenbuildingsupply.com/All-Products
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Jodie.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anti Pollution Mask - U-Mask the best biotech respirator

ADVERTISEMENT

Wooden flooring with MCS 5 years 1 month ago #2

• Lilies32
  • EiR Newbie
Have you had any fitted?
What about vinyl flooring?

Wooden flooring with MCS 5 years 1 month ago #3

• Jodie
Not yet no, in the middle of painting a small room ready to do tester wooden floor. White paint over original bright blue, 4th coat coming up :-/ I have not even considered vinyl but same rules apply, do the research, find the safest, test samples, find out about glues etc, fit a test area first if you can..
Last Edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Jodie.

Wooden flooring with MCS 4 years 11 months ago #4

• Jodie
Finally! small room finished with this oakflooringdirect.co.uk/Kahrs-Oak-Abeton...200mm-Matt-Lacquered No reactions at all so far. Very easy to do, took the fitter 2 hours to saw wood & fit, including oak edging & QT underlay, the pieces just snap together. It does smell of wood of course, will take a while for that to disperse.
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Jodie.

Wooden flooring with MCS 4 years 9 months ago #5

Jodie wrote:
It does smell of wood of course, will take a while for that to disperse.

Hi Jodie. i am thinking of laminate or wood however I am concerned about wood smells. when you say wood smells were around, was that coming from the cut edges of the planks or from through the centre of the floor? if its the edges of the planks i suppose by sealingwith foil tape would have removed it? or would the wood smell still come through the surface even if you sealed the sides of the rooom?

where was it coming from exxactly? i might try but if i cant seal and remove the smell, i might just look elsewhere.

thanks

Wooden flooring with MCS 4 years 9 months ago #6

• Jodie
Hiya, I couldn't say exactly where the smell was coming from .. I'd get hold of some samples & seal off the cut sections then see if you can detect any smell coming from the rest of the piece..

Jodie

Related Articles:

Home Water Filters:

50% Off Aquasana Filtration Systems

ADVERTISEMENT

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds