Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Furnaces (Formaldehyde?)

Furnaces (Formaldehyde?) 5 years 3 months ago #1

• Pamp81
  • EiR Newbie
I am brand new here and am glad to have found this forum.
We are in a bit of a crisis situation right now, trying to find a furnace that my son and I can tolerate. We are both very chemically sensitive. We had a 2 year old gas furnace until a few days ago, and we could never tolerate it. Prior to that furnace, I had a gas furnace for 25 years with no problems.) We had the two year old furnace taken out out and had an electric furnace put in several days ago, and we can't tolerate it either. There is an unbearable feeling when it runs, and it feels very formaldehyde like.(Dizzy, headache, scratchy throat, fatigue.) We tried to find a furnace with formaldehyde free insulation, but can't seem to find one. We know for certain that we are very sensitive to formaldehyde. Some have suggested that it just needs to burn off, but we waited two years for the last one to be tolerable, and it never was. Plus, it doesn't really feel like burn off--there is no smell. We have NO idea what to do. We need a furnace and a/c in our climate, and we can't keep buying them to see if we can tolerate them, obviously. Does anyone know of an electric furnace with formaldehyde free insulation? It's a complicated situation, because we don't know for certain that formaldehyde is the problem here. Is there a chemical free electric furnace??
Thanks!
Pam
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anti Pollution Mask - U-Mask the best biotech respirator

ADVERTISEMENT

Furnaces (Formaldehyde?) 5 years 3 months ago #2

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 24
Hi Pamp81 and welcome to the site - I'm really sorry to read of your problems and particularly that your poor son is also affected.

I admit that my first thought was also to suggest that you may just need wait out an off-gas period with the electric furnace/boiler. All new electrical appliances tend to require this before they can potentially be used by those who are chemically sensitive without triggering symptoms and adverse reactions. From my own experiences with multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS) I know that you don't always need to be able to smell the chemicals to react to them, they may be at concentrations below your ability to smell them but they still cause symptoms.

Thinking a little deeper, would it be possible to relocate the furnace within your home to a garage or other space on your property that is not within your actual living space?

Also, could you let us know the city or region you are living in? This might help other members of the site to offer suggestions and hopefully details of local suppliers of formaldehyde-free electric furnaces.

Sorry I can't help further myself but I am in the UK and we use gas boilers vented to the exterior almost exclusively for heating rooms and water. They're not insulated at all as far as I am aware. I sincerely hope someone else can offer more specific help and wish you and your son the very best.
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Furnaces (Formaldehyde?) 5 years 5 days ago #3

• Pamp81
  • EiR Newbie
Thanks, Maff, for your reply. I actually just saw it today!
As an update, we tried ANOTHER electric furnace, this time one that has a different type of insulation, and it bothers us too, so we figure the insulation is not the problem. So our search to find an hvac system that we can tolerate continues. We may have to move and hope we never have to buy another new heating/cooling system!

Related Articles:

Home Water Filters:

50% Off Aquasana Filtration Systems

ADVERTISEMENT

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds