Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Antibiotic use

Antibiotic use 5 years 4 months ago #1

• CazNZ
  • EiR Newbie
  • Thank you received: 2
My response to chemicals has slowly declined, although I most certainly still have MCS. I've been having on going bowel issues for many many years (eventually I will require a bowel resection :dry: ) and it is coming to a time when I need to take antibiotics again. The last time, four years ago, my sensitivities all turned up. Whether it was taking the antibiotics or just going to happen at this time I do not know. My doctor feels certain that non-sulfa antibiotics should be ok for me.

I'd really appreciate hearing others point of view.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Antibiotic use 5 years 4 months ago #2

• Jodie
  • Thank you received: 67
I'd test a small dose first . 1/2 of an erythromycin pill sent me into shock & I was very unwell for a month. Doses for children & older folks are not as high ..for children they are titrated according to weight, but for adults it's "one size fits all" which needs to change for those of us who are intolerant to meds - we don't all necessarly need the same dose & for us it should be the absolute minimum & maybe built up gradually. I was told by a doc that generally 5 days' dosage is sufficient.. tho that wd depend on what u r trying to treat. I had to stop amoxycillin after 3 days but it still killed a sinus infection.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CazNZ

Antibiotic use 5 years 4 months ago #3

• HannaR
  • EiR Newbie
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi there,
I would advise caution here - I think antibiotics can aggravate sensitivities not just because you're reacting to the med, but because they affect your gut flora too. Also if you are mold-sensitive at all, that can be an issue. My Mum has had really wild reactions to antibiotics in the past, so I'm very aware of the concerns here. I wonder whether you could consider any herbal alternatives at all? (Obviously I don't know what in particular you're needing the antibiotics for at the mo). I recently read a book called Herbal antibiotics by Stephen Harrod Buhner, which I found a great source of info. There's a lot of really helpful products available if you can work out which might be suitable for you. Plus I've recently been hearing a lot about the benefits of essential oils for things like staph infections - they are amazingly potent too.
Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.
Take care now,
Hannah
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by HannaR.

Antibiotic use 5 years 4 months ago #4

• CazNZ
  • EiR Newbie
  • Thank you received: 2
That is very good advice Jodie to do a small test first.

HannaR my bowel was damaged during childhood due to being given oral iron tablets for many years - it caused pitting of the bowel. I'm "between a rock and a hard place" really and have used a number of things over the years. Just on 20 years ago I was told it was in a really severe state and that I'd need a bowel resection very soon. Oh how I wish they had done it then prior to the onset of MCS. My new doctor has trained in Texas. I'm in New Zealand which is an on going problem. My doctor returns to the States at the end of this year and she would like to get me on the waiting list to have the bowel resection. Having emergency surgery because of a perforated bowel would not be a good idea, whereas a planned for operation would be a lot wiser. So the first step is to completely clear the on going infections I get . . . go and have yet another good look and then if really needed I will cooperate and get the thing sorted once and for all. The doctor has already helped by getting me a medic alert and medical records which will "hopefully" assist medical "professionals" in the future.

Antibiotic use 5 years 4 months ago #5

• HannaR
  • EiR Newbie
  • Thank you received: 3
Hello again CazNZ,
Sorry it's taken me all week to reply and thanks for the further info! I am so sorry to hear about your bowel issues and quite understand the difficulties here. It's great to hear that you've been working with a sympathetic doctor and it sounds like a really helpful thing that she's taken steps to convey your needs to the other docs too. I am thinking the more info they have to work with the better. Sending you my very best wishes as you navigate your way through the treatment and I hope it has great outcomes for your health. Would be fantastic to hear more on your progress too, if you wanted to keep us posted!
Take care now,
Hannah

Related Articles:

Home Testing & Sanitizer:

ADVERTISEMENT

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds